View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Dungeons and Dragons General

Author Thread
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

ToEE: several simple question

Yesterday I started this game.
I got it because I was tired with many "so called" RPGs, I played in several last months. I wanted real RPG. I still believe I will enjoy this one, however I have many problems.
I probably should read AD&D rules before I will post these questions, but I will rather ask.
My problem: I talked nearly with everyone in town I started at. So I said to my self - time for first real battle. So I traveled to that "old moat hause" (spelling?),
I saved my game and then went along the road. First battle began and my party was dead. I realoaded and tried again without success. So i tried another area, again without success.
So how should I begin? What should my party look like (I am not real AD&D hardcore-one, so I probably need strong party)? Are there any "hidden" quests I should begin with to level up my party a little bit? What should be my level to be able to conquer that "moat house"?
Post Fri Jan 30, 2004 6:53 am
Korplem
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

There are several ways to get strong enough to beat the moat house. A nice way is to make sure youve done all sort of quests in the town. Such as marrying that ugly woman in the north east of town. You get exp for that and if you kill her you get even more exp (Of course, I played as chaotic neutral). Or you can travel between the moat house and the town over and over and over again trying to get encounters.

I'm not sure if this is a possibility for you but
Spoiler:

I let the halfling thief at the Inn join my party then killed him and found a ring of invisibility on him. Then went up to the place in the very far north west part of the world map. I forget the name but there is a giant there guarding some loot. use the ring to swipe it out from under his nose, it should help.

-The Prince of Nothing
Post Fri Jan 30, 2004 7:07 am
Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

A solid party would be a fighter, cleric, sorcerer, wizard-thief, and another member of any type you like (I usually go barbarian but a paladin, ranger, monk, bard, sorcerer, fighter, or wizard would do depending on your taste). Roll and re-roll until you get the stats you want if you'd like. Remember to at least reference the manual (sorcerers use charasma to cast spells).

You can get to lvl 2 just doing quests in town. A good battle to wet your teeth on is the frogs at the moat house or the spiders in the grove given to you by the guy in the nw part of town s of the river. Combat is pretty easy once you get the hang of it. You might want to read up on feats and combat options. I usually don't go the fancy feat road, I just plus-up my weapons proficencies and get cleave. I never use the combat options, I just click on an eney and attack. You will have to use "coup de grace" or whatever its called to kill trolls.

I really recommend that you restart and play through your first time in Ironman after you get the hang of combat. It really adds a lot to the game I think.
Post Fri Jan 30, 2004 7:18 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Just shows how differently people play - I hardly ever just used a default attack. I used Charge and Ready vs Approach *all* the time including in combination with other things. For example, Charge gives you +2 to hit and allows you to cover more ground than normal while Power Attack (first level) is -2, so a Charge with Power Attack lets you rush in and take a nice swipe first without attack penalty.

Don't forget ranged weapon characters absolutely *must* have Precise Shot to be useful. And don't bother hiring too many NPCs - Spugnoir was the only NPC I used.
Post Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:03 am
Korplem
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

I agree with Roqua, it adds a lot to the game to play in ironman mode. It can be aggravating when you make a terrible mistake and have to start over but it also gives you a chance to make a unique story for your party. For example:
Spoiler:

There is a quest in the pirate village's tavern to assassinate the owner. I took the job but told the owner what was going on. Everybody started to fight and I accidentily attacked the owner!! So both groups were hostile to me and I had no choice but to keep playing like that since i didnt want to start all over again. There were several other occasions like that and I have to say that it really added a flare to the game that I liked

-The Prince of Nothing
Post Sat Jan 31, 2004 1:09 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Moving to D&D forum...
Post Sat Jan 31, 2004 1:37 am
Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

I did use ready vs. approach also, but thats about it. I alos only took spugnoir.
Post Sat Jan 31, 2004 2:22 am
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

quote:
Originally posted by Korplem
There are several ways to get strong enough to beat the moat house. A nice way is to make sure youve done all sort of quests in the town. Such as marrying that ugly woman in the north east of town. You get exp for that and if you kill her you get even more exp (Of course, I played as chaotic neutral). Or you can travel between the moat house and the town over and over and over again trying to get encounters.

I'm not sure if this is a possibility for you but
Spoiler:

I let the halfling thief at the Inn join my party then killed him and found a ring of invisibility on him. Then went up to the place in the very far north west part of the world map. I forget the name but there is a giant there guarding some loot. use the ring to swipe it out from under his nose, it should help.

