Favorite Ships and Overall bank accounts
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > X2 / X3

Author Thread
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Favorite Ships and Overall bank accounts

So how did everyone do with X2? I loaded it up yesterday to see what condition I'd left things in and this is roughly how it broke down.

For active M2s I had a Titan and a Ray. I also had 88 million in the bank, 10 x 125 MW shield generators, 6 GPPC, 6 BPPC, and 3 APPC on my mobile Fortress ship... enough to outfit another M2. I only had 40 factories pumping out cash... a lot was funded by BBS missions.

According to the stats my favorite ship is a Paranid Pegasus. Go taxi missions... I run them whenever I'm in micromanage mode for my factories.

What is your favorite

M2, M6, M3, M4, M5?

I 'test drove' the Paranid and Split M2s and didn't like them. The Split Raptor (or is it the python) is brutally fast for an M2 which makes it good to chase things down... but its shield power isn't much better than an Osprey and its firing angles are really bad (strong on the sides, weak in the front ... defiintely a ship built for circling a target). The paranid one is devastating when let lose in a xenon or khaak sector if it equips all shockwave generators... a big ball of death... but it's sluggish to say the least.

Haven't tried the 'cardboard castle' Teladi one yet. Teladi ships are usually too slow for me.

So far my favorites are

The Titan - It has firepower to spare, excellent firing arcs, and good handling (for a capital ship). I have no troubles keeping the cannons on a target with the titan. The ray is good too... it's faster and cheaper.. but it's low cargo room is irritating.

M6 are hard to chose from. The Osprey is the most powerful, hands down... but power isn't everything. I like the look and the forward firepower of the Centaur... the speed of the Dragon... and the versitility of the Nemesis. In the higher ranks, where you're battling three or four M6 at once, several drop away in usefulness sadly. The dragon and nemesis don't have the forward firepower needed to wreck their foes and the centaur doesn't have the speed to retreat to recharge shields in an emergency.

M3 I haven't flown in a long time... they're the funnest to fly, however. Each has their points but overall the versitility of the Nova is hard to beat. Slow, though, and for strafing large targets the Mamba is where it's at.

M4 I rarely use. The 4 Ion Disruptor Bayoman is neat to see... two or three of them can strip a rival capital ships shields in seconds allowing you to blow it to bits in a matter of seconds. However the instant the capital ship targets one... they're toast. At nearly a million credits to fully deck out for shield stripping duty, repairs (because you had to capture them), and upgrades (captured) they're not worth it. Still, they are the best M4 for kicks... and I can take out a dozen novas in one without a problem.

M5 - Is there really a choice besides the Pegasus? M5 are scouts, not fighters ... so the fastest wins.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Wed Dec 29, 2004 4:20 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

I keep getting distracted away from X2. I don't think that's a statement about the game so much as evidence of my flightiness these days.

I never made it far enough to try the M2's, and the Centaur was the only M6 I flew. Given those limits, I prefer the Nova by a country mile. It's a solid ship for the combat-challenged such as myself.

Financially, I topped out at around 10M with around 10 factories and 4 Mk3's. That was in the game I abandoned for no apparent reason while in Texas. For some reason, my economy in my most recently abandoned effort was sputterring badly. Never did figure out what the problem was there.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:15 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

The AI improvements and decreased Khaak spawns increased the survival rates on NPC traders... individually it made little impact but taken in the scale of thousands of ships flitting about and you end up with less shortages to make profit from.

Secondary goods are where its at. After 1.4 my energy factory incomes dropped a bit but my Teladiarium foundries in Boron space are selling at max price all the time.

Once in a while it's not a bad idea to take an M2 and MAKE a shortage...

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Thu Dec 30, 2004 5:57 pm