Gothic 1 or Gothic 2?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
BetterThanLife
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Gothic 1 or Gothic 2?

I'm brand new to Gothic, relatively, and even as a very devout follower of Morrowind, I've been completely suprised with Gothic, finding it hard to say Morrowind is better than Gothic at this point, which is saying a lot coming from me.

Anyway, first I bought Gothic 2, I've spent about 10hrs on it which is probably what most of you could accomplish in half that time =) I take my games slowly, I just recently joined the Mercenaries faction, to give you an idea of where I am in the game (tip of the iceberg I hope).

Then a couple days ago while Christmas shopping, I chance across a gem in the used PC game store, a copy of Gothic 1 for $10, so I simply couldn't pass it up, I snatched it up as well as a gift for my buddy.

Now I just need some direction from the devout followers of the Gothic series as to where I should go, I've installed both and I've actually started playing Gothic 1 and I just love that both games look about the same (2 has better textures as far as I can tell) and they are built from the same engine, so it seems to me maybe I should leave my Gothic 2 game on hold and just play Gothic 1, since so far it actually seems a lil bit better.

Whats everybody's suggestion? I want the full effect, these games are just pure gold in RPG terms, so perhaps I'm already answering my own question =)
I'd just like some input from the pro's!
Post Fri Dec 05, 2003 5:58 am
hoyp
High Emperor
High Emperor

Welcome to the forums.

I suggest that you play gothic 1, then play something else for a while thyen play gothic 2.
Post Fri Dec 05, 2003 6:40 am
jmurdock
Old Fogey
Old Fogey

Definitely G1 first. You learn a lot there. Although the controls differ slightly, G2 controls seem a little easier. You'll adjust quickly when you come back to G2 later. You get all the background that way.

REMEMBER... Many saves, many slots!!!
Post Fri Dec 05, 2003 7:15 am
Razer
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

You really should play G1 first.Just don't rush it.
Welcome to our world!
Post Fri Dec 05, 2003 9:49 am
Spunior
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

One more vote for Gothic 1. The controls might take a bit to get used to them, but that's it. You're not going to miss out on some important piece of information by playing G2 without having played G1 since all characters provide explanations, but it simply is a lot more rewarding to meet familiar NPCs again you got to know in the first game. And it's easier to understand their background and their attitude towards you.
Post Fri Dec 05, 2003 10:14 am
Darth Mader
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Play GI first!
For me it truly was like meeting an old friend when I found Diego in the valley in GII - a feeling you won't experience if you play the second part first, since you just can't know how great "the friends" are when you meet them in GII.

Since I've never faced the English version of Gothic or Gothic II, I want to apologize for bumpy translations...
Post Fri Dec 05, 2003 11:01 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Welcome to the forums!

I would also say you should play G1 first, although G2 is the slightly better game. You can find out about the differences between the two in our review.

Be careful not to powerlevel. If you give in to the temptation of killing every Orc you meet youŽll be more or less invincible in the end.

Use more than one save slot and feed the search function with 'fps patch'.

Playing G1 first isnŽt really necessary to enjoy G2 but you should definitely play it before the G2 add-on since there are many old friends in it.
Post Fri Dec 05, 2003 3:11 pm
BetterThanLife
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

!

Wow, I'd first like to say thank you to all who responded! Looks like its an overwhelming vote to go with G1 first, it makes sense but thanks for giving me direction.

I noticed the difference in the controls, but its not too big a deal to me, actually combat is a little easier how its kind of locked to a key in G1, feels a little more solid that way.

Thanks again, this game is great, currently trying to let my buddy know, this is a serious contender with any great RPG (his currently is Morrowind).
Post Fri Dec 05, 2003 3:28 pm
WeaponX
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Take it from a devote Morrowind fan and Mod builder. Gothic is an experience that shouldn't be missed by anyone that calls themselves and RPG player.

It is one of my all-time favourite games. At times it is charming, funny, serious, touching and shocking. You can really get lost in Gothic and fall in love with its engrossing little world.

Like you, I like to take it slow and let the immersion sink in. The first time I played Gothic 1; I played for 12 hours straight, my GF was watching and she watched for 12 hours straight while I played lol. We were glued to the world, only the nagging urge to pee broke the strangle hold on us

The Passion:-
Nothing like hanging back and smoking some swamp weed with your future friends/enemies or gainig the respect of your peers through hard work and determination. Nothing like getting good at stealing and then stealing from other theives. Nothing like building your confidence while sharpening your sword on the grind-stone before going into the arena. Nothing like watching the spectators cheer for you or your opponent as the fight rages on. Nothing like jumping into the raging river to escape a foe that turned too deadly and being washed away on another adventure. Nothing like teaching that bully a lesson. Nothing like waiting calmly outside your patrons hut for him to wake-up and teach you something new.

No other game has touched me like Gothic has, there are so many that missed it because of the controls, what a shame.
Post Thu Dec 11, 2003 4:45 pm
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

I am saying what most have already said, but IMHO you have to do G1 in order to get the subtle plotlines of G2. Makes the lines between the "bad guys" and "good guys blur a lot more. Just adds to atmosphere. It also helps I think as G1 was easier to level in at first. I don't think I would have enjoyed G1 as much if I had done G2 first. G2 is the next step challenge IMO.
Mark Twain
Post Fri Dec 12, 2003 2:17 am
konny666
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

I tend to disagree with everyone else here, how's that for being unique. I think you should just plunge into G2 right away. It's a far superior game, in almost all aspects. I played Gothic 2 *3 times* from beginning to end (and I plan on playing it 3 times all over again when the add-on comes out), whilst I got bored of Gothic 1 the first time I played it, at around the Chapter 3 point.

Even now, I'd rather play G2 again rather than try to continue with G1... *shrug*
Post Tue Dec 16, 2003 4:57 am
konny666
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

quote:
Originally posted by WeaponX

No other game has touched me like Gothic has, there are so many that missed it because of the controls, what a shame.

What you are referring to, is proof of how "low" the average gamer has sunk. I started gaming back when computers had 64KB of RAM, so I had absolutely no problems with the interface of either G1 or G2. There's nothing wrong with them! I can't believe people would shrug off a game because they can't "click-a-rama".
Post Tue Dec 16, 2003 4:59 am
Kiwi Boy
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by konny666
I can't believe people would shrug off a game because they can't "click-a-rama".

Maybe people don't have the time (or the effort) to learn a new user interface?
Post Tue Dec 16, 2003 5:37 am
konny666
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

What's to learn?

It's not like they're being asked to learn how to use Linux, for chrissakes.

The only legitimate claim I can see is if people have a problem with Gothic's combat style, i.e. action-game-style fighting. Then again, even in supposed RPGs like Diablo you still had to click on the bad guys to kill em (can't play the game with your hands buried under your ass) and as for Morrowind - I never played it, but my roommate did, and I always would hear him SMASHING HIS MOUSE REPEATEDLY during combats, which seems a bit action-game-style to me as well.
Post Tue Dec 16, 2003 6:22 am
Zocky
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

First of all,I have finished G2 about 4 hours ago, I must say it's the best f***ing game I have ever played!

I have played G1 for about 3,4 times,so and since I just finished G2, I can tell you it's more intersting to play G1 first. I will still be a great game to you if you play g2 first, but but it's not as interesting.So, play g1 first (althouth G2 to me is much better then g1) .

I must say I'm happy I bought this game. PB did a great job here.
Post Tue Dec 16, 2003 8:03 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next