Wizardry 8 (PC, Single-Player RPG)
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Games Comments

Author Thread
Desdicado
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Wizardry 8

I Tried so hard to like this game as I'd enjoyed the demo.
Character development is good, you have lots of control. Graphics are pretty good.
What I didn't like was the overland areas hemmed you in with unclimable mountains so really you were always stuck in a very narrow channel.
My main gripe is the combat system which is the worst of any game I've ever played, 15 minutes fighting a group of weeds is just ridiculous, each enemy gets its own movement and attack phase, so fighting 15 or so is just tedious.
So much so that a program was written to speed it up. Anyway suffice to say, I ended up running from potential foes shouting "oh no not another nightmare battle". Not what I want as I normally enjoy RPG combat and levelling up.
I sold it on ebay in the end, if you have a life don't buy it, if you have literally nothing else to do then you may like it.
Post Thu Oct 09, 2003 11:54 am
Guest Viewer

Wizardry 8

I frankly loved Wizardry 8. It's a shame that the company has gone out of business and this was their last episode. I hate replaying computer games, especially RPG's, and I am geting ready to fire this one up again. The level of detail with the characters and combat I loved. If someone likes lots of details, like true pen-and-paper systems, then Wiz 8 is as good as a computer game can get. Be warned, it can be drearly repetitive at times, but everything has it's fault.

Dave
Post Sat Oct 11, 2003 9:44 pm

Cryptor69
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

;)

I play this right now. Grafix are not to obad, the story and idea is fantastic. I rally like the variety in available characters. But I have a probem with it. And this is the only thing that bugs the hell out of me. It's the little fairly like creatures, well, when there is a couple of them they kill me every time almost and there is nothing that I can do. What bugs me even more is that I have no problems with almost any battles except the ones involving these little bastards I don;t know if it's my playing, my party or the game but this one single type of foe is deadly. Besides that and slightly outdated grafix it's a very good game, definetly worth trying out if you can find it in the bargain bin
Post Fri Jan 09, 2004 9:09 am
SlEpEc[SRo]
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Please help me...

I love this game but i have minor question: Where I find the "Vampire bat's wing"? If somebody know, send me email. My email is: uhlikmiro@post.sk Thanks.
Post Sat Apr 03, 2004 1:54 am
shrewgirl
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I started out with Wiz 7 and ended up going back and playing everything from Wiz 1(whihc was a grid game) all the way up; if you have every checked out the wiz 8 forum you know I was and still am a huge fan of this game, particluarly 8 and if I ever win a mega lottery or find out I have anunknown and huge inheritance coming to me I would round up the guys that made the series just to make another one!!!! Yes, there are some little annoyances with the game, but if you hang in there it is well worth it!
Post Mon Jul 12, 2004 5:18 am
Lucky Day

I've never had better support on any game I've ever played - including NWN. Linda Currie used to fix my my occaisional bugs herself.

Actually, this is one of the few games that work almost perfectly out of the box. Its highly, highly addictive. Its also one of the most storied games ever made having over 10 years in development and when it was finally ready their publishers kept going bankrupt.

Personally, I preferred the first 4 Wizardries before DW Bradley got ahold of it. Losing the unique spell systems was one of the saddest things to happen (Mahalito).

There are several Japanese Wizardries that spun off from main the series not everyone is aware of.

PS - Trebor Sux!
Post Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:57 pm