Usergroups
what r u playing right NOW?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
cptmaxon
High Emperor
High Emperor

the Babylon project - based on Freespace 2 engine this games rock, I mean really you can play the earth minabri war, and also there's alot of other campaigns
Post Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:41 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

THe only CRPG I'm replaying right now is Elder Scrolls: Arena.

Other games I'm playing at the moment: Unreal Championship 2 and Quake 4.
As for Quake 4... I actually like it so far. It's neither fresh nor new, but I didn't expect it to be either. In my opinion, the game succeeds well as a sequel to Q2. It manages to create the same atmosphere its predecessor did. I had wished for a choice of models in single player mode, but that's just a minor gripe.
Doom 3, on the other hand... well... I was sorely disappointed with the game. As a game it was nice. Not spectacular (beautiful zombies alone don't make a great game), but nice. But it didn't feel like Doom at all; Doom 1 and 2 (and Final Doom etc.) were colorful and weird which gave them a special note... Doom 3 was just dark and jumpy. Decent game in its own right, just not very doom-y. Naturally I was afraid Q4 would disappoint me as well, but as I said, it captures the Q2 atmosphere which is fine with me.
For me, Q1 was a mixed bag... innovative approach, but the jumbled graphics and utter lack of design cohesion made it difficult to enjoy in single player mode. Q3 was not a game but a tech demo; I don't like multiplayer-focused games if the single player mode is lacking, and that of Q3 was a joke.
Post Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:12 am
enodenroH
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by dteowner
For the moment, Morrowind. The utter lack of direction that we're celebrating in this game is killing me. I'm mucking around, doing a quest here, stomping thru the woods there, talking to anyone with a name, but I'm not DOING anything. I truly love this game, but I'm losing the urge to play it.

I tracked down a used copy of Gothic at EB for $19.99. It's sitting on my desk, calling my name...

You should stop playing Morrowind and play Gothic. It's a hell of less waste of time. I'm telling you by experience.

I finished Morrowind, Gothic and Gothic 2 this year. In terms of immersiveness and fun, Gothic is, from my point of view, the almighty ruler of FPS RPG out there right now.

Seriously, stop playing Morrowind and jump into the Colony. You won't regret it.

Nuff said... In case you don't give a damn about what I'm sayin'...
Post Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:47 am
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Age of Empires III
Dragonshard
Codename Panzer:Phase One

all rts and no rpg makes sam a dull tiger all rts and no rpg makes sam a dull tiger all rts and no rpg makes sam a dull tiger all rts and no rpg makes sam a dull tiger all rts and no rpg makes sam a dull tiger all rts and no rpg makes sam a dull tiger all rts and no rpg makes sam a dull tiger all rts and no rpg makes sam a dull tiger all rts and no rpg makes sam a dull tiger all rts and no rpg makes sam a dull tiger all rts and no rpg makes sam a dull tiger ='.'=

*blinks several times*

Anyway...
I didnt want to join the legion of people bashing Age of Empires 3. Almost looked to me at first like a bunch of ne'er do wells trying to make themselves look smart by nit-picking and trashing some excellent game. You know, Ensemble, Age games, one of the godfathers of the genre. How bad can it be?

Well, youd be suprised. While I wont call Age III a bad game, it's just not the game it should be. With it's lineage, you'd expect such basic RTS standards such as "stand ground" stance and unit formations, RTS innovations that Ensemble pioneered. Aside from the missing stances and formation problem, there's only groups of units represented on your interface, instead of the individual soldiers and their respective lifebars. Thus, just like Dungeon Keeper 2, you cannot pick injured units from a group of others on your interface, making micro pretty tough, as you hunt down the injured ones in the jumble of knees and elbows. C'mon guys, its 2005.

And healing? forget auto-casting priests bub.
Want to garrison units in towers? outta luck, tossed that out.

Want a "hero" unit? Ok, but we're gonna make him literally immortal. He can be knocked out, but if you get some units to help him back on his feet. he'll recover. If not, he'll just kinda lay there in the fetal position, carrying on about how horrible his life is. Im not joking. Worse yet, the AI is prone to send their hero on a kamikaze mission into your base, which results in the enemy hero laying in the middle of your base, moaning "nobody knows the trouble i see.." Making heros immortal is just stupid, I absolutely hate it. Part of the fun is taking out the enemy heros, and the only way to get this whining loser out of the middle of my base would be to destroy my base around him practically.

