Usergroups
May have found the solution to everyone's mw problems
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Hawthorne
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

I do get indoor frame rates as high as 130 fps. No all the time but I always get high rates inside.

Unfortunately it drops off to about 30 once I go outside.

I have a Dell 8200, P4 1.8, 512 Meg DDR ram, and a Geforce 3Ti 200 video card running Windows XP.

I am using the Safe disk patch and I have my swap file turned off.
I also have a line in my system.ini file that says...

ConservativeSwapFileUsage=1

Strangely this seems to help even with the swap file turned off.

I am also using the pixelwater tweak but not the other Morrowind.ini tweak because I didn’t like the way the graphics looked.

All in all the game runs smothly with only a rare drop out to the desktop.

Mike
Post Thu May 16, 2002 4:12 am
Shifter
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

I upped my refresh rate and it made no difference...the only difference was the higher I set the Refresh rate the slower the mouse moved in the menus..course..the game runs fine for me..just wanted to try it so I could post results..
Post Thu May 16, 2002 4:27 am
SlitherSly
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I have a hard time believing Hawthorne's claim of 130 fps inside and an "UNFORTUNATE" drop to 30 outside. Please let your misfortune be my wonderous gift from the heavens. Anyways, your computer specs don't seem to be matching up with your claims. If you know of some other type of tweak that allows such wonderful smoothness, please share with the community.
Post Thu May 16, 2002 4:40 am
Nietchse
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Just a heads up to everyone make sure you check to see what refresh rate your monitor can handle at each resolution.If you set your monitor to a refresh rate it can not handle at a particular resolution you can ruin your monitor very easily.
Post Thu May 16, 2002 9:40 am
Hawthorne
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

I guess you are right, I'm sure that when I first tried the frame rate indicator it showed frame rates over 100 inside but it doesn’t do that now. Maybe I imagined the 1.

I reactivated the frame rate counter and I'm only showing about 40 Fps inside now.
Anyone know if the amount of stuff you are wearing effects the frame rate?

I notice that my outside frame rates have dropped off from what I was getting to begin with. Then I was getting as high as 35 now it seems to be down in the 20s.

I'm going to replace my original ini file and then add the safe disk patch and see what happens.

Mike
Post Fri May 17, 2002 4:19 am
SlitherSly
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Please post your results Hawthorne, I'd like to see if the patch and ini file make a difference . . . also keep in mind that your frames per second are heavely dependent on where you're at.
Post Fri May 17, 2002 6:03 am
qwert_44643
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

This didnt fix my framerate problem at all it still went slow and i still got stutters,i think its a memory leak and a horrible one.
qwert
Post Fri May 17, 2002 8:18 pm
Lordr31z
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Well i am glad this helped at least some gamers. I have windows xp pro so maybe it all depends on the comp.. os.. and monitor. Also it depends on your resolution. Just keep the refresh rate maxed at whatever resolution you are at. I tested every resolution and as long as i max it even if its only 60 at 1600x its all good. But ya MW does seem to have a memory leak. For the most part this game runs great now. Also i thorough scanned and defragged before i installed the game or any game. Makes a big difference also.
Post Fri May 17, 2002 10:57 pm
qwert_44643
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I was wrong i put it back to default and it was horrible but put is up to 85 my max and it DID run better.
qwert
Post Sat May 18, 2002 12:17 am
Hawthorne
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

The patch really did make a difference, as did the change in my system.ini file.

I realised that the only place I saw frame rates over 100 was in the menu screens. Not in the game.

My performance has come back a little around 30 outdoors and in the 40s in.

Mike
Post Sun May 19, 2002 5:39 am
starfoxlet's clarify

Ok, how to you activate the fps "counter"
I want to see how fast Morrowind is on my puter, how do I do it?

What is that safe disk patch you mention

And what is that ini line you also mention ?

I'm new to morrowind, have a radeon 8500 and I want to optimize my configuration

thank you!
Post Sun May 19, 2002 8:41 pm

HydroSqueegee
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

in the morrowin.ini, look for a string that says show fps, change the 0 to 1
get the 6071's from ati's site for the vidcard [i had a huge boost doing this upgrading from the 6058's]

their is an exe file floating around that does away with the safedisk wrapper that is constantly being checked while you play, effectivly improving performance a little bit.

as for the swap file in the system.ini, i have never tried this, but perhaps i will as soon as i slap another 256 dimm into the machine for a total of 768.

also i have no clue what the water optimization is.

defrag is a must, and clean your system of worthless programs and temporary files of all kinds.

