Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Why Gothic is Better than Morrowind
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread

In my opinion, Gothic is still the High Fidelity reference crpg. Just compare Gothic npc's to Morrowind statuettes.

Of course Morrowind is massive and big game, but movement and fighting in Morrowind is clumsy and Morrowind has lots of bugs.

Both games are very good, but Gothic is still the leader of the genre.
Post Mon May 20, 2002 9:35 am

Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Quote "All in all the most fun I've had in Morrowind since I started was standing in the smuggler's cave and casting Fireball at the water over and over to raise my rating in Destruction magic."

Perhaps this demonstrates why you don't enjoy MW; MW is best experienced discovering the open world of Vvardenfell. Casting fireballs to raise your rating is about stats, not role-playing.

For those that think there's no plot, start following the story-thread (Casius/Blades).

BTW, Gothic is an excellent game but the epic scope of MW keeps me in awe. I'm off to raid some Dwemer ruins...
Post Mon May 20, 2002 10:10 am
Krogon

Gothic shouldn't be compared to Morrowind

It really has no right to be compared to Morrowind. Think of it this way, Gothic is like a funny little trailer to a great movie. Morrowind is that great movie. I enjoyed Gothic, but the whole time I knew it would just be a small taste of what Morrowind would be. How many races, classes did you get to choose from in Gothic? How many quests were there in Gothic? Anyone who has played both games knows that Morrowind is a virtual world, whereas Gothic is a nice little adventure/rpg with good graphics. Morrowind is going to be the standard by which all other rpg's will be compared. If your going to compare Gothic to any game then compare it to Ultima 9.
Does this mean that Morrowind is flawless? Of course not, but it defnitely is in a class of its own. There is no game out there, nor will there probably be for quite along time, that has the right to be compared to Morrowind. However, I hope there will be many rpg's in the future that will excel way beyond Morrowind. That is one of the benefits of a trend setting game like Morrowind, it will motivate other developers to attempt to raise the bar even higher:)
Post Mon May 20, 2002 7:49 pm

Size isn't everything. I think someone said it well earlier, when they said Gothic has quality MW has quantity. Not compare them? That's what this thread is all about. Does MW improve on any aspect of Gothic besides being big? Apparently not in combat, immersion, voice acting, modeling, etc... I guess I see your point they really shouldn't be compared. There is no comparison.
Post Mon May 20, 2002 8:04 pm

Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

The Voice acting that was in Morrowind was far better quality than Gothic. Apart from a few quality actors, most of Gothic's voiceovers were appaling. Especialy the players character.

Edit: I am talking about the English version. I cant speak for any other language version.
Post Mon May 20, 2002 8:11 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

German Gothic voice acting was very good. I don't know about the English version though. I just hope the German Morrowind version will be good since translated versions of games rarely are good.
Post Mon May 20, 2002 8:19 pm
Krogon

Morrowind...It doesn't get any better than this.

I didn't directly say anything about the size of Morrowind. By referring it to a great movie I was implying not that it had a bigger map but it had so much more game content and choices, with emphasis on choices. I briefly mentioned an example of races and classes you can choose in Morrowind. Again anyone who has played both games knows how much more then is to do in Morrowind, how much better the graphics are, how open ended the game is. Really anyone could go on and on giving details that Morrowind has, hence quality and quantity that Gothic doesn't. Gothic's voice acting became real old after hearing the same lines over and over again even throughout the early part of the game. Were there any single aspects of Gothic'squality that was better than Morrowind? Perhaps, but the overall quality of Morrowind far surpasses Gothic. Some of the points we are all making are just a matter of opinion but most reviews I have read, see in Morrowind a definite trend setter. Even though Gamespot only gave Morrowind a 8.7 score, check for yourself what they gave Gothic. Again will future developers follow the example of Morrowind and even advance passed it? I sure hope so.
Post Mon May 20, 2002 8:30 pm

JemyM
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Uhm, Morrowind and Gothic ends up next to eachother on my list. Both have the same number of plusses and minuses.
I think I do not want to argue about wich one is better than the other, instead I say outloud that I want more games like this... More More More!!!

Best Regards
JemyM
Post Tue May 21, 2002 6:27 am
Rainstorm
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

quote:
Originally posted by Sethoris
For the record the best RPG ever made is FALLOUT 2

Won't argue with that,Fallout's the only reason I ever started playing RPG's since I'm not and never was a fan of the (imho) RPG/tactics combo games like BG...

quote:
Originally posted by Krogon
Anyone who has played both games knows that Morrowind is a virtual world, whereas Gothic is a nice little adventure/rpg with good graphics.

I've never personally called Gothic an RPG,I've always seen it as an action adventure with RPG elements...
But...I can't say I see the MW world as a virtual world in comparison to Gothics...
In Gothic you see all those things already mentioned (like people going to work) but also wolves attack molerats and such which makes it more alive in my eyes than the ever friendly MW universe where all creatures only attack the char...

quote:
Originally posted by Krogon
There is no game out there, nor will there probably be for quite along time, that has the right to be compared to Morrowind.

