Fallout 3: Interview @ IGN
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land

Fallout 3: Interview @ IGN

Another 'Fallout 3' <a href="http://pc.ign.com/articles/529/529773p1.html" target="_blank">interview</a> has hit the web, this time at PC.IGN. Again, few real details are revealed but the answers are slightly longer. See what you make of this quote:<blockquote><em><b>IGNPC: Can we expect something similar to the work done on Morrowind, in terms of that style of game experience?</b> <br> <br>Pete Hines: Again, it's early to say, but it wouldn't be a leap of faith to say that we plan to use technologies in development otherwise. You could make some fairly safe leaps of faith that it would be similar in style. We're not going to go away from what it is that we do best. We're not going to suddenly do a top-down isometric Baldur's Gate-style game, because that's not what we do well.</em></blockquote>I'd love to hear what you made of this.
Post Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:15 am

quote:
We're not going to suddenly do a top-down isometric Baldur's Gate-style game, because that's not what we do well

Why buy the licence for such a game then ?
Post Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:17 am

hoyp
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous
quote:
We're not going to suddenly do a top-down isometric Baldur's Gate-style game, because that's not what we do well

Why buy the licence for such a game then ?

LMAO
Post Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:31 am

I think we are starting to see signs of just how different fallout 3 is going to be from the original Van buren project was. What Im getting from this interview is that its going to be a third person, maybe first pserson, real time POS. Oh well.
Post Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:33 am

Nyarlathotep
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I don't think we can conclude anything right now. The deal was struck when, a week ago? I think Bethesda is only in the process of reviewing what they can do with the licence. That's not even planning the game. Perhaps they might even finish Van Buren if they have access to that code and like it.

It's way too early to say anything. I just hope that Bethesda learns from the flaws in Morrowind...
Post Tue Jul 13, 2004 1:15 pm
Dhruin

This has been coming for a little longer than that - but it is *very* early. Still, I'd be very surprised if the appropriate powers at Bethsoft didn't have a very good idea of what approach they would take when they put their offer in. Wouldn't you?
Post Tue Jul 13, 2004 1:48 pm
DarkPhantom
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Even though, as Nyarlathotep said, we can't conclude anything right now, I'm kinda sceptic...Bethesda doesn't have any Isometric game in their portfolio. They pretty much only did the Elder Scrolls series, in the RPG field, and we all know how they look. It's nothing alike the FO style...

Sure, they can start now, doing different things, but being this the first, with such a long background in the first-person style, I'm concerned that the game will lack quality...

But, let's wait and see, it's really too early to say anything...

Last edited by DarkPhantom on Tue Jul 13, 2004 2:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Tue Jul 13, 2004 2:31 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Of cousre they have good idea what they will do. However I doubt it will be near to previous Fallouts (and it doesnt mean that it will be bad).
Post Tue Jul 13, 2004 2:32 pm
skaven510
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Wanna bet ?

If they make it 1st person it's not fallout 3.
Post Tue Jul 13, 2004 2:56 pm
jski

say goodbye to the fallout series as we knew it...

Does any of this sound familiar to anyone ? I remember some of the original material for what would have been a great ultima 9. Then they lost a bunch of people,changed the design, and we ended up with Ascension. Fallout 3/Van Buren was already well into develpement and now its switched to a new developer and we hear the same crap. "Oh I love fallout, I`m its biggest fan, but oh yeah, its not going to be isometric". I heard all this same garbage when U9 was being made.
Here is my estimation with 25 years of playing video games. multiplatform and a non-isometric view mean you can kiss turn-based combat goodbye (its not fallout without that). If its not going to be isometric and its not going to have turn based combat, I`m dying of curiosity to see how it WONT be morrowind with guns. Its more than just the setting that made fallout into what it was.It was the game systems that made it so much fun. What is the obsession with every developer trying to turn the fallout franchise into everything but what the people who will buy the game want. The people want fallout 3 ( i assume most want it to be isometric and turn-based). We dont want crap like brotherhood of steel, fallout tactics, fallout online, fallout first person shooter, or fallout card games. Bethesda and Interplay need to just get their heads out of their asses and make the ame the fans have been dying for. IF the Van Buren stuff was good, just finish and release the damn thing.
Sorry for the rant.I`m not a big fan of the elder scrolls series. How did Obsidian or Bioware not end up with this thing !?
Post Tue Jul 13, 2004 4:09 pm