Current system:
Epox 8KHA+
XP1700+
Radeon 8500 64MB
WD 40gig 7200 RPM
512MB crucial PC2100

FPS:
town: 20-30
outside: 30-45
inside: 50-120

oddly enough i lost about 10 FPS in all areas when i switched out my ASUS A7V266-E with the epox. But i ddint reformat, so there may be some issues with drivers and components.
Post Sun May 19, 2002 9:18 pm
Volitare

Maybe you guys should establish some sort of FPS TESTiNG LOCATION. (I suggest Balmora)

Pick an area that is especially taxing and create a route you have to walk through (Down the Mainstreet over the bridge... blah, blah, blah) and get your framerates from set 'checkpoints' (Second Bridge Facing South) along the way.

If you are going to be testing tweaks and posting results you need more controls to ensure that everyone is testing with the same basic parameters.

The lack of controls probably explains why there are some strange discrepancies with Identical/Near Identical Rigs pulling drastically different framerates.
Post Sun May 19, 2002 10:55 pm

Delmonte
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Could someone post their tweaked ini file with what is reconned to be the best settings for a machine running GForce4 Ti graphics card. I am seeing adequate frame rates but improvements would still be welcome.
Post Mon May 20, 2002 9:43 pm
REDF0X

I have done extensive tweaks to my ini file to get MW to run at all on my P4 TNT (not TNT2)
Here's what I can remember of what worked : (long)

(this is from memory, I don't have access to my ini at this location, if people express interest, I will bring it back tomorrow and post more precisely)

1) If you are having frame rate problems cut back on the resolution, I'm running at 800x600 now and find that the menus are a bit crowded but I can handle the aliasing at that res.

2) I heard that if you limit your frames max you get better rates, but I didn't notice much difference except for that now the title menu now only runs at 20 fps max (I limited it to 20 because I was only getting 10 or so (exterior) at the time and figured I'd not see much more than 20 ever)

3) Dont thread loads makes it so that you load new areas all at once instead of a little at a time which can cause stuttering, I have this on (set to 1) because I was having to load them all at once anyway for some reason (I got prolonged lockups at the same places I would have loaded) so now I have a nifty little bar to show me how far done it is, and it dosen't feel as much like I've locked up.

think think think...

4) interior/exterior cell cache (sp?) I have both of these set to 10, down from the 32 exterior had, this increased my performance a noticeable amount just by itsself, however I have been having a problem with strobing textures since then (the textures change rapidly in little blocks and cause my fps to drop to <5 fps) I don't know if this was the cause, I'll change it back later and see if it is the problem.

5) I'm using constant (vertex) lighting instead of the linear or quadradic that the ini also contains (set use constant to 1 and the other two to 0). You lose most of that eerie feel in the dungeons and such because the place looks like its lit by a flood lamp, but at least I don't have to worry about things jumping out of dark corners anymore, because there aren't any. And my computer dosen't have to calculate all of the falloffs

6) I turned the water animations completly off (0 fps) theres two places for this that are pretty close together, under water and surface pixels or something like that. I still have some slowdown near bodies of water but its much more managable

7) turned the ripples off from myself and rain (cant remember where these are at all except for that its farther down than where you change the water surface animations.

didn't turn down the raindrops because it didn't seem to do much difference, after I turned off the rain ripples

umm... I think thats it. I'm looking for the patch that removes scan disk and I'll post if it helps.

I'd be interested if any one has found how to lower the texture detail.
Maybe its possible to put the mip mapped textures over everything instead of only distant objects? Or maybe I can turn the textures off and view the game in shaded mode
I'd also be interested to know more about the cloud/weather stuff, though I'll probably start tweaking it soon who knows maybe I'll get my fps up to 30

Oh and as far as the frame rate issue here, the reason you can notice the difference between 60 and 30 fps on FPSs is because the frame rate drops during new animations or when you turn, because your CPU is calculating the new stuff that has to be put on the screen. Therefore if you were at 30 fps max your framerate might drop to below 10, and if you were at 60 it might only drop to 40...
Post Tue May 21, 2002 7:46 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next