View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
hwfanatic
Average Fanatic
Average Fanatic

quote:
Originally posted by Irf
Well, if you wanna play as a mage later, i'd reccomend you focus on dexterity and bow skills for now, but also steadily increase your mana.

I have to disagree. As I mentioned quite so often before, if you want to become a mage later on in the game, there is no need to waste your learn points on dexterity. Train your sword skills to an enviable level, and your strength, too; but save a couple of dozens learn points, so you could reach level3 magic quickly, once you get the opportunity, that is.
A level4 mage can easily parry an experienced marksman!
Post Tue Mar 25, 2003 11:01 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

or learn much mana
Post Wed Mar 26, 2003 5:11 pm
Iron Man
Dazed and Confused
Dazed and Confused

when i was a mage, i only "learnt" 10 (mabye 15) points of mana, the rings and amulets are very useful, and when you get to choose a reward choose the mana potions

This box secretly turns into a picture and laughs at YOU personally when you're not looking.
Post Wed Mar 26, 2003 8:00 pm
SilkenKidden
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

quote:
Originally posted by HWFanatiC
quote:
Originally posted by Irf
Well, if you wanna play as a mage later, i'd reccomend you focus on dexterity and bow skills for now, but also steadily increase your mana.

I have to disagree. As I mentioned quite so often before, if you want to become a mage later on in the game, there is no need to waste your learn points on dexterity. Train your sword skills to an enviable level, and your strength, too; but save a couple of dozens learn points, so you could reach level3 magic quickly, once you get the opportunity, that is.
A level4 mage can easily parry an experienced marksman!

Now I'm wondering which way to go again. How much is an "enviable" level? Should I do 1-handed one level or two? Or two-handed? Or strength, which I think I need for swords also.

If I do that, when do I start on the bow skills? For that I need dex and the bow skill itself.

I want to end up a powerful mage with good bow abilities, but I don't want to die every other round while I'm getting there.

I did a trial with bow. Saved game, bought bow, and tried shooting the creatures near the bow teacher (not scavengers). I never connected with the arrow. My dex is too low and I have no bow skill at all. How much dex and/or bow skill do I need to have a reasonable chance of hitting something with the bow? I restored the game and got my money back:)

Thanks, everyone, for your help and advice.
Post Wed Mar 26, 2003 10:58 pm
Irf
High Emperor
High Emperor

Creatures near bow teacher? Hope your not talking about the Snappers near Cavalorn's hut! There's no way you could fight them at this stage! try going for something you should be able to kill...like scavengers, molerats, etc take them on 1 at a time, you should make it. Just focus on dexterity till you can kill the common animals, like scavengers, foxes and bloodflies. Eventually start gaining mana for when you become a mage. i think having about 40 mana by the end of chapter 2 would be a good idea
Post Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:13 pm
SilkenKidden
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

quote:
Originally posted by Irf
Creatures near bow teacher? Hope your not talking about the Snappers near Cavalorn's hut! There's no way you could fight them at this stage! try going for something you should be able to kill...like scavengers, molerats, etc take them on 1 at a time, you should make it. Just focus on dexterity till you can kill the common animals, like scavengers, foxes and bloodflies. Eventually start gaining mana for when you become a mage. i think having about 40 mana by the end of chapter 2 would be a good idea

Yes, it was the snapper and I was snapper meat

I'll follow your advice, up the dex, and get a bow. Thanks.
Post Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:19 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

I wouldnīt invest in sword talents. Strength directly adds to your damage.
As a mage you need more than 200 skillpoints for the 6 magic circles, so make sure you donīt waste points.
Post Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:23 pm
hwfanatic
Average Fanatic
Average Fanatic

quote:
Originally posted by SilkenKidden
Now I'm wondering which way to go again. How much is an "enviable" level? Should I do 1-handed one level or two? Or two-handed? Or strength, which I think I need for swords also.

If I do that, when do I start on the bow skills? For that I need dex and the bow skill itself.

I want to end up a powerful mage with good bow abilities, but I don't want to die every other round while I'm getting there.

I did a trial with bow. Saved game, bought bow, and tried shooting the creatures near the bow teacher (not scavengers). I never connected with the arrow. My dex is too low and I have no bow skill at all. How much dex and/or bow skill do I need to have a reasonable chance of hitting something with the bow? I restored the game and got my money back:)

Let me just check if I got it right... You want to become a mage, right? But, why would you want to use a bow as well, then? There is a problem with multiclassing in every game, in Gothic as well: when you want it all, you can have it at mediocre. Say you choose between magic and marksmanship (the dilema between 1handers and 2handers is unjustified, since some enemies, later on, cannot be defeated with limited damage of 1h weapons), you either max your dex and ranged skills, or you settle with short bow (spoiler: or better if you take the dex potion from the castle) for a while, max your 1hander skills, and save your learn points for the moment. When you get the ability to train magic, go straight to level3, and have at least 25 mana.
Post Thu Mar 27, 2003 1:09 pm
DzD
Unknown
Unknown

When I played my first game I had no problem at all. First I maxed out my strength, then I learned 1h and 2h. When I was a mighty warrior and needed to put my skill points somewhere else, so I chose the path of the magic. I learned sixth circle and maxed out my mana...

At this point I was a fully developed mage and a fighter. I had range spells and when they came near, if they came near, I slaughtered them all with my sword.

So my point is that I think archery was pretty useless since I could have spells instead of a bow.
His latest, a hit
Cuz the Little One's a mystery to me

Written by - dteowner
Post Thu Mar 27, 2003 1:22 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

quote:
Originally posted by DzD
When I played my first game I had no problem at all. First I maxed out my strength, then I learned 1h and 2h. When I was a mighty warrior and needed to put my skill points somewhere else, so I chose the path of the magic. I learned sixth circle and maxed out my mana...

At this point I was a fully developed mage and a fighter. I had range spells and when they came near, if they came near, I slaughtered them all with my sword.

So my point is that I think archery was pretty useless since I could have spells instead of a bow.

Sounds like a good strategy to me!
Post Thu Mar 27, 2003 1:24 pm
DzD
Unknown
Unknown

quote:
Originally posted by Lintra
quote:
Originally posted by DzD

Sounds like a good strategy to me!
Well thank you!

His latest, a hit
Cuz the Little One's a mystery to me

Written by - dteowner
Post Thu Mar 27, 2003 1:34 pm
Korzen
Forsaken
Forsaken

Spoiler Question!!

What happens when you are a fire mage and all the mages get killed ( after the thing with the NC mine ) are you still a fire mage, or can you join the water mages?
Post Thu Mar 27, 2003 2:30 pm
hwfanatic
Average Fanatic
Average Fanatic

quote:
Originally posted by DzD

That was exactly my point. Either you are a mage or you are an archer. That's the way it goes. You can always play the game again to get another feeling with another class/guild...
Post Thu Mar 27, 2003 3:15 pm
Irf
High Emperor
High Emperor

Guys! remember you cant START as a mage! And if you wanna kill some beasts in chapter 1, you need to have a bit more dex or strength to do it!

Korzen: SPOILER: yes, you join water mages
Post Thu Mar 27, 2003 4:45 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

umm imo u couldent join the fire mages but hell i never checked it out
Post Thu Mar 27, 2003 5:11 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next