Usergroups
how to reinstall
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - Troubleshooting

Author Thread
stcardgeek
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

My first install got hosed, so I reinstalled but it doesn't work, it now bring us a screen asking me to modify remove or repair (or some such thing), I thought perhaps i could get it to reinstall using the Modify option, but it was installing things into the WINNT (i use 2000) folder and that didn't seem right, like it wasn't installing things into it's own folder as it should?? How can I clean it all off so I can install anew?
Post Tue Jan 29, 2002 5:19 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

If uninstallation doesnt funciton properly you must follow this steps:
- delete folder with game
- use some program for cleaning registry or delete Gothic keys manualy from registry...manual editing of registry is not hard for intermediate PC user, but for beginner it can be very dangerous

After you delete folder and clean registry, there is nearly certainty that when you run installation it will allow you to make fresh install.

P. S.
- make your self sure that you removed all Gothic files (perhaps you installed it in more folders)
- make your self sure that you deleted all registry associated with Gothic (every program ussually writes keys into HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software folders, but this names can be different on different system).

[ This Message was edited by: Danicek on 2002-01-29 12:37 ]
Post Tue Jan 29, 2002 6:34 pm

And i'd like to add to that...
There were several posts about uninstall failure. The solution above could actually cure it, but there's no need to delete all entries of "gothic" in the registry. You only need to do it 3 times. One key is in the [HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwarePyranha...] the other two are in [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwarePyranha...] and [[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionUninstall].
You'll have to search the last entry in Uninstall for "Gothic", but before removing it look at the path to uninstaller program. Delete that directory as well.
Now, all the problems should be solved
You can reinstall the game now.

Note: To access the registry in winsuxx 9x run "regedit.exe" from start menu.
Post Wed Jan 30, 2002 10:02 pm

Oblivion Knight
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I had this same problem on one of my computers, and not really wanting to play with the registry I was wondering if an upgrade of windows would clear this from the registry and allow me to install the game.
Post Tue Feb 05, 2002 12:05 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

If you upgrade Windows (it mean install new one over old one), it will not clear registry. You must reinstall (make fresh reinstall). It means uninstall Windows completly (best is also format disk - good alternative is to make system partition, so you can format only this partition) and install new one (or same Windows).
Post Tue Feb 05, 2002 8:50 am