Fallout-like games
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Fallout

Author Thread
Oye
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Fallout-like games

It seems to be a trend these days, creating games based on the Fallout-setup with ap's, skills, perks and the the like. Arcanum and lionheart to name some from the top of my head. Now, I dont think this is weird at all, seeing that the Fallout-series are really great games, but Fallout 1 was published, what, 5 years ago?

Am i the only one finding this sudden outburst a bit odd? Why now?

Last edited by Oye on Fri Nov 29, 2002 5:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Fri Nov 29, 2002 12:21 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Hmm, could it possibly be because Arcanum was made by the people who made Fallout and Lionheart is being made by the developing house that made Fallout and has the license for using the SPECIAL system?
Post Fri Nov 29, 2002 5:01 am
Oye
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

that might very well be it, yeah

¯|_
   |_     
     |_

Post Fri Nov 29, 2002 5:45 am
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

dont get very many "after the apocalypse" type games, i wish there was more, its a theme i really enjoy.Fallout Tactics has a great game world but the gameplay itself is pretty lame. Fallout Tactics really blows, I couldnt even really play it, and i like tactical rts's.
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Fri Nov 29, 2002 10:28 pm
Oye
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

couldnt agree more \o/

¯|_
   |_     
     |_

Post Sat Nov 30, 2002 12:24 am
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

Im still hoping for Fallout 3.
Post Sat Nov 30, 2002 4:42 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Supposedly they arent even workin on it, bums me out
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Sun Dec 01, 2002 5:24 am
Oye
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

let's hope they're working on it, but keeping it secret to avoid hype

i'd surely love them (more) if it was so

¯|_
   |_     
     |_

Post Sun Dec 01, 2002 6:34 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land

They definitely *aren't* working on it. Feargus Urquhart has been very clear on that in interviews.

However, I'm fairly confident they will one day. As I recall, Feargus said they'd promised F3 to a particular internal dev group, so I assume they at least discussed the possibility. JE Sawyer has had long arguments on fansites about certain features and Chris Avellone is a Fallout junky - so I think this all augers well.

What I suspect they need above all other things (and this is just a guess), is the opportunity (ie, the promised development team doesn't have another more important project) and for Interplay to have the finances to give BIS the freedom to choose a favourite project rather than make decisions that are heavily coloured by finance/sales needs.

Before you say F3 would sell better than anything - both Feargus and Sawyer have discussed this and while Fallout sales were OK, F3 is far from an automatic best-seller.

Besides, it's not an easy project. Do you stay 2D or go 3D? Do you keep it TB or offer RT which might appeal to a wider audience. Keeping everyone happy will not be easy.

Still, fingers crossed for one day.
Post Sun Dec 01, 2002 7:22 am
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

I dunno, sometimes those old niche games really hit with a sequel, like Dungeon Keeper 2 did. DK1 was a good game, and alot of people played it, but it never got too much acclaim. But when Dk2 hit, youd have thought it was the coming of the greatest game of all time, as soon as it hit the shelves it flew off! I have a feeling F3 would do good in that regard.
Post Mon Dec 02, 2002 2:37 am
Incendiary Lemon
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

the squad that did Icewind Dale has the rights to it whenever it comes around.

But the Fallout games were only average sellers and Interplay can't afford to put out games like that on a yearly basis. There was that lovely period (for us) when they released torment and the fallout games but it wasn't economical.

Black Isle will make a few big sellers and earn the right from interplay (or whomever their publisher is given current straits) to do a project that they really care about.
Post Fri Dec 06, 2002 3:47 am
Zakhal
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Fallout like games?

http://www.the-fall.com/e/index.php?menu=features

the fall: last days of gaia. Time to raise fallout from the dead! Release in 2004 Q1.

Description: A post-apocalyptic 3D-RPG set in 2083
- 1000 NPCs
- 150 subquests

*non-linear story
*lots of npcs (different sorts of gangs, Indians, mutants and a lot of other very interesting groups and freaks. Mostly it’s up to the player if he fights against them or decides to talk his way through) and subquests (different options to solve each quest)
*Simulation of a complete post-catastrophe world (SW USA wasteland, dozens of towns, villages, caves and other places)
*party up to six members, each with their own characteristics
*Day- and night-cycle effects plus lifelike daily routines for every single NPC enhance realism
*vehicles like pick-ups or buggies
*fight system for real-time and simulated turn-based battles and countless tactical options
*interaction with the environment such as digging for water,hunting and gutting animals,building & modifying weapons and vechiles
*More than 300 different weapons, armor and other items
*camera perspectives from ISO to 3rd person.
*6 attributes, 14 skills, perks (i.e headshot or fast-loading for light weps), life experience, body features, etc.
Post Sun Nov 09, 2003 3:40 pm
Dhruin

I agree, Zakhal. The Fall is definitely one to watch for Fallout fans.

There are three reservations I have:

- the background story (wife killed by gangs, seeking revenge, join the new government) seems less "neutral" than in Fallout. There's lots of factions (very good) but it's not clear to me that the story won't ultimately come to a "good" conclusion. I hope there's plenty of room for evil or other paths.

- the skill system seems quite deep but there's no "speech" skills. No diplomacy or persuasion or leadership. Charisma will presumably be used in these situations but more depth for non-combat in the skill tree would be welcome.

- just a personal thing - I would have preferred full turn-based combat.

On the other hand, it looks great, the accent on story is welcome, vehicles, making weapons and items...
Post Sun Nov 09, 2003 9:46 pm
PsyckoSama
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Fallout 3 is under production. It's early in so it has been nt been anounced but it is. Van Buren is Fallout 3.
Post Mon Nov 10, 2003 6:41 am
Dhruin

This is an old thread carried over from CRPG General, so you're seeing some old comments.

We've been tracking Van Buren. It's page is here.
Post Mon Nov 10, 2003 8:02 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next