And dont get me started about the basic lack of hotkeys for combat commands, because I'll start ranting and raving something like "WHO IN THIS DAY AND AGE PUTS OUT AN RTS WITHOUT AN OPTION TO DEFINE THE KEYS AS YOU LIKE???

*clears throat*

Sorry bout that, pet peeve of mine. Anyway, for being a colonial type of war game, youd expect that theyd throw in some flag-waving standard bearers, drummers, you know, all that jazz. I mean, even a lo-fi "early American" RTS like American Conquest had those. And the indians, for crissake, they arent even playable factions. Theyre like mercenaries, its just mind-blowing the potential that was wasted on this game.

And the "Home City" thing, please... I'm sorry, I just dont even care to use it. It's just, I dunno, totally friggen annoying. A collectible card game angle on an RTS? Look, I dont need a hand-out, I dont want a hand-out from some mythical entity somewhere. I'll do just fine with the resources my minions gather and tech they develop, and soldiers they become, but thanks for the thought Home City.

Speaking of resources, whats the deal with no drop-off points anymore? Besides being totally unrealistic, wiping out an enemy drop off point for resources is a fun, legitimate, albeit dastardly game tactic. Now the resources just magically enter your mission central, and Im left chasing villagers all over the map. Unreal

And the total lack of any conventional options on skirmish/mulitplayer mode, even down to the size of the map is an unpleasant suprise.

But, on the good side, now the maps are littered with "creeps" to run around and clobber for experience and loot early game. The game is a marvel to look at too, but these days, thats like saying a movie has good effects. It better, especially when they threw so much else out the window.

Yeah, its a long-winded rant, but I am truly amazed by what a backward step AOE3 is. Im not the kind of gamer that is going to have a fit about the sequel not bringing tons of new stuff to the table, but I do expect that certain basic combat control standards and convention is at least upheld. At this point, I'm having more fun playin little old underrated Dragonshard, and the criminally underrated Codename Panzer: Phase One.

I guess we can just hope for a nice patch ='.'=
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:19 am
Sly Boots
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Just starting Morrowind: Game of the Year Edition. Played part of the original Morrowind a couple years ago, but didn't have the time to finish it. Time to start over! Hopefully will have it done by the time Oblivion comes out ...
- Spinal Tap's Stonehenge
Post Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:34 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Well, I just got Gothic 2 Gold Edition in the mail....
Post Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:47 pm
evil_lemming
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Since I never finished it I'm playing Anachronox
Post Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:11 pm
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

Fallout! Yes, I'm only just playing it fully for the first time. I have had several aborted attempts in the past, but I've always really wanted to take a totally non-violent character through the game, and every time I've tried I've been really annoyed by the tedious and sometimes unavoidable critter battles, and this has eventually put me off the game every time.

This time, I'm conducting two play-throughs at the same time - one with a diplomatic, occasionally sneaky and always cowardly character, and one with a thoroughly despicable violent thug. And I'm having great fun with both. I'm also finding that I'm not afraid to roleplay my characters appropriately and risk closing off avenues, because between the two characters I'm getting to see two very different sides of the game. Normally I'd worry about missing out on too much exp by avoiding combat, and in most CRPGs I'd reload my last save if a surly conversation option led to needless violence - but each character seems to be covering the parts of the game the other misses out on, so I don't mind playing an "imperfect" game.
Post Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:33 am
Sly Boots
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Oooh, Anachronox ... Best computer RPG ever.
- Spinal Tap's Stonehenge
Post Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:05 am
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

messing around with the "Space Hack" demo atm

sort of fun space-themed action rpg, with full 360 rotate. runs good, looks good, havin' more fun with it than i did that dismal "Harbinger" title, thats for sure.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/spacehack/index.html?q=SPACE%20HACK

Also, been playing "Gun" lately. I know it's getting alot of attention, but I think its sorta worth the hype. Riding around on horseback shooting things and having firefights is just too cool. The claims Ive heard of "Grand Theft Auto Western" however, I dont think are accurate. The missions arent as creative, and there really arent that many of them. But as an aside, you can mine gold, hunt, even scalp ne'er do wells for cash
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:50 am
Kendrik
Thin Blue Line
Thin Blue Line

