RPGs without the 'C'
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Zephyr Elvirion
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

RPGs without the 'C'

I guess, like me, there're quite a few RPGers that also use a PlayStation?
I want to know what you guys (& girls) think of Japanese RPGs. Are they as good, better or worse than the 'conventional' RPGs? The stories - better, deeper, more intricate or just plain crap? Graphics? Game play? Character building? You name it - how do they rate?
I'm interested to know because they seem to be going thru a bit of a resurgence at the mo and I'm wondering what the average (I use that term very loosely ) RPGer thinks of them.
Post Wed Oct 15, 2003 11:07 pm
Bach & Baroque
Village Leader
Village Leader

Personally, I like the streamlined interface and gameplay that console RPGs normally consist of. It places emphasis on the action and storyline. There is less need for sticking your nose in instruction manuals for an hour before you have even a remote idea of how to go about actually playing the game. On the flip side, many might consider the simpler controls and combat styles "shallower". Maybe.

As aforementioned, I've personally felt that console RPGs place the emphasis on the storylines and characters. For example, look at Grandia II, one of the few console-style RPGs ported to the PC. I don't believe any other "PC" game has so deeply drawn me in, and the characters and story within it. The only other game that was equally affecting, to me, was "Anachronox," in and of itself an RPG hugely influenced by Japanese console RPGs!

By the same token, these "rich" storylines can be considered predictable, soppy trash. They resort to melodrama often bordering on soap opera. The cliches are abundant: witty, smart@$$ 15-year-old kid with a sentimental undercurrent, made known by the romantic interest, a vulnerable though stubborn (and often big-chested) girl. The end of the world is at stake, and a cynical adolescent is the only one that can save all humanity.

And yet I'm a sucker for sentimental heart-tuggers. I like to get choked up, or laugh uproariously, or find myself white-knuckled not out of sheer frustation, but because I'm in suspense, fearing for a beloved character's life.

I believe PC games generally have had the upper-hand in creating true and deepl worlds. The *atmosphere* that PC games can create is unsurpassed by console RPGs. Gothic is, in my experience, leaps and bounds ahead of any other game in terms of evoking a rich atmosphere. Diablo is another. (I love the town of Tristam!)

But in the end, I love console RPGs too!
Post Thu Oct 16, 2003 12:52 am
elkston
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Bach & Baroque

By the same token, these "rich" storylines can be considered predictable, soppy trash. They resort to melodrama often bordering on soap opera. The cliches are abundant: witty, smart@$$ 15-year-old kid with a sentimental undercurrent, made known by the romantic interest, a vulnerable though stubborn (and often big-chested) girl. The end of the world is at stake, and a cynical adolescent is the only one that can save all humanity.

LOL!!!
Post Thu Oct 16, 2003 5:41 am
Northchild
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

I have very fond memories of traditional console RPGs such as Shining the Holy Ark and Final Fantasy 7 (I had a version of FF7 imported from Japan), in addition to action console RPGs such as Blood Omen. I enjoyed Grandia 2 on a console as well. I dabbled with console RPGs around the time when the PSX and Saturn were popular in the U.S., though I've since sold my console systems.

Generally, PC games have been my focus lately, and sometimes not even that. My interest in games has shifted heavily in the past year, and I'd say that I have less than no interest in 90% of the games released on any system - RPG or otherwise. The games that have emotionally drawn me in the most over the past couple of years are ICO, Syberia, and Silent Hill 2. Maybe I just dislike games by U.S. houses.
Post Thu Oct 16, 2003 5:56 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

I really like Bach & Baroque's description - that was well written.

Sticking my nose in a manual for hours before starting is my idea of heaven. I spent hours planning a party for Wiz8 based on info I got off the net long before I got the game. I even had an Excel spreadsheet to help the comparisons.

The art style of Japanese RPG's does nothing for me, I dislike the linearity and those heart-tugging storylines are anathema - but it's all a matter of taste.
Post Thu Oct 16, 2003 9:35 am
Zephyr Elvirion
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

Yep, I have to agree was Dhruin (Not that I don't want to, lol). I have to have the manual for any game I play.
I spent about 8 hours reading NWN manual before I even loaded the game onto my PC.
I reckon it's hard enough playing a game, yet along trying to figure out HOW to play it at the same time. I mean, a manual is supplied with the game for a reason. Not only does it explain how things work, but you get tips and tricks and, as Dhruin said, you get the drop on how to make up, not only your party, but your character.
I get really ticked off with people who sell pre-played games and don't include the manual. And in an auction it's the first question I ask if it's not stated.
Post Thu Oct 16, 2003 10:04 am
Hexy
High Emperor
High Emperor

Oh, and the 'C' can't stand for Console in CRPG?