I agree that Gothic shouldn't really be compared to MW...but I don't praise MW...
Gothic's (and I don't like linear games) simply one of the best games I've played and it's up in my top five with QW threewave CTF,Unreal,Fallout and Fallout2...
MW is what I'm playing now since I'm bored with all my other games...as soon as Arx fatalis is released it'll most likely take MW's place on my HDD...

I simply think MW is too slow and repetitive in its layout...and hardly being able to jump over a fence and so on.
My biggest gripe with MW is how some quests (quite a lot of them) are described as "look in the mountains,they're rumoured to be there"..."I think the witch's NW,but I'm not sure since I was under a spell"...
With a gameworld the size of Vvardenfall something a bit better than that wouldn't hurt...
But to all his own,I won't say MW sucks...but I won't say I'm a huge fan of it...
Post Tue May 21, 2002 1:28 pm
ixos
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

MW

I've been playing with it for ages now and I can honestly say, it's only going to appeal to people who have an intrinsic need to see DX8.1 in action.

Morrowind is an overrated, completely miscalculated rpg.

And what has everyone said for it? "I can create MY character." I mean, what the [****] does that mean.

--ixos

You needn't and shouldn't use such terms. -sauron38
Post Wed May 22, 2002 12:50 pm

I really don't understand why the Gothic crowd is so bent on saying that Gothic is better than Morrowind. Do you all look at Morrowind as some kind of threat that demeans your taste in crpgs? That's the only explaination I can think of, anyway. Most major internet publications have given Morrowind stellar reviews, and that says something. I suppose it could also be said that that those reviewers were just a bunch of fanboys who were already in Bethesda's back pocket *yawn*.

I just think this is all rather pointless. Some people need to have their paths firmly set before them in order to enjoy a crpg and I think that's what Gothic gives those types of roleplayers. It's also why referring to Gothic as an action/adventure with rpg elements isn't too far from the mark. Others enjoy freedom and exploration and thus, the open endedness of Morrowind is perfect for them.

I enjoyed playing Gothic, although it was a very fragile game. You had be sure you didn't enter a certain area prematurely lest a plot be destroyed, you couldn't kill an NPC lest a plot be destroyed, etc. People would be hammering nails into the sides of buildings for days on end in the same spot. The conversations between NPCs were just fluff, didn't really have anything of value to say. I do agree that seeing wolves hunt other animals was a great touch though. I've been playing Morrowind since it was released and I've been having a much more satisfying roleplay experience than I did with Gothic. Does that mean that Morrowind is better, IMO? No, not at all. It just means that Morrowind is the kind of crpg that I like best.

Anyway, done ramblin'.
Post Wed May 22, 2002 4:34 pm

Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

The debate about X is better than Y will never go away. Its human nature. People just get into this group of similar thinking people and then they get the "Tribe effect" where they feel the need to prove their tribe is best.

It runs all the way through everything we do, from computer games to religeon, and I doubt it will ever go away.
Post Wed May 22, 2002 4:40 pm
JemyM
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Yep. Lets name this a "Tribal Topic", so we have a word for it.

Best Regards
JemyM
Post Wed May 22, 2002 8:02 pm
JemyM
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Rainstorm
---------
I was always thrilled with how open Fallout was, that you could do as you damn well pleased, walk in any direction, and whatever you did, the game shaped according to who you where, and what you had done. I even declared it the first and real true roleplaying game made for a computer.

Gothic had the same freedom. An adventure game for me is a 'locked' interactive movie like Space Quest/Monkey Island. Gothic have far to many options and allows you to do almost anything your mind come up with, therefore it ended up next to Fallout on my top 5 rpg list.

After a couple of weeks when the "ooh" and "aaah" have been repeated numerous times, I do agree. Morrowind is very repetitive. It is only a beautiful map, and a major load of text-snippets you can read if you click the right option in menues. After killing the fivehundreth bird you wonder if there shouldnt be more flying things on this continent and start to wonder if you shall "mod" them away (remove them from the game becouse they are boring).

The only thing that would bring me back to Morrowind would be to explore more of he map, not to find anything interesting, just to see the scenery. The world is beautiful, but its frozen and static, and the NPCs are inpersonal and rarely have something to say.

Best Regards
JemyM
Post Thu May 23, 2002 6:21 am
Shadeling
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I loved the Fallout games, they were so immersive and satisfying to play. Having played Gothic, I can say that I never experienced that same satisfying feeling that I did with the Fallout games. I certainly didn't feel like I had nearly as much freedom as I did in Fallout.

I've played many a adventure game and they have progressed very nicely since the days of the interactive movie age and most of those games are linear, hence the comparison to Gothic which is a very linear game.

I'm finding Morrowind to be very satisfying. I have a high level character and I have yet to experience the so called repetitiveness that I keep hearing about. I've never experienced frustration in being given vague directions where something may be for a quest because they've never been vague for me. Not once. Just goes to show that Morrowind is what you make of it. Literally.

"Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night." - Edgar Allen Poe
Post Thu May 23, 2002 7:22 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next