Fallout Tactics - not as good as fallout but cool to set up ambushes in CTB mode. Story is OK and it's making me want to play Fallout and Fallout 2 again. (Oh and I keep intending to install GTA: San Andreas as well)
~~Champion of the (Unofficial) RPGdot Text Signature Contest 2002~~
Post Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:10 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

quote:
Originally posted by piln
This time, I'm conducting two play-throughs at the same time - one with a diplomatic, occasionally sneaky and always cowardly character, and one with a thoroughly despicable violent thug. And I'm having great fun with both. I'm also finding that I'm not afraid to roleplay my characters appropriately and risk closing off avenues, because between the two characters I'm getting to see two very different sides of the game. Normally I'd worry about missing out on too much exp by avoiding combat, and in most CRPGs I'd reload my last save if a surly conversation option led to needless violence - but each character seems to be covering the parts of the game the other misses out on, so I don't mind playing an "imperfect" game.
This is a really good idea, particularly for "complete-ists" like me that can't stand missing out on things. Thanks for the plan, piln!

NP:
Civ4
Dungeon Siege 2 demo
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Sun Dec 18, 2005 3:08 am
Arma
Mysterious Lady
Mysterious Lady

Fire Emblem: Fūin no Tsurugi (Sword of Seals), Game Boy Advance (2002)
Thank heavens for fan translations and emulation!
Post Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:03 am
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Delta Force: Black Hawk Down

Someone at work (who isnt really a gamer) has been just praising this game so much, so I thought Id try it out demo-style. Its heaven and hell, weird game.
The AI is literally the stupidest Ive ever seen. From the sitting duck rooms of enemies, to your idiot fireteam that fight alongside you, this is the type of AI that bursts in a room and either fires at the wall or another team member. Meanwhile, the enemies in the raided room are all running around like the keystone cops, bumbling into each other and changing stance from stand/crouch repeatedly while firing into the wall. It's comical as hell. I end up just finally putting them ouuta their misery by chucking a grenade into the middle of the whole mess

That's the hell part. The heaven part, however is the beauty of this game in replicating Mogadishu, and similar run-down third-world type environ. Dust kicks up, explosions are great, everything looks rusty and weatherbeaten, its a good looking and immersive title from a graphics standpoint.
Secondly, the scripted missions Ive been on where there is no AI necessary are really fun. For instance, the first mission is taking out rpg soldiers below with an assault rifle out the side of the helicopter as your pilot circles around the area, then is trying to land it. Then at certain points they just throw tons of enemies at you, its almost reminiscent of Serious Sam with somalis.

The "tactical" side with the fireteam and all is nil (thankfully you can just park them), and it's pretty much a turkey-shoot when it comes to enemies who forgot their script at home. Its sorta fun, but I wouldnt pay more than ten bucks for it.
Post Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:38 am
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

So what's everyone playing??

I just got done with a couple-hour session of a bargain binner, "Land of the Dead: Road to Fiddler's Green". I know, terrible reviews, why do I bother? Because this is the game aspiring zombie-slayers have been waiting for years for. Sure, playing it legit would probably suck, bur flip on the all weapons/all ammo cheats and spend hours blowing away hordes of undead. It is quite satisfying in a way, blowing them up, sniping them, whatever. It's hideous, it's gross, it's scary at times, and it's fun! Good bargain bin shooter for people who enjoy games like Postal II, where just mayhem is the order of the day.

Battle for Middle Earth I
- Im actually sorta disappointed in this one. Unbelievable looking? yes.
But the unit controls for combat are sorta lacking, and the cardinal sin: you cannot reconfigure hotkeys! What year is this? Come on, especially an RTS game, who in their right mind makes the hotkeys unconfigurable? There's simple innovations in Dragonshard that arent in a high profile title such as this, and I dont get why not. Such as when theres a mass of units duking it out, you hit the "/" key and all your units highlight green, the enemy highlights red. This would help immensely in this game, as all the brown units all slugging it out in a mass seem to glob together. Argh!

Oblivion, of course, but Ive been spending less and less time as i try and play other games that are collecting dust here.
Post Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:33 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38  Next