Anyway, most Console RPGs like the Final Fantaseez and stuff like Xeno Saga give you a linear and predictable story line.
Character progression is very limited, as well as the character diversion (often only one hero, and a few characters who follow you, characters you basically have to have all of). Dialogues aren't NEARLY as devloped as in ordinary Computer RPGs, the dialogue-choices in games like FF and Xeno saga basically consist of 'yes' and 'no'.

Combat is often slow (TB) and annoying (constantly showing flashy video sequences which you will grow sick and tired of already when you're halfway through). I mean, seriously, those video clips make up more than half of the actual game, sometimes, it's like watching a long, poorly-made video. And although that can be used to heighten emotions and epic occasions, it only takes from the actual role playing, and from the game in general.

Plus, I hate walking around in the world, only seeing one character of my party, in extremely static environments.

Graphics are good, though, and music and voice actings (at least japaneese). Which makes some of those Japaneese games worth playing a little.

The best FF games where those 'Final Fantasy Legends' series on game boy.
Post Thu Oct 16, 2003 10:12 am
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

Can't really comment on console RPGs, as I have only played Morrowind when I borrowed XBOX from my friend. Well, Morrowind is Morrowind, but I missed those cute plug-ins I use on my PC. I didn't quite liked graphics, too. And it's not a Japanese RPG... So I will shut up

But --

quote:
Originally posted by Dhruin
Sticking my nose in a manual for hours before starting is my idea of heaven. I spent hours planning a party for Wiz8 based on info I got off the net long before I got the game. I even had an Excel spreadsheet to help the comparisons.

Heh, I did more or less the same crazy thing. I still have packs of paper with all my project-parties for Wiz8. It was soooooooo much fun.

R.A.Salvatore The Cleric Quintet. Canticle
Post Thu Oct 16, 2003 11:13 am
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

Very few console RPGs are any good, and the ones that are are PC ports like Morrowind. The Japanese RPGs are unnecessarily complex and wordy, and are not very good (Shenmue 2). Stick with the PC.

Mediocreties, I absolve you!
Post Fri Oct 17, 2003 12:11 am
Dinzy
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I have enjoyed a couple of JRPGs in the past, but I agree that they are for the most part cliched and repetitive. They offer little freedom because consoles have no HDDs to keep track of all the choices a game would make( except for Xbox). They are more like graphic novels, whereas PC RPGs are more like a choose your own adventure book. Up until now all JRPGS have been the same as old NES rpgs at their core. Only now they feature flashy FMVs and voiced dialogue. I think the next generation of consoles will all include big HDDs so maybe by then we will start seeing more PC like RPGs coming from Japan.
Post Fri Oct 17, 2003 1:47 pm
dschrier
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I like console RPG's and PC RPG's equally well. They both do different things for me depending on what mood I am in. Console RPG's are good if you want to see your character level up a lot, gain stats, get new equipment, fight lots of battles, read a good story. I play PC RPG's because there is more depth, can explore more, usually more replayability. Both have their ups and downs. Console RPG's are faaaaaar less buggy than PC RPG's and you don't need to worry about system specs. I can just push the on button and start playing. I feel that if you discount one or the other as garbage you aren't being fair to yourself in experiencing all that you could be.
Post Fri Oct 17, 2003 7:20 pm
Zephyr Elvirion
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

Patches and bugs (as per dschrier) are something I hadn't thought of in the plus's for console games. He's right! You just put the disk in and away you go. I'm sure many of us have been stumped in a PC game more than once due to a bug - Lionheart springs to mind I wonder why the makers get it right first time with console games and not PC?
Post Fri Oct 17, 2003 8:27 pm
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

Making a game for one console platform involves far fewer variables than for a myriad of possible PC permutations. Speaking of manuals, It took me the better part of a day to read and digest the ToEE manual at over 170 pages of small type. I still refer to it on a regular basis to check things out.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Fri Oct 17, 2003 11:05 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

I love JRPG. I like the cliche characters, the predictable plots, the exaggerated emotions and the verbose dialogue. I like the repetitive nature of the turn based combat, the hunting for phat lewt, the mindlessness of any built in mini-game.,

They're FUN. They work, the stories are often passable, if predictable, and the combat is fun! I never get tired of throwing fire spells at the enemies and casting cure 2 on the players, in any of the incarnations.

Final Fantasy (Square as a whole actually) is the king of the ring in this genre, no doubt. I haven't played another series that is nearly as good (I liked Breath of Fire 1, 2, and 3 though). The storyline of Final Fantasy VI was great. I also liked the story of FF 7 - 9 (8 was good because it was different, but I was glad to get back to the Fantasy in 9).

Playing a FF game is like greeting an old friend... no matter how much they change, the similarities that made them your friend in the first place are still present.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Sat Oct 18, 2003 4:12 pm
hoyp
High Emperor
High Emperor

I'd rather eat dirt than play console "rpgs"

But of course, that's just me.
Post Sat Oct 18, 2003 5:33 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next