Usergroups
Dungeons & Dragons Online (PC, MMORPG)
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Games Comments

Author Thread
smack

somebody help us

D&D mmolrpg? awsome

turbine? omg, pls no! just look at how they screwed up ac2!
Post Mon May 19, 2003 6:13 pm

Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

i share your sentiments, but im not worried about it being Turbine. Microsoft are the ones that screwed up AC2 bcuz that greedy corporation wanted to attract a non-existent "casual" player-base.
Post Mon May 19, 2003 7:04 pm

"Microsoft are the ones that screwed up AC2 bcuz that greedy corporation wanted to attract a non-existent "casual" player-base."

Actually, I've heard it was Turbine's own management who made that decision. The company changed a lot when Jeff Anderson (formerly of OSI) was hired as CEO. Shortly after he arrived, about 1/3 of the staff that had made AC1 were laid off. Two years later, the same company that made AC1 releases the dreck that is AC2.

Coincidence? I wonder.
Post Mon May 19, 2003 10:06 pm

Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

hmm. On second thought, these investors are morons for entrusting Turbine with two of the most popular MMORPG franchises ever (except for SWG), both Middle Earth Online and Dungeons and Dragons Online. Freaking idiot investors. Turbine has ALREADY screwed up MEO. I tell you, go to their official website and have a looksee, especially in the FAQ and the forums. MEO is mediocre. At best it will be an average mmorpg. SWG is gonna blow it out of the water, and MEO isnt even released yet. For instance, they have decided (idiots at Turbine!) that it would be "best" to wait to include other lands other than the Shire for "future expansions." This means, my disappointed fellows, that the first release of MEO isnt gonna have Mordor, it isnt going to have Gondor and the Silver City either. In fact, it isnt going to have the Misty Mountains, the Lonely Mountain, nor will it have Mirkwood or the Iron Hills. In fact, the only place within Middle Earth that the initial release is going to have is the Shire and maybe a little around its edges. Thats PATHETIC. Greed has a LOT to do with Turbine's moronic decisions. And they are so INCOMPETENT that they arent able to flesh out or design Middle Earth Online the way such a franchise is supposed to be. They could have at least created the whole of Middle Earth instead of a lazy fourth. They have screwed MEO from the very beginning. I just dont trust Turbine to do anything right, now. In fact, i really dislike them now. A lot.
Post Thu May 29, 2003 7:45 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

I am afraid for this game and my favorite hobby. Very afraid.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Sat May 31, 2003 5:50 am
Squirrelsquisher
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Obviously, you have forgotten or this psot is older than ur post about u never wanting to play SWG again, lol SWG has been marked by PC magazine, PC gamers, MMORPGdot.com a timesink and a mmorpg not worth the time to even look at, let alone play. It might get better down the road, but as of right now, it sucks. AC2 has bad management but I have been with it since the beta and it is improving. One thing I have noticed seeing ppl come and go, is not many seem to have the patience to let the bugs get worked out of a new game that hasnt been out a year yet. Sure AC2 had bugs, but it never got the ship-sinking review SWG did, lol
Post Sat Jun 28, 2003 11:13 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

umm that was a long time ago when i believed (or got conned into believing) that SWG was the best thing on earth besides women. now i think this game might do a lot better than SWG. funny how things change. funny indeed. currently i am starting to play a game that i have heard nothing but good things about lately, World War II Online, instead of DAOC, because, frankly, it takes > 2 months to get to 50 when the fun RvR starts, and i dont want to waste all that time killing really stupid computer controlled mobs. i want team-based combat NOW damnit! hehe, anyway, i am waiting to see how Horizons might pan out. Actually i am really waiting for Realms of Torment, Dragon Empires, and Darkfall Online to appear. Those 3 are my favs after i realized that having intelligent human opponents is much much better and more satisfying that some stupidly programmed silicon retard. hmmph. hehe. and i agree, SWG is a crappy game. <waits for thrown tomatoes>
Post Sun Jun 29, 2003 5:44 am
bloodsouls

bata??

how does one become a beta tester would love to see if the idea holds up in game play. I for one have been playing d&d for about 27 years and would love to see if it holds true to the spirt and rules on line as it does IRL. I also play EQ and would like to experiance the difference in RP from click kill to the martial killing and quests this is speaking of.
Post Thu Sep 23, 2004 1:54 am

Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

It appears D&DOnline will be basically a dungeon-crawling game. While there is nothing wrong with that, it might be good because it has 1) smaller server populations, 2) great graphics, and 3) its more concentrated on dungeons. They are really emphasizing the "dungeons" part. I might buy this game just to try it out, not that i believe its the "next best thing" but i might buy it just to find out what its gonna be like. I dont think i will play it very long though, unless its really great, which i dont expect it to be, which is a good thing since expectations are half of what ruin games nowadays anyway, if they turn out to be bad. I dont expect much from this game, honestly. Its made by Turbine. As for Middle Earth Online, i have chosen to wait for a few years for them to have created a lot of expansions that will cover the WHOLE of Middle Earth, instead of segments like the first release will have: they have said they will cover the rest of Middle Earth after the original release, in expansions. So... after they get Mordor in there, the Misty Mountains, the Mirkwood, the Lonely Mountain, the Iron Hills, the South, Gondor, ect -- after they get all that stuff in there, THATS when i will buy Middle Earth Online, not before. Im not going to support them until they give me a COMPLETE Middle Earth. As for Dungeons and Dragons Online... might be good, might not. The graphics certainly contend with EQ2, which is really good news, but the gameplay might suck. Or it might be cool. I dunno. Endless dungeons sounds pretty good to me, although what if you get lost, lol.

www.shadowpool.com
www.darkfallonline.com
Post Thu Sep 23, 2004 12:14 pm
BlueDestinyX

hmm

I don't think going after a casual player base was bad. Having NO npcs, NO stores, no way to getting drops that matter from enemies, a basicly empty and dead world are the huge mistakes that were made. From the very first time I heard about AC2 and read that there woudl be no NPC I knew it was doomed cause I just don't see how that would work, leaving everything up to the player is insane..

As a casual player that goes back and forth between being a powergamer depending on how my time situation is, I found those problem above to be the the world. Not to mention I hated how my character looked, walked, and ran. Things are way to open in my opinion which makes the world look even more dead and empty.

I hope they don't make the same horrible mistakes with D&D or MEO.
Post Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:33 pm

Cryptor-guest

Playing Beta

I am playing BETA of DDO and in just few hours after playing it i quit WoW and pre-ordered DDO. This game is unbelievable ! The graphics is unreal, WoW looks like crayon drawing of a 12 year old kid beside this game. I will streighten few things out here 'couse form what i read some pple have no idea about what thi sgame is about.

1- There is NPC's, infact alot of them, more then in most games.
2 - There is trading, not thru auction house but a chat chanel.
3 - this game concentrates on questing, not grinding.
4 - The customization options on characters make everything else look simplistic ( mind you the haircuts provided in beta are somewhat unoriginal ).

This is a great game, if you are planning on playing it then e-mail me mkranc@thinktree.ca so we could team up
Post Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:26 pm

Cryptor-Guest1

BLUEDESTINYX - What are you talking about ? Virtually everything you said about DDO is incorrect.

there ARE npc's
there ARE vendors
there ARE drops from mobs that matter
the world is alive and thriving !

You should really try it, i think you will be shocked, especially considering what you said here.
Post Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:32 pm

Sir Markus
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

Does this game have any kind of interface or character sheet screen? All I see are a bunch of pretty screen shots over at their website.
Post Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:09 pm