Need help with battles
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 Spoilers

Author Thread
Malevolent
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Need help with battles

Anyone who has the game wanna explain to me how the fighting system works? I keep getting my ass kicked because I have no idea what I'm doing and there is no goddamn tutorial for fighting.

I just spam left click and strafe around sometimes, and then some hits from the enemy do minimal damage while others take over half my health in one hit.

On top of that I don't understand how the parrying system works. What is the proper method for blocking incoming attacks, I sure as hell can't figure it out.

What is the best strategy for fighting enemies? I need some help here guys :\
Post Tue Jun 17, 2003 1:50 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Hey, you´re the first one who finds the easy combat setup too hard.
So far nobody has written a tutorial. While you´re waiting for it you could try the Gothic 1 controls. They´re harder, slower and more powerful. A whole chapter about combat strategy can be found in JemyM´s FAQ on GothicDot. Read the few pages and remember that Ctrl and the left mouse button have the same effect.
Post Tue Jun 17, 2003 1:58 am
Malevolent
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

:(

I ment an in-game tutorial for the basics of fighting. I really don't see how anyone could consider this combat system easy... compared to any other game I've played that is similar to gothic 2 this is by far the worst. I'm hoping I only think that because I don't fully grasp it yet though.

I guess my biggest problem is I am like level 3 and get my ass handed to me by 3 little goblins that I feel like I should be able to slaughter by now. The combat system goes all out of wack when there are multiple targets moving around it keeps changing targets and I don't know how to properly block incoming attacks or anything so even for the easiest of enemies I need to find somewhere to sleep after every single fight.
Post Tue Jun 17, 2003 3:06 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Don´t worry, it will grow on you.
Only human and human-like enemies can be blocked. Don´t ask me if goblins belong into this category. I don´t think a level 3 character should be able to beat a bunch of goblins. They are surprisingly dangerous if you allow them to surround you. Maybe you have some magic scrolls to damage them from a distance?
The only strategy you can do against them is lock on one of them and kill him, then immediately change position to escape their attacks.
Do you have an armour? If not you should be very careful.

Since you don´t seem to like this combat scheme I still suggest you try the other one. Can it be any worse? Activate the Gothic 1 controls in the options and read the tutorial I mentioned above. You an always go back.
In that setup the _pressed_ LMB locks on the focussed target. Then A/D swing l/r, w attacks with a step forward and s blocks. You can combine a,w,d to combo attacks. Required timing: start the next action exactly when the last one is about to end. A simple well-timed l,r,l,r,... is good enough for many opponents.
Post Tue Jun 17, 2003 3:26 am
Malevolent
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

armor

I have farmer clothes, I can't find enough money to buy the leather ones at that farm house.
Post Tue Jun 17, 2003 3:38 am
Malevolent
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Controls

I just checked my options and my controls had defaulted to the gothic 1 controls instead of the new controls. So I've been using the ones you just told me to try out since the beginning heh...

I'm gonna try it with the gothic 2 controls now, I hope I like them better.
Post Tue Jun 17, 2003 3:50 am
ZhaoZilong
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Alright, so this thread is 2 years old, but its incredibly relevant to my problem.

Ive played - and beaten - Gothic 1, and I understand that the character is pretty darn weak at the beginning of the game (strong enough to take down solo goblins, young wolves, and bloodflies), but Im having a lot of trouble eliminating the two bandits in the cave near Lobarts Farm. Even with Gothic 1 controls, the parrying system is a littel different. I suppose the quest isn't entirely mandatory to get the clothes, but the experience would be nice... and I could probably use the combat practice.

Right now, I have the rusty sword from the young rat cave near lester, and whatever non-existant armor you start the game off with, so its nothing spectacular equipment wise, but I wouldn't expect a battle this near the beginning to be so... one-sided I guess.
Post Thu Nov 24, 2005 7:42 am
Hindukönig
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

Try a fireball-spell or the like. You should find some scrolls behind Xardas' tower and (I'm not sure) behind the iron bars in the same tower.
Post Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:09 am
Uriziel
Grand Mage
Grand Mage

ZhaoZilong, clearing out the cave is not a requirement right now. just get your butt to Lobart's and do the quests there and get into town so you can level up without bleeding like a waterfall. You can come back and clear them when you are stronger.

Did you find the bow and arrows next to the pond where you met the first goblin?

I never bother to activate the bandit, nor clear out the others when I first start a game, Just stay to the left and he never notices you. But if you want to take out the bandit stand near the path, just wait for him to come in then block and parry. It takes time but you can take out an orc using a wet noodle if you time your attack and block properly....and you'll not bleed a drop.

The trick is to always have them coming at you.....have some separation and watch as they come in. When they raise their sword, block then parry a hit and back up or strafe. Then they have to come at you again.....rinse and repeat. If you stand close....you WILL bleed heavily.

Peter: I'll tell you what it's not for, son. And when I do, you'll understand why I can never go back to Sea World.
Post Thu Nov 24, 2005 2:06 pm
ZhaoZilong
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thanks for the tips. I didn't find the bow and arrows beside the lake the first time, but I found them now . Interesting that I explored enough to spot the rusty sword in the cave near lester, but not enough to find those.
The bandit on the trail has been beaten up gothic-style already. Its Brago and his buddy in the cave that cause me problems. I suppose I'll have to come back later for them, although the 10 gold discount on clothing would have been nice.

[EDIT] I switched to the new controls. They'll take some time to work out, but I like them a lot better than Gothic 1 controls (I can move AND fight! Our nameless hero is most masterful!). Brago and his henchman are trounced. It took a few tries (about 15...) but Im a lot more used to the new system now. It was a small victory, but definitely worth it. If anyone has a keyboard setup they'd like to share.. I'd love to hear about it. I just stuck with the default one, but I have a feeling there is probably a better one out there.
Post Thu Nov 24, 2005 2:32 pm
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

In the end you don't want anything else.
Post Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:12 pm