Usergroups
Sex in RPG's
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Noon
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

but that is the oposite of what i was talking about. Abuse of sex images just to sell is disgusting of course, but equaly disgusting is the censure and the deformation of the human body.Or the negative way, most of the so called defenders of the moral and good costumes,see and act towards something so natural as one`s body.I find it repulsive that people are raised feeling ashamed of certain body parts etc, etc. If people were educated in a different way i think at least half of the problems some of you were talking would disapear. If you see things like sex and the sexual body parts as a natural thing, not a forbiden thing,a bad thing, people that use this kind of stuff to sell or whatever would be disarmed. "Hey there`s a naked girl in gothic" so what? so what makes it special is the fact that is a forbiden thing. It`s all about preconceptions and wrong education.I think.I was raised seeing things in a more natural way, I like sex or seeing a girl naked as much as the next guy, but i don`t go babling around or run the web looking for a naked patch.
Post Mon Feb 25, 2002 1:51 pm
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

quote:

On 2002-02-24 16:56, Noon wrote:
what i would like to see in a game for instance baldur`s gate or icewind is the possibility of building a house where i could go to rest, defend it etc etc.that could work like a side quest and i think it would get a better feeling of imersion into the world the feeling of truly belonging there.Like taking a bath to relax or just take a walk between quests,gothic was good at this.

omg, this is a great idea!!
I dont know why I never thought of this.
yes you are right about the immersion, nothing makes you feel more into the game than when it feels like you have truly put your psersonal touch to it and its kept permanent.
Imagine if in the beginning of a game you had a grizzled warrior who is looking to do nothing but settle down somewhere with his riches and just live out the rest of his days in peace. Reluctantly he is pulled into one last finale quest. So as the story begins, they could make a cut scene of him walking into a clearing and thinking out loud "Hmmm, this would make for a nice (castle, house, cottage)" and then leave it at that. The quest could start from there. Then maybe along the way, he meets a stone worker, a lumber jack, a groundskeeper, all these people offer their services after certain quests are completed or when enough cash is raised (making the player explore all quests in search for gold). Through his adventures he can come back to them, maybe in 1st chapter the ranger/groundskeeper would clear the land of wild beasts, then the stone worker could come in and laydown an outlining wall for the land and foundation for the house, then later on the lumberjack comes in and supplies wood for flooring, firewood, painting, etc etc. And the location of the house could be in the middle of the map, making it easier for the avatar to drop off paintings, carpets, treasure, all throughout his adventures so that by the end of the game, he could have killed the Big Boss *and* come home to a well furnished estate...The End.
Yea, property in any game (SP/MP) makes for some side fun and keeps you interested in the game for more than one reason
Post Mon Feb 25, 2002 3:18 pm
Nik
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Shrapnel: The idea is quite nice. Something similar was done in Baldur's Gate 2 Throne of Bhaal, there where you had your own plane where you would be safe. You also have something slightly similar in Diablo II, with the stash and all. Just that you cannot customize them so well. Oh, but a game as you described might end up to be a bit too much like The Sims.
Post Mon Feb 25, 2002 4:28 pm
vertic
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Well.... there is talk about that the later patches of DAoC is gonna add houses for sale to guilds and High lvl chars...

Post Mon Feb 25, 2002 5:14 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

quote:

On 2002-02-25 10:28, Nik wrote:
Oh, but a game as you described might end up to be a bit too much like The Sims.

Knight Sims!
Post Mon Feb 25, 2002 5:50 pm
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

quote:

On 2002-02-25 10:28, Nik wrote:
Shrapnel: The idea is quite nice. Something similar was done in Baldur's Gate 2 Throne of Bhaal, there where you had your own plane where you would be safe. You also have something slightly similar in Diablo II, with the stash and all. Just that you cannot customize them so well. Oh, but a game as you described might end up to be a bit too much like The Sims.

Nik, it would just be a side quest. So even if you never even lay down brick #1, you will still have a true RPG, just the house thing would be a nice lil side-quest. Very similar to the Chromanin quest in Gothic. You can still see the entire game if you never do the quest, its would just be there for the die-hard players that wanted to maximize their time while in-game kinda thing, not so much a game based around building a castle hehe
Post Mon Feb 25, 2002 7:37 pm
The Hulk
Avenger, Defender
Avenger, Defender

Quote: Nik, it would just be a side quest. So even if you never even lay down brick #1, you will still have a true RPG, just the house thing would be a nice lil side-quest. Very similar to the Chromanin quest in Gothic. You can still see the entire game if you never do the quest, its would just be there for the die-hard players that wanted to maximize their time while in-game kinda thing, not so much a game based around building a castle hehe

I like this idea. Piranha Bytes, and other game developers out there, are you listening?
Post Mon Feb 25, 2002 9:31 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

quote:

On 2002-02-25 15:31, The Hulk wrote:
I like this idea. Piranha Bytes, and other game developers out there, are you listening?

I'm sure some ambitious game developer is already thinking of it, along with hundreds of other fun ideas that will never be done. :wink:

[ This Message was edited by: Val on 2002-02-25 17:44 ]
Post Mon Feb 25, 2002 11:43 pm
Maggot
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

I sure hope Morrowind will feature this kind of stuff. Daggerfall allowed for a lot of character 'housekeeping', you could own a ship, house, etc.
Post Tue Feb 26, 2002 12:07 am
Nik
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

I suppose so, but did you notice one thing? The simple usage of the word sex in the title made this a FLAMING SUBJECT? I wonder why! Maybe they should use sex in RPG's anyway, I mean... it certainly draws interest as anyone can see here!
Post Tue Feb 26, 2002 8:17 am
Maggot
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

Well, there's heaps of sex in Planescape: Torment. Noone seems to wear much clothing in it, and the women especially not.
Post Tue Feb 26, 2002 11:54 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

However, the women royally chew you out on the inventory screen if you try to remove a piece of strategically placed armor in any manner other than directly replacing it with another. I was simply trying to take a piece off and drag another over, and Annah tore a strip off me. I liked the talking inventories. It was... unique... to Torment.

In any case... I like the tried and true fade to black lovemaking style of computer RPGS and early 20th century movies. I mean really... do they need to spell it out for you? Either you've done anything they're doing yourself, or you've seen it, or you've imagined it, or you're not old enough to have done any of that and have no business seeing it. Why does it need to be recreated on the screen?

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Tue Feb 26, 2002 2:48 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

quote:

On 2002-02-26 08:48, EverythingXen wrote:
Why does it need to be recreated on the screen?

Answer: To make money.
And sometimes, that's the only way to make a bad product sell.
Post Tue Feb 26, 2002 10:15 pm
Nik
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Not necessarily a bad product. ANY product. It's a fact. Tested. Noticed. Known. Reported.

Post Tue Feb 26, 2002 10:47 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

If a game can't sell without mentioning Nudity... they need to either re-evaluate their product, or hire better PR reps.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Thu Feb 28, 2002 12:52 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next