PC Games Sales Still Sliding
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land

PC Games Sales Still Sliding

An item on GameDaily highlights that Jan-May '04 PC game sales are down a rather significant 23% on the same period last year:<blockquote><em>Another problem for the PC game market is the encroachment of consoles into areas that were previously only found on the PC. "I think PC gaming, prior to the release of this recent generation of consoles, has been the better of the two industries when it came to convergence of technologies," said Ow. "It was the first to incorporate DVD playback and online gaming. Over the past few years console gaming has become a different animal…it's become a product that is also perceived as an entertainment system and bringing families closer together, as it is more prone to be in the living room and competing for family time."</em></blockquote>The article does point out several blockbusters are expected in the second half, which will change the overall outlook for 2004. Read it all <a href="http://biz.gamedaily.com/features_new/pc_game_biz/index.asp" target="_blank">here</a>.
Post Wed Jul 21, 2004 5:10 pm

WOW, 23%!! But this reminds me of the RIAA complaining that piracy is responsible for the decline in music sales... the fact is, if all they have to offer is shitty music, of course no one's going to buy it. I haven't seen a GREAT PC game out in a very, very, VERY long time. Lots of pretty games, lots of copy-cat games without an ounce of originality, but no GREAT games.

If the industry wants my money, they've gotta put something out worth my money. The only game on the horizon that I know for sure will be getting my money is Vampire TM: Bloodlines.
Post Wed Jul 21, 2004 5:14 pm

Garrett

no surprise, there are less games being produced for PC, so of course sales figures decreas...what did they expect???
Post Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:31 pm
Halsy
Village Leader
Village Leader

Nothing good has been out this year so far. The rest of this year will see that change drastically with DOOM 3, HL2, Vampire, etc.
Post Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:33 pm
Sir Markus
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

I think we are heading into some lean times for PC CRPG gaming. We'll get a bunch of console ports, which almost universally suck, but companies like Spiderweb Software and similar companies will still put out their quality games for us to enjoy
Post Thu Jul 22, 2004 4:00 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

quote:
Originally posted by Sir Markus
I think we are heading into some lean times for PC CRPG gaming.

I agree with you, sad but true.
Post Thu Jul 22, 2004 7:42 am
guenthar
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Their are actually a few unique rpgs coming out this fall and winter, like xenus (now called Boiling Point) which is the first modern first person crpg. If they keep Boiling Point like it is so far and not dumb it down it sounds like it could be a very good game.
Post Thu Jul 22, 2004 7:59 am
sealight4
City Guard
City Guard

At what price?

quote:
Originally posted by Halsy
Nothing good has been out this year so far. The rest of this year will see that change drastically with DOOM 3, HL2, Vampire, etc.

For a change I bought Painkiller, an example of what's coming. These new games need alot of power and maybe a brand specefic video card. As you can tell Painkiller ran crappy on my "old" ATI 9800.For whatever reason. I have little hope for anyone spending under $400 for a video card to get what they purchased without compromise. I'm disgusted at even the idea of using one brand over another(there's only 2) just to get your money's worth. I may be in luck with Doom 3, but my Athlon 64 3700 may not be strong enough since I have an antique video card. Taking a declining market and splitting it makes little sense, yes I'm upset I can't run Painkiller, might as well stop buying here and now.
Post Sun Jul 25, 2004 5:30 pm
Nyarlathotep
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Hmmm, I finished Painkiller on my Radeon 8500 without any problems...
Post Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:37 am
Majnun
Village Leader
Village Leader

Ran fine with my geforce 4ti 4200 128mb too. As will Doom 3 and Half-Life 2 I'm sure. Maybe only at 1024x768 (or even 800x600). But that'll do (and is still going to be better than anything looks on an x-box).

And as for "lean times" for PC gaming. Um. No.

It looks to me like PC games are about to have a HUGE upsurge in good games.

In the next 6-9 months you've got (pardon my babble of games, but it's for a purpose):

Doom 3, Half-Life 2, Vampires:Bloodlines, Stalker, Call of Cthulhu, MoH:Pacific Assault, The Fall, Sid Meiers Pirates!, Xenus, Metal Heart, Cops 2170, Goldenland, Hidden & Dangerous add-on, Call of Duty add-on. And those are the ones designed only for the PC (most) or with the console as a secondary platform (or port). I didn't even stoop to mentioning Duke Nukem Forever. Oh, and 5 of those are RPGs, and 4 more will have RPG-like elements.

If you count games that will be coming out for both PC & X-Box, with the PC version getting treated like *gasp* an ACTUAL PC game instead of a port, then you have a boatload more. Meaning they are being developed seperately or will be MUCH better for the PC. KotOR 2, Men of Valor:Vietnam, Dungeon Lords, Nam'67 Shellshock, Ghost Recon 2, Splinter Cell Chaos Theory, SWAT Urban Justice, and more but I'm tired of typing.
Post Tue Jul 27, 2004 12:27 am
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

Re: At what price?

quote:
Originally posted by sealight4
As you can tell Painkiller ran crappy on my "old" ATI 9800.For whatever reason.

You must be mistaken as to what card you have. The 9800 is far from old.

I have a 9700 and it runs Far Cry at full detail smooth as silk. No way Painkiller could be any harder on my system than Far Cry.
Post Tue Jul 27, 2004 7:14 pm
Dhruin

One of my staff bought Painkiller a week ago and was so excited he wanted to look at it before going home. The only free system was a Celeron 2Ghz + Radeon 9200se...pretty darn crappy but it ran surprisingly well. There's a problem if your 9800 can't cope.
Post Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:07 pm