tips on monk char
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Frenzy
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

tips on monk char

Anyone of you have good tips on how to play a monk character (unarmored, hand2hand)?
Post Sat Jan 10, 2004 6:38 pm
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

Are you intending to use magic as well? You're going to really miss some ranged weaponry unless you do.

If you're going unarmoured you'll miss out on the other benefit of wearing armour - the ability to add useful enchantments. Get yourself a set of exquisite clothes and start collecting the higher-capacity amulets and rings to compensate.

On this front I'd recommend considering the use of staves as well - some of them can contain a good number of enchantment points, and you can take advantage of cast on strike effects. Also, it's pretty tricky to take on crowds with hand to hand.

As you'll be less of a warrior than usual, you'll need to carefully consider fast ways of getting out of trouble. Definitely get yourself Mark/Recall and some Interventions, and although I tend to dissuade people from doing it, having Athletics and Acrobatics as major skills might be worthwhile.

You won't be able to rely on having a large reserve of hit points, as you'll rarely improve Endurance-controlled skills. I'd probably take the sign of The Lady to get the +25 bonus to Endurance - this will bolster your hits by another 2hp/level at first. Taking Endurance as a primary attribute would give you an additional 1hp/level, but you won't be able to fully appreciate the other benefits of it. Taking Luck would give you a +10 bonus, which should be useful in the long-term.

Theme-wise, Alchemy is a good match for a monk-type character, but it's very easy to abuse. I'd be tempted to make it a misc skill even if I were intending to make heavy use of it. Naturally you'll need to join either the Temple or the Imperial Cult. Bretons have a number of haircuts that will suit a monk very well!
Post Sun Jan 11, 2004 2:20 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

It will be very difficult. For example hand to hand is not really "normal" way, how to fight in MW. If you want very difficult and very tedious experience, you can try it.
Otherwise you can try one of mods making from "monk style" acceptable way.
Post Mon Jan 12, 2004 6:31 am
~NOBODY~
The One And Only
The One And Only

Just a remark, don't forget "fists of fire" plugin, which enables you to fight with magical hands.
Post Tue Jan 13, 2004 10:24 am
Lord Chambers
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Playing a monk was only difficult or tedious for me right at the start.

The first mud crab you fight you might die to. But, since it takes 999999 hits to kill it, and since you are constantly being hit while fighting, your unarmored and hand-to-hand skills will raise very fast. The most challenging part of being a monk is trying to raise skills that don't use speed as a controlling attribute so you don't waste all your level ups with just a 5x to speed and 1x in two other stats.

I start the game by spending a days fighting crabs and fish north west of Sedya Neen. After that point I've raised about 10 levels (IIRC) and am sick and tired of clicking my mouse. Then I continue on my quest, running from the strong monsters, and pounding everything else. As unmonkly it is to kill every animal you can, it's vital if you ever want to kill anything, Non-violence is not the way to go.

Once hand-to-hand is about 70 (it'll happen sooner than you expect) you'll hit almost every time you attack, and then combat actually isn't so hard. You'll even be able to take on groups, as long as you're wise enough to incapacitate them one by one, making sure to keep incapacitating them as they rise back up.

Once combat isn't such a hindrance you can enjoy roleplaying as a monk, selling plants and pearls to pay for your pilgrimages, spastically jumping while you claw attack monsters in the wild (since you're no-doubt a Kajiit), and wearing the clothes you start the game with, since any monk would know not to be materialistic and wear exquisite clothes. For that matter, he probably ought not be enchanting things, unless you are just making a mage with crappy combat skills that you are calling a monk.
Post Fri Jan 16, 2004 9:38 am