Pinky's Brain
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Lets hope they follow Interplay into oblivion before they manage to ship.
Post Tue Jul 13, 2004 5:13 pm
Halsy
Village Leader
Village Leader

I don't have much hope for the game. Morrowind sucked and these clowns sound like they wanna' fix what ain't broke. **** you Interplay! Why couldn't you have let someone with talent and experience have it (i.e. Troika)?

If Bethesda is incapable of FINISHING Van Buren as is, give it to Troika to finish and THEN make a first person Fallout or Fallout MOG.

Please do not use foul language here. -Val
Post Tue Jul 13, 2004 6:36 pm
Lucky Day

a great day for FO fans

Chill
Bethesda is a great company that has made great RPG's. Morrowind was a great and beautiful game unlike junk like Gothic.

All they've done so far is acquired the rights and since they are small software developer with a love for RPG's, have coveted this franchise for five years and are in great financial shape we can expect something really good from them.

Todd Howard so far has stated that he's played and finished both FO Tactics and BoS and didn't like either one of them. This is a good sign.

Certainly Troika or Obsidian have the most experience with this franchise than anyone but Obsidian is starting out and Troika for both its great games seems to have had some false starts.

Bethesda is right to say they shouldn't make a BG game and to use technologoies they are familair with. This way they don't have to start from scratch and have to relearn it. They will be able to get it out faster with fewer bugs as well whatever they decide to do.

With 70% of gaming sales being console no one should be surprised by any company that decides not to rule out that kind of marketing. It is surprising that Bethesda awas able to pull it off making Morrowind for the XBox considering the technology in that machine and the quality of Morrowind.

Howard has made it clear that it will bea PC game.

Its unfair to criticise the prdouct when they've only acquired the license and haven't even released the game yet. Thank God its not EA that has the rights. My only regret isn't they haven't got ownership of it completely. This means Interplay will still be around a little while longer instead of being buried. This, unless they owed Bethesda money and this was the terms of deal. Doubtful though.

I don't think we have to worry the future of FO 3, 4, or 5 when Interplay finally goes under. Whomever acquires their licenses will have to comply with whatever deal that IP made with Bethesda.
Post Tue Jul 13, 2004 6:55 pm

Pinky's Brain
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

What they arent familiar with is making games like Fallout, if they cant get over their unfamiliarity as far as game mechanics then I have little hope about any of the other aspects ... if the mechanics are changed beyond all recognition then it wont be Fallout 3 for me. Might be a good game regardless, it will have little to do with the existing franchise though. There is more to a franchise than backstory.

Why buy the franchise if you arent willing to work within the framework previous Fallout titles defined? The most reasonable conclusion is that is mostly a PR thing ... so they can put "a sequel to the award winning Fallout" on the box to woo gamers which havent even played the original games, but have absorbed the words of praise it has gotten over the years (but are unlikely to hear that this game has little to do with it, since most gaming publications just publish what they are told to). Now I cant blame them for doing it, but I can hate their guts for it.

Experience with the franchise has little to do with it, the will to make a game within in the existing franchise does ... if we are going to have a companye which will just do "what they are familiar with" then Id prefer Nival Interactive over Bethesda any day of the week.
Post Tue Jul 13, 2004 7:36 pm
Barghest
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Re: a great day for FO fans

quote:
Originally posted by Lucky Day
Bethesda is a great company that has made great RPG's. Morrowind was a great and beautiful game unlike junk like Gothic.

Are you mad? Bethesda hasn't made any good games. I can't even believe what you have said about Gothic too...!
Post Tue Jul 13, 2004 7:36 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next