View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
TheLonePaladin
Mighty Warrior
Mighty Warrior

what tom thought about MW

well since i got my dissing juices flowing, i'll post here too

ok...nice graphics. i mean...really nice. its like...myst only you can do stuff....that like actually matters. so you step off your boat and get your character all nice and created. same problem here as in NWN. ok you got about a dozen faces to choose from. greeeeeeeaaaaaaat. I WANT CUSTOMIZATION!!!!!! IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK FOR???? KANFLAMMIT!! so there you go choosing your classes and whatnot. i liked the create your own character class dealie...but how come you cant name it?? no biggy.

so i got my char (now this game had good walking and running effects; everyone struts. i axally thought this was kinda annoying after an hour or so...although i thought i always looked cool.) and the people could be a little more refined graphics wise...but with the environmental stuff i completely understand. the storyline is good too. the freedom is....refreshing. but just for the heck of it, i follow the storyline.

just when i thought i'd have to quit playing for the same reason i quit dungeon siege (mind numbingly repetitive quests) the blades guy says, "ok here's the pay-off for your hacking and slashing: you're the legendary prophesized savior of the world!!" the little warning voice that warns me of sucky games suddenly screams at me "NNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"
[EDIT: The word was too long; it messed up site layout. Jaz]

just when i'd thought i'd found the perfect rpg, BAM, its the same ol' same ol'. so i say "screw this. i'm gonna go climb the ranks of the fighter's guild." so i do. and i achieve the highest rank. you know what happens? NOTHING!!! oh great i'm the master of the fighters guild ..................................... AND ?????????????????????

so i've given up hope on this. lemme use the tools. after i learn how to work the stuff (no thanks to bethesda) it works out pretty good. the only problem is, i want to make my own continent or whatever (sculpting land is fun) and the paint tile is just that....1 tile. in a place where theres 5000 tiles i dont wanna paint one tile at a time. this could be my own ineptitude, but i just gave up on the tools.

so i'm not gonna follow the story, i cant follow the "freedom" anymore, and i've given up on the tools.... shplegginflaghigginblackengar .....

if you have an xbox, rent this one a few times and get all the enjoyment you can out of it, cuz it sure as heck wont do you much good after a few eeks...unless your into the whole same ol' storyline of uber saviors.

oh and the 3rd person combat is kinda stupid....more fun than NWN, but not nearly as fun as diablo...

so i liked the graphics for the most part, good inventory system, the rest is just....blech...

as before, this is all IMHO...i can see why someone would like this game, it just aint for me...
"Though the gates that stand between the mortal world and the immortal Realm of Chaos are now closed to me, still I would rather die having glimpsed eternity than never to have stirred the cold furrow of mortal life.
I embrace death without regret as I embraced life without fear."
Post Sun Dec 29, 2002 5:13 am
D.J.
Village Leader
Village Leader

Re: what tom thought about MW

quote:
Originally posted by TheLonePaladin
I WANT CUSTOMIZATION!!!!!! IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK FOR???? KANFLAMMIT!! so there you go choosing your classes and whatnot. i liked the create your own character class dealie...but how come you cant name it?? no biggy.

What the hell are you talking about? You can name your Character, you can manually select any ability you want.

This is not a third person RPG, so donīt play it like that. Itīs there just for looking at your character

Hm, and what did you expect when youīre the master of the fighters guild? That you could give others new thousands of quests, lol.

About the tools; if your incapable donīt blame the game, blame your stupidity. I donīt know how can then other people make houses, weapons and even quests.

If you donīt like the game donīt play it. Dissing it wonīt help you.
Post Sun Dec 29, 2002 12:09 pm
InSaNe
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

ya.. you don't have to follow the story line, just jump around the world killing creatures OR join a great house! (telvanni for mages, redoran for fighters, hlaalu for thieves) im in redoran right now and i think its pretty amusing, your just not an rpglover thats the problem!
Post Sun Dec 29, 2002 1:26 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

He didn't talk about naming characters; Tom obviously didn't like the fact that you can't name your custom character classes.