Okay I have to ask ... you refer to a large monster in your spoiler ... how do I get that location placed on my map? I would like to see what the encounter is like, and I managed to miss it.
Post Sat Jan 31, 2004 5:22 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

I meant to play through in Ironman mode but it never happened... hmm. Might just do that this afternoon and see how the game plays out.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Sat Jan 31, 2004 7:12 pm
Korplem
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Lintra: It was in the Emridy Meadows. I'm fairly certain that it's on everybodys map at the start of the game.

-The Prince of Nothing
Post Sat Jan 31, 2004 7:25 pm
Lord_Brownie
High Emperor
High Emperor

Here are some tips for ToEE.

1. Get some better gear in Homelet as soon as you get there. A couple of shields and better weapons. I recall my thief started with a dagger, so I upgraded that, and I got my war classes a shield. I didnt worry about getting 2-handed weapons at this point because I wanted to be able to get decent upgrades to all of my PCs starting out. Because what upgrades you want will depend on your party, you may want some different things than I got.

2. As mentioned already, do quests in town. There is a nice thief item you can get form one quest in town that will help your hide skill alot. However, if like me you long to go fight everytime you start a game, the frogs and rats will get you going.

3. Use flanking and sneak attacks to get some damage done. Flanking in 3.0 gives +2 to hit, although ToEE uses 3.5 rules there is still a flanking bonus. Some monsters I had trouble defeating (The first few trolls I ran into) without flanking. My characters where not hitting enough.

Sneak attack helps get some damage done, and in ToEE all you need to sneak attack is to be a thief that is fighting a monster that is already engaged with in close combat with a second opponent, or the monster must be flat-footed (very begining of combat, before it has had a chance to take an action).

While I believe flanking works on all monsters, sneak attacks do not work against undead, constructs, and a few other types of monsters.

There are many party combos that will do fine in ToEE. My first party that I played contained: Paladin, Barbarian, Thief, Druid (Call Lighting is great), Wizard. Other than those I encountered in the temple, I didnt bother with NPCs the first time through.
LB
Post Sun Feb 01, 2004 1:10 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

A primary combatant, a secondary combatant, a healer, a skill user, and two arcane users is a very solid party build.

Primary combatants: Fighter, Paladin, Barbarian
Secondary Combatant: Ranger, Monk, Cleric
Healer: Cleric, Druid
Skill User: Bard, Rogue
Arcane Users: Wizard, Sorcerer

I'd recommend a Sorcerer for the arcane member of your party, and take Spugenoir as a 6th member to cover the 'wizard' angle. He's the ONLY NPC in the game worth getting, as taking him does not sabotage your efforts to win (he only wants arcane scrolls, not all-important money and magic items).

At low levels where hit points are super critical consider investing in shields for everyone. A point or two of AC goes a LONG way at low level. After level 3 or so you can upgrade to two handed weapons for the extra damage if you have a character with an 18+ strength (the only people who see a benefit to using a two handed weapon... especially with the super-power attack bug still around.).

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Sun Feb 01, 2004 5:29 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

@Val
Shame on me. My first moved topic .

@All others
Thanks for tips. Possible spoiler ahead.
I was (and am) not really good in AD&D rules. So first time I tried the game, I choosed predefined character (I wanted to be lawful good, so there was not many characters to pick).
It was probably weak party. I tried another party. This time I read trough manual, mainly those parts about classes, races ect.
I made several rerolls for each character and created this party:
- Paladin (Human)
- Fighter (Dwarf)
- Cleric (Half-elf)
- Ranger (Elf)
- Wizard (Elf)
And it was immediately much easier. Now I am level 3. But I doubt, I am able to clear first floor of Moat house (so many zombies at one time, I need at least one fireball, but I do not have it).
I did not hired NPC, I simple do not like to hire NPCs in any RPG.
We will see, what else I can do (any tips for first floor of Moat house with those hordes of zombies and green slimes?).
Post Mon Feb 02, 2004 6:35 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

quote:
Originally posted by EverythingXen
I meant to play through in Ironman mode but it never happened... hmm. Might just do that this afternoon and see how the game plays out.

Well, I read about Iroman mode in manuel, and I really doubt someone can do it.
It sounds extremly difficult to play without saving, with first roll characters... Well possibly for someone skilled in AD&D. Try it and tell us if you were able to...
Post Mon Feb 02, 2004 6:38 am
Korplem
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

It is tough, but as for getting the right stats thats not too hard. You dont have the option to press 'reroll' but you can keep starting over... I'm fairly certain I could have beaten it in ironman mode but I stopped playing for some reason and havnt gone back.

-The Prince of Nothing
Post Mon Feb 02, 2004 8:01 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next