SWG Reviews at Warcry and Gamepro
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

SWG Reviews at Warcry and Gamepro

Two reviews of Star Wars: Galaxies to report about: The first one is at <a href="http://swg.warcry.com/scripts/columns/view_section.phtml?site=13&id=47" target="_blank">Warcry</a> and is rather short. The grade SWG receives there is "B". And then there is a review at <a href="http://www.gamepro.com/computer/pc/games/reviews/30053.shtml" target="_blank">Gamepro</a>, with a rating of 5 out of 5. Their summary: <br><blockquote><em>Galaxies had a few server jitters at launch (the game was unplayable for the first couple of days), and there’s still a lot to do yet, since the last stage of Beta wasn’t completely finished when the game was rushed to stores. Still, even with tons of balancing and content missing, the game is tons of fun, and it’s a clear evolution of the genre from an automated creature generator into a more complete social interactive medium. It encourages roleplaying better than EverQuest, it’s more gripping than Dark Age of Camelot, and it’s more casual-gamer friendly than Asheron’s Call 2. Oh yeah—it’s also Star Wars. <br> <br>So, no, the industry isn’t cancelled. But all your free time might be.</em></blockquote>
Post Wed Jul 02, 2003 8:30 pm
Halsy
Village Leader
Village Leader

Could Gamepro be anymore fanboy? Unless the pulled out some secret game they had stashed away that wasn't the beta evryone was playing SWG sucks.
Post Wed Jul 02, 2003 8:34 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

Well, I'll have to agree that the review is too positive... Gamepro have a nasty tendency to grant perfect scores far more often than any industry deserves... That review sounds like they were purposefully avoiding to talk about the things that are not quite right about SWG. Not all is perfect there yet

EDIT: added the word "not" because it was kind of important heh!
Post Wed Jul 02, 2003 8:43 pm

no, they just liked it. a lot.

as do I. i usually have at least two games being played at once. Since SWG got stable on day two, I havent picked up anything else, watched TV or (sadly) read a book along with leaving my poor Gothic guy stranded in his prison world.

many beta testers were bitter because they did not get "x" fuctionality that they "had to have". The game is extremely good. The mechanics are by far the best in the MMOG world and the economy is a wonder.

Judge for yourself. Sure, 4.5 might have been more realistic considering the bugs, but this game deserves the attention it got.
Post Wed Jul 02, 2003 9:15 pm

Loremaster
Village Leader
Village Leader

quote:
Galaxies had a few server jitters at launch (the game was unplayable for the first couple of days),

I just love that understatement....a few jitters when it was unplayable for a couple of days, nice one !

quote:
It encourages roleplaying better than EverQuest, it’s more gripping than Dark Age of Camelot, and it’s more casual-gamer friendly than Asheron’s Call 2

Er no, actually the role-playing server is locked to character creation so it doesn't encourage role-playing at all. More gripping than DAoC???? I'm no fan of DAoC but when it comes to SWG there are plenty of words I would use to describe it, gripping isn't one of them.

There is no more casual-gamer friendly game than AC2 - well it's hardly hardcore-gamer friendly is it?
Post Wed Jul 02, 2003 9:43 pm

okay, some comments just seem odd to me...

no game can force roleplaying. in the MMOG world, you find people with similar styles and you roleplay with them if you want to. What Galaxies does with its smart player-run economy is put you in a role. generally consumer or provider, and 90% of the time a bit of both. the absense of NPC vendors here works, instead of the mess of AC2.

btw, it was unplayable for 1 (one) day. not a couple. i logged six hours ingame day two and didnt crash once. should have day one worked? of course. but SWG gave everyone the day free, so they did their mea culpa. they had a database isssue - it happens.

As far as gripped, well i guess that's taste. i played DAoC for a year, but i felt the treadmill on day one. In SWG, I felt it the first time, just a bit last night, when i was trying to get more scouting exp (harvesting hides and bones off critters). So then I went and did something completely different, I ran some missions with friends. Then I came back and got my exp without feeling the pain. I have enjoyed getting exp for the first time in a MMOG.... more often than not, I dont think at all about it.

I do find the game immersive. The cities are robust and fun to explore. The terrain is exciting. player hourse and resource harvesters are starting to pop up and colonize the desert on Tatoinee. This, to me and my taste, is so much better than EQ, AO, DAoC combined!

Oh and a final BTW -> I wasn't a fanboi til I started playing post-beta. Now I am, and I'm proud of it.
Post Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:20 pm

ThisIsLame

I'm sure GamePro just gives it a great review due to advertising money. I was in the SWG beta and the game is nothing but dull and pointless after a few days. The review was obviously not a review at all, just a message of support.

AC2 is good for causal gamers (terrible for hardcore), because it has a very nice embedded questing system in the gameworld. SWG is just a meaningless task running game.
Post Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:32 pm

why is my server completley full if its dull and boring...??????

and why do so many people want a good product to fall? my day job is in the arts, I see it every hour. its sickening and sad. im sorry you didnt like BETA but the review very much summed up the fun ive been having.... cant you accept that the review likes the game a lot and it might not be about advertising dollars.

but then again, i guess cynical is, and always will be, cool.
Post Wed Jul 02, 2003 11:55 pm

Greymane
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous
why is my server completley full if its dull and boring...??????

Because lots of people really want a good MMO to play and wanted it to be SWG. I feel that way, and I'm trying SWG.. so I'm one of those who make it so full.
I don't think the game was ready for release, and that's assuming that it ever will be, as far as playability. Those aren't bugs we're seeing, those are lack of solid coding decisions that define game play. It's just not a complete game yet, it's maybe 1/3 of a game and people are trying to make do with it. Oh well.
Post Thu Jul 03, 2003 12:19 am

quote:
Because lots of people really want a good MMO to play and wanted it to be SWG. I feel that way, and I'm trying SWG.. so I'm one of those who make it so full.
I don't think the game was ready for release, and that's assuming that it ever will be, as far as playability. Those aren't bugs we're seeing, those are lack of solid coding decisions that define game play. It's just not a complete game yet, it's maybe 1/3 of a game and people are trying to make do with it. Oh well

That I can understand. Thanks for writing something that wasn't filled with such venom.

My two cents is that its 2/3 of a game. The mechanics are there. As Warcry pointed out, it could have used another month. There are too many bugs, and vehicles should have been there day one.

However, DAoC is introducing player housing two years late. Two years! This was in the inital design spec! SWG has it. DAoC still does not have mounts. I'll bet SWG has it in two months. They fixed more bugs this week already than I thought they would, simple ones that took EQ years to fix and DAoC still hasn't fixed them.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that this is why a good review is deserved. Its (IMHO) a huge step forward. And those of us who had realistic expectations and who are willing to let the game grow are having fun.[/quote]
Post Thu Jul 03, 2003 12:47 am

Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous
[I guess what I'm trying to say is that this is why a good review is deserved. Its (IMHO) a huge step forward. And those of us who had realistic expectations and who are willing to let the game grow are having fun.
[/quote]
Yes, perhaps SWG deserves a good review, but maybe not as "positive" as Gamepro's. They completely ignored everything that's not working properly, and there are many things that aren't. Mind you, things might not all be working right, but that doesn't mean that the game is not good. Personally I am having a very good time so far, despite the bugs. But I only have played for about a week too, so it's still early
Post Thu Jul 03, 2003 4:29 pm