Most underrated and overrated RPGS
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Each to his own but here's two examples why I think DS is poor:

1. I simply can't remember the details but I'm playing along and the diary icon flashes up. I check and I've solved a major quest I've never heard of...which presumably illustrates I was so bored I was paying no attention to the quests (that or it proves I'm not too bright - but let's ignore that possibility ).

2. Kayla asked me about my party. I couldn't remember most of the names and I wasn't even sure what classes I had. When we were playing later during a major battle I found just myself staring at the character icons waiting to push the health potion button. I stopped playing straight away.
Post Thu Jan 15, 2004 11:43 pm
sammy22
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

It may seem outrageous, but I think underworld 2 is the most underated

thinking about the year that game came out the game was simply amazing.

Overrated = morrowind, diablo2,
Post Sun Apr 25, 2004 6:46 pm
Loveshot
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Underrated : Gothic 1 and 2. I enjoyed them very much and still play them alot.

Overrated : NWN. Tried many times to play this game and its expansion,. I just lost interest.
Post Thu May 27, 2004 12:35 pm
Conan The Librarian
City Guard
City Guard

Overated, Underated wombles we are.

Overrated: Neverwinter nights I tried to like this game. Unfortunately you can't mix diablo with D&D. Example hacking a barrel and finding a magic wand in a street while the city guard doesn't blink an eyelid. Likewise having more bugs than the Amazon basin and not rectifying them even with expansions but creating more.

Underrated Eye of the Beholder and Bards Tale, game designers presently should take a peek to understand the marriage between combat and puzzles. There are to many combat driven games with puzzles and engaging storylines as a afterthought. I like the Diablo series except for the Diablo II expansion however for a single player you feel like your in a rut sometimes. Kill endless minions then die and repeat with the bosses. This repeativeness gets very boring.
Post Fri May 28, 2004 1:10 pm
Everclearules20
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Overrated: Gothic 2, I loved the game, truly, but it just wasn't as good as many people had claimed. Another reason is that I like being able to customize games, and Gothic 2 just didn't offer enough for me.

Underrated: Dungeon Siege. There's not much you can say to convince me otherwise since it allows so much customization (making mods). I used to make my own classes and spells and what-have-you which was too much fun for me. There's also the fact I got into a magazine with an amazingly simple but creative mod. I never expected that to happen, and appreciate Dungeon Siege for giving me the experience.
Post Sat Jun 12, 2004 11:47 pm
TheWarlord
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Hmmz nice question I got to say...

I think the most underrated Adventure/RPG surely is Hexplore - Gods book of Garkham.. It had great storyline heck of an gameplay and very very huge area to search. Nearly none knows it. One of the best games I have played.

and well Overrated... Anvil of Dawn that was huge flop I would say well piece of art in these days to me but at the time or well Neverwinter Nights really sucks and well can't say it would be good even in any new forms or shapes..
Post Wed Jun 23, 2004 6:30 am
Incindium
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

I would say one of the more underated RPG's was the orginal Lands of Lore. I really loved that game when it came out and it's one of a select few rpgs that I've played through completion. I really love the rpg's but I have ADD when it comes to completing them in full. Another underated RPG was Dragon Wars(written by the Bard's Tale team) which was one of the first RPG's I played and I also played it to completion.

As far as overrated I would say any of the Bioware stuff(Balder's Gate series, Neverwinter Nights). I usally enjoy them at the start but then just get tired of playing them really quickly and never pick them back up.
Post Wed Jun 23, 2004 8:14 pm
TheWarlord
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by Incindium
I would say one of the more underated RPG's was the orginal Lands of Lore. I really loved that game when it came out and it's one of a select few rpgs that I've played through completion. I really love the rpg's but I have ADD when it comes to completing them in full. Another underated RPG was Dragon Wars(written by the Bard's Tale team) which was one of the first RPG's I played and I also played it to completion.

As far as overrated I would say any of the Bioware stuff(Balder's Gate series, Neverwinter Nights). I usally enjoy them at the start but then just get tired of playing them really quickly and never pick them back up.

I have got to comment on this one... Lands of Lore underated? Huh that sold like cheese... and you are mixing Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter nights as together overrated (Which I would say ain't even in same genre ), Hell Baldur's gate was biggest thing to RPG genre since Strategy Simulation Inc. AD&D Gamesets ?
Post Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:12 am
Incindium
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

I have no clue as to how well Lands of Lore sold. However I rarely hear anyone mentioning it when discussing the classic rpgs which is why I think it is underated.

