Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
OMG! Deadric longsword & claymore early in the game!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - Spoilers

Author Thread
Rangstrom
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Most games can be broke but that doesn't mean you have to bow to temptation. If stealing makes it too easy--don't steal. Use basic weapons and armor, don't use potions etc. Play the game not the code.
Post Tue Jun 04, 2002 9:00 pm
Fireteddy
City Guard
City Guard

Meh. One of the developers said in an interview that the Construction Set was the ultimate cheat tool, and it is, and that the game is piss-easy to exploit and cheat, which it is.

But people who enjoy roleplaying games - and I mean real fans of the genre, not the crossover Final Fantasy VII people - enjoy them because they like to roleplay. Hacking a game to get huge items and creating a character like that for the sole purpose of raiding a treasure-rich plantation is about as far from actual roleplaying as you can get.

Maybe it's just me, but I enjoy playing the game the way it's supposed to be played. I killed Dren honestly, and it was a tough fight... I doubt that even with the Lover's Kiss you'd be able to kill him (he is wearing ebony armor and has a host of difficult guards) and combined with low start-of-the-game skills, you'd have a tough time even hitting him.

Instead of going through all that trouble, why not just turn on God mode and smack him up royal? Or put an entire set of all the armors and all the weapons in the game in the Census and Excise Offices of Seyda Neen using the Construction Set?

So calling the game unbalanced and cheap is kind of a low blow. The developers wanted to give the player complete freedom to have any kind of game they want, and they're very much succeeded. Morrowind is a rich, living world, and if you want to botch it by cheating and exploiting and playing cheap, then by all means! The developers want you to do that, too.

Me, I like the game the way it is.

-Matt digresses all over the nice RPGDot floor.
Post Tue Jun 04, 2002 9:26 pm
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

No Llama. They did a great job of balance. They allowed people who wanted to play a layed back game, to do so. And they still left those who want a challange to find taht type of gameplay.

It's your own fault that you are one of the llamas that took all the advantanges of the layed back route, yet bitch about it when your powerleveling is too easy then. If you want hack and slash game, go play D2. Leave MW alone. This is not hack and slash. But I guess you wouldn't understand such things. I guess you're one of those people whose sole purpose to playing games like this is to get the sword with the biggest number on it. Then you feel strong and powerful. Especially if the monsters that you can beat with it are invincible against any lesser sword. Killing for you is only numbers. They are just computer figments of imagination and aside from containing swords with bigger numbers, they don't mean jack. I say again, go play D2 and leave MW to us that want to actually... *gasp* ROLE PLAY. Where you don't kill something in the game only because it has a sword with bigger number on it.

I for one trully enjoyed coming upon Dren Plantation when I was level 1. Seeing that armor on the shelf behind Dren made me drool and I spent good half hour trying to swipe it. No luck. So I left with a solemn promise I'll be back one day... Took me till level 3 and a lot of misc skill development before I came back and could lift that armor.

I still have this armor, many levels later. It sits on the desk of "my" house alongside other top level items. But today, I run around in ordinary clohtes only. The big and bulky armor didn't fit my ROLE PLAYING purposes, so I decided to go unarmored. Can you imagine that? Geez, I must be really dumb to try and actually make this game fun.
Post Tue Jun 04, 2002 10:18 pm
Llama
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
If stealing makes it too easy--don't steal.

Oh, so you're telling me, don't roleplay in a roleplaying game? tsk tsk

To MoonDragon:

Before I reply to your post, I have to ask you one question before.

Are you going to run the other way crying, when I rip your entire post to shreds and throw it back in your face??? Considering I, in a way, represent RPGdot due to me being a moderator I don't want you going to cry to Rend on me...
Post Wed Jun 05, 2002 2:50 am
Llama
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Meh. One of the developers said in an interview that the Construction Set was the ultimate cheat tool, and it is, and that the game is piss-easy to exploit and cheat, which it is.

I didn't use the editor until I realized how simple the game was, then I tried to make it harder by increasing the time it took to raise in skill levels.

quote:
But people who enjoy roleplaying games - and I mean real fans of the genre, not the crossover Final Fantasy VII people - enjoy them because they like to roleplay. Hacking a game to get huge items and creating a character like that for the sole purpose of raiding a treasure-rich plantation is about as far from actual roleplaying as you can get.

I'm sorry, apparently you haven't played this game yet. See, the only way you can finish the game is by slaughter. So, you have to hack your way through various parts of the game. Like every cave, shrine and tomb you enter. You lose.

quote:
Maybe it's just me, but I enjoy playing the game the way it's supposed to be played. I killed Dren honestly, and it was a tough fight... I doubt that even with the Lover's Kiss you'd be able to kill him (he is wearing ebony armor and has a host of difficult guards) and combined with low start-of-the-game skills, you'd have a tough time even hitting him.

He's wearing orcish armor, not ebony. Armor also does not make you harder to hit, it only decreases the amount of damage you take. Dren has 2 guards in his Vila, one that is patrolling, and a second that's invisible until you kill the patroling guard or Dren himself. This has already been explained though. He's easy to hit when he's paralyzed, and he dies before the 60 seconds is up.

quote:
Instead of going through all that trouble, why not just turn on God mode and smack him up royal? Or put an entire set of all the armors and all the weapons in the game in the Census and Excise Offices of Seyda Neen using the Construction Set?

Because that's cheating, instead, I used what the developers designed within their own game.

quote:
So calling the game unbalanced and cheap is kind of a low blow. The developers wanted to give the player complete freedom to have any kind of game they want, and they're very much succeeded. Morrowind is a rich, living world, and if you want to botch it by cheating and exploiting and playing cheap, then by all means! The developers want you to do that, too.

Nobody is cheating here, slick. Everything I did in that example was what was given to me when I installed the game itself. A save feature, a reload feature, an attack button, a magic button, the ability to run, sleep and equip weapons/armor.

quote:
Me, I like the game the way it is.

A broken, simple pile of junk.
Post Wed Jun 05, 2002 3:00 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2