How many discs?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Arx Fatalis

Author Thread
MC_Renzy
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

How many discs?

How many discs is Arx Fatalis? I think I read somehwere that it was only 1 cd. If this is indeed true, then it must be a short game. Also, I heard that this game is like Morrowind, which I so very much hated. Is this true? I was hoping for it to be more like Gothic or stonekeep.
Post Tue Mar 23, 2004 12:52 pm
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

It is only one cd. I would say average 60 hrs game play if you are really good, and 80 if you like to experiment and explore. The best is it has high replay valuen and the use of items in game depend on your character build decisions. So if you want to use theif items, you have to build your character to use what will be there later in game. Same for fighter and mage. It is NOT like Morrowwind at all. The graphics may be comparable, but that is it. This is very interactive world and moves fast. It has one big drawback and that is the lack of ingame direction for what to do or where to go next. I don't know of anyone who has finished the game without using the walkthrough, which to me is more like what your journal should have been. I would compare this to gothic for interactive world, just smaller. The thing is you have to travel in a cave system the whole time. So you do a lot of back and forth at first, but then a new travel system becomes available later to make these trips guick. If you liked gothic you will like this I think. Hope this helps. Oh and if you do get it be sure to install the patch right away.
Mark Twain
Post Tue Mar 23, 2004 6:40 pm
tygorn
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I know this isn't the main point of your post but I must comment on Morrowind. I really liked Morrowind too but it sometimes lacked the dark atmosphere of ARX which I also enjoyed. Morrowind seems much larger in scale though and there are so many places to explore that have nothing to do with the main quests. The graphics are comparative in many ways though the Morrowind engine does such a great job in outside environments. Trees, bushes, plants, water, haze, mountains and the seemless transition between environments works well too. Arx has more character inside a lot of the time and more variety inside though the game seemed more linear and rigid to me. I played through Morrowind 2 or 3 times but I'm not sure how I would play ARX differently if I played it again. I think it took some of the fun out of ARX because I had to use the walkthroughs so much to complete. It felt like cheating somewhat. Both are good games though. It was a lot of fun playing with the Morrowind editor after I completed the game. Is there an editor for ARX?
Post Tue Mar 23, 2004 10:41 pm
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

The walkthrough part is the one drawback to this game, due to lack of ingame direction. But there are so many things not included in the walkthrough that I didn't really feel like I was cheating. Besides I would save, clear or walk through an area, then read the walkthrough to be sure I didn't miss something or do something wrong. I played the game about 9 times and each time I altered my character and used different spells and equipement to get stuff done. I also kept finding new items hidden in the game, and new spells to use. So I never felt bored with it until that last time. We all have our own likes and dislikes, but this was a like for me. I loved the majic system. There is nothing else like it that I have seen so far.
Mark Twain
Post Wed Mar 24, 2004 1:26 am
tygorn
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I'm sure I have missed much in the game since I only went through it once. I have to admit I never got the hang of the magic system. It really drove me nuts but I use a trackball and that may have been part of the problem:) I like the dark atmosphere and the story is interesting.
Post Wed Mar 24, 2004 4:55 am
MC_Renzy
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

quote:
Originally posted by tygorn
I know this isn't the main point of your post but I must comment on Morrowind. I really liked Morrowind too but it sometimes lacked the dark atmosphere of ARX which I also enjoyed.

If you would have read my message properly you would have clearly seen that I didn't like Morrowind. I found it to be the most boring game I ever experienced. It is also way too time consuming. As for Arx, just got it and so far I am really enjoying it. Just wish it had better written dialogue and better voice acting. Aside from this, I think I am really going to enjoy this game. Just one thing I am curious about, at the beginning of the game it states that the dwarves built the tunnels underground. Does this mean I shall encounter dwarves on my journey? For some reason, I've always had a thing for dwarves and the only game that I've played that had them was Stonekeep, which was truly an amazing game. I know there are others like baldurs gate, but theres no voice overs in those games and I hate the isometric-perspective. Anyways, are dwarves in this game? What about elves, dragons, orcs, wizards? Also, is there anyway that you can examine your inventory items? It only gives me a vague description when I highlight an item.
Post Wed Mar 24, 2004 7:39 am
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

As for inventory, name of item is all you will get. You have to learn what it can do as you gain object knowledge. The higher that is the more it discription gives you, such as how much damage, can it be enchanted, etc. As for other stuff, I think I will put it in a spoiler, but there are going to be creatures along the way that you find in other games, and several you have never seen before.

Spoiler:
There are no dwarves, but there are trolls, goblins, snake ladies, rat men, and an assortment of dogs, rats, chickens, etc for you to kill and eat.

@tygorn, I am sure the if you had used regular mouse it would have been so much better. You have to draw the symbols just right and that must have been a little harder to control with a trackball.
Mark Twain
Post Wed Mar 24, 2004 1:29 pm
MC_Renzy
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

So you say that there are no dwarves. If thats the case, then how come the walkthrough for the game states that there are but very few due to some accident that occured? Did you even complete the game? Did you do all side quests?
Post Wed Mar 24, 2004 8:47 pm
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

I played through 9 times. The only dwarf you will find is in pieces. No interaction, and the game will tell you why when you get to that part. I did all quests.
Mark Twain
Post Wed Mar 24, 2004 11:34 pm
tygorn
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I understood your message I just didn't phrase my reply correctly. I meant to say I like both Morrowind and ARX. I'm sorry you didn't like Morrowind. I didn't like everything about it either but the fact that it is so large and had so much to learn was a plus for me. For me it has great replay value because of it. I hope you enjoy ARX. It's a fun game as well.
Post Thu Mar 25, 2004 3:07 am
MC_Renzy
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

So far I am enjoying it greatly. It's like a mix of Sonekeep and Thief which are among my favorite games of all time.
Post Thu Mar 25, 2004 8:08 am