You just saying the Baldur's Gate is the biggest thing to the RPG genre just validates my viewpoint. They are decent games and alot of people bought and enjoyed them. I however got tired of them quickly and have an aversion to those types of games now.

quote:

I have got to comment on this one... Lands of Lore underated? Huh that sold like cheese... and you are mixing Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter nights as together overrated (Which I would say ain't even in same genre ), Hell Baldur's gate was biggest thing to RPG genre since Strategy Simulation Inc. AD&D Gamesets ?
Post Thu Jun 24, 2004 4:51 pm
Sir Markus
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

Underrated:

Faery Tale Adventure 2. I thought this game was outstanding. It's one of those games that's a bitch to figure out and has numerous assorted bugs, but about 5-10 hours into it, you suddenly go 'ah-ha now I get it' and it's just a great game all the way to the end. Home of the Underdogs has this one.

http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?gameid=2758

Might and Magic 7. Reviewers and critics trashed MM6 for its graphics and when they put out 7 with the exact same engine, nobody paid attention. However this was arguably the best MM game ever.

Icewind Dale: I had a blast with this game. With all the hype generated from Baldur's Gate lot's of people missed this one. Pick this up in the bargain bin; no hardcore CRPG-er should miss this title.
Post Thu Jun 24, 2004 5:24 pm
Annelid
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Re: Overated, Underated wombles we are.

quote:
Originally posted by Conan The Librarian
Overrated: Neverwinter nights I tried to like this game. Unfortunately you can't mix diablo with D&D. Example hacking a barrel and finding a magic wand in a street while the city guard doesn't blink an eyelid. Likewise having more bugs than the Amazon basin and not rectifying them even with expansions but creating more.

Underrated Eye of the Beholder and Bards Tale, game designers presently should take a peek to understand the marriage between combat and puzzles. There are to many combat driven games with puzzles and engaging storylines as a afterthought. I like the Diablo series except for the Diablo II expansion however for a single player you feel like your in a rut sometimes. Kill endless minions then die and repeat with the bosses. This repeativeness gets very boring.

Eye of the Beholder and Bard's Tale weren't underrated. They got high praise all around when they were released.
Post Sat Jul 24, 2004 7:10 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Most overrated: all AD&D CRPGs with the exception of Hillsfar and PS:T
Most underrated: the System Shock and Lands of Lore series and nowadays Arx
Post Sat Jul 24, 2004 12:58 pm
txa1265
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

quote:
Originally posted by piln
Overrated: Diablo ... It's not an RPG, it's Gauntlet.

Hehe That makes me laugh, because my wife bought me Diablo for Christmas right when it came out ... by January I had sworn off of 'RPG's ... that was my first-and-last, or so I thought. Back to my first gaming love ... FPS. Until mid 2003, while I was eagerly anticipating KotOR (I *am* a Star Wars fan since seeing the original ~12 times in 1977 ), I got NWN when it came out for the Mac in August. Played the OC, SoU and HotU ... led to getting the BG-series, IWD series, Fallout series, Gothic I and II, Arx Fatalis, Morrowind GOTY, ToEE, Sacred, and just got PS:T.

So, my thoughts:

Over-Rated:
- Dungeon Siege - got Mac version for ~$5 ... eventually got bored. Reminds me of Halle Berry in Catwoman - sure she's pretty, sure she's scantily clad. But that isn't enough to make a good movie.
- Diablo-as-RPG - I can see why some would enjoy the hak-n-slash. I don't. Tried again with Sacred, got pretty far ... gave up out of boredom.

Under-Rated:
- Definitely Gothic II (just started with Gothic I) in the US. Wonderful game.
- Arx Fatalis with reservations - I really like the game, but it is one of very few where I actually consulted a walkthrough. Worse yet, I got stuck (as a Mage) seemingly forever (>100-reloads) in the 'jump room'.

Someone mentioned the last art of gathering herbs, making food, repairing items. Wonderful things. What about the ability to fish!?? Another great thing. While I truly love NWN and KotOR, it isn't all about lightsabers and fireballs. I like the variety that many of these different games bring. Starting with those two (NWN and KotOR), adapting to true party management like BG2 took me some doing, but it is worth it.

As I mention, I just got PS:T (going for high $$ still on eBay), and look forward to playing.

Mike

Check out my blog.
Post Mon Jul 26, 2004 7:06 pm
CrushDepth
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

The most overrated: Planescape Torment,NWN and from readng this site id say gothic 1 and 2 also.

The most underrated: dno, propably Ultima Underworld
Post Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:09 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5