Besides, not every CRPG-lover will like Morrowind, just as not every CRPG-lover will like BG. I for instance can't stand most of the iso-3D CRPGs, which doesn't mean I don't like other CRPGs.
Post Sun Dec 29, 2002 1:59 pm
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

quote:
Originally posted by Jaz
He didn't talk about naming characters; Tom obviously didn't like the fact that you can't name your custom character classes.

Naming character classes? did he meant like battlemage, acrobat or witchunter? You actually can name your own character classes. I named my character class as Mage Warrior, something like the premade class of Battlemage.

As for the TES tool, it's not a magical tool, neither it's perfect. You need a lot of time to invest in it to make things work, and most importantly - your determination. I only managed to made a small dungeon after spending a whole day, and it still buggy.

The game, i think most people who visited this board aware about the weaknesses of MW (always a "hot discussion" about it, & i'm extremely bored of it), so take notice about the complaints before anyone buy the game.

Last edited by Remus on Sun Dec 29, 2002 3:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
Post Sun Dec 29, 2002 2:55 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

That's what I grasped from what he wrote. But I may be wrong.
Post Sun Dec 29, 2002 3:07 pm
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Sure you can name your own character classes. I play something called "Survivor" right now, and creating your ownj class plugin is as easy as it can get.

He has a point, though, talking about the unsatisfactory advancement in guilds. Although some give you nice stuff when you advance, being head of a guild is nothing noteworthy.
Post Sun Dec 29, 2002 3:15 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

quote:
Originally posted by Rendelius
Sure you can name your own character classes. I play something called "Survivor" right now, and creating your ownj class plugin is as easy as it can get.
Excuse me, sir, but can I have a clue? When I design my custom class, MW puts "adventurer" into the title and doesn't seem to want me to change it. Clicking in the field and backspacing certainly doesn't work for me. What simple thing am I missing?
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Sun Dec 29, 2002 3:27 pm
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

backspacing <--- key works for me.
Post Sun Dec 29, 2002 3:58 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

I like Morrowind, but this guy has a point. The artificial intelligence in Morrowind is not very good. The world-simulation aspect is not very good. It seems to me that the whole world in Morrowind is somewhat static, and that is what everyone is complaining about. You get to the highest rank in fighters guild and nothing happens that corresponds with it. It would have been nice to get challenged or something, or to even have anything happen that corresponds. The fact is, the world does not change according to the player's actions, unless it was scripted. Dont get me wrong, Bethesda did a great job at this game, especially graphics-wise and content-wise, but it needs to be taken further. They need to go back to school and take a class called Artificial Intelligence Theory. So its not a matter of liking or disliking the game, its more of a matter of the lack of a true world simulation and lack of a robust A.I. system.

EDIT -- if those two things were present in Morrowind i bet you $10 that not very many people would be complaining...
Post Sun Dec 29, 2002 4:31 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

quote:
Originally posted by Remus
backspacing <--- key works for me.
Seriously, I tried that...
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Sun Dec 29, 2002 5:59 pm
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

First CLICK into the box, then backspace.
Post Sun Dec 29, 2002 6:12 pm
InSaNe
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

backspace doesn't work for me either.. could it be my illegal copy?
(seriously i tried over 50 times!)
Post Mon Dec 30, 2002 12:11 am
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

Yep, that's it

Illegal copies are lacking in various ways - they have the inability to edit some text boxes, crashes to desktop are more common, things go a bit funny after your save game gets over three megabytes in size. Also, in most illegal copies, the final Dagoth Ur scripts don't fire properly, and the game is impossible to finish. Damn shame, but that's why you pay for a proper copy guys!
Post Mon Dec 30, 2002 1:05 am
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

AI in Morrowind

Well, maybe the AI could have been a bit better, but you can't really expect a full semi-sentient neural-net system or anything!

Perfection doesn't exist in any particular piece of software, as there exists a ship date which must eventually be reached. A 100% photo-realistic graphics engine or a full physics engine would be very nice indeed... but it's totally unnecessary for the game to achieve its aims.

It would be nice to have NPCs that react to your actions, remember past events, acknowledge your status in the world, react differently based on what they've heard about you, act interested in what you have to say, engage you in free-form conversations etc etc, but in order to provide services and information to the player and to trigger events, all you need is a simple script-based event system coupled with a phrase-based conversation system. Perfect!
Post Mon Dec 30, 2002 1:40 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next