NWN: Pirates of the Sword Coast Premium Module - Review @ Ga
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Kristophe
Obi-Wan Kermobi
Obi-Wan Kermobi

NWN: Pirates of the Sword Coast Premium Module - Review @ Ga

GameBanshee's Steven Carter was not overly impressed with the latest of the BioWare premium modules for Neverwinter Nights, Pirates of the Sword Coast, as his <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/reviews/software/potsc.php" target="_blank">review</a> clearly indicates...
<br>
<br><blockquote><em>All of that sounds great, and so you might be wondering why I’m giving the module a below-average score. The reason is that despite all of the work that obviously went into it, I didn’t find it to be all that much fun to play. The conversations are lifeless, the humor often falls flat, and there’s almost no balance to the combat (what little there is). After a very tough initial battle, my fighter/thief cruised through everything else, and I never had to use a potion after the first act.
<br>
<br>And so, despite there being a lot of re-playability built into the module, I pretty much have no desire to spend another ten hours slogging through it to see what changes. Kingmaker is still the best of the premium modules, and it’s the only one I’d recommend to all fans of Neverwinter Nights. Pirates of the Sword Coast is more of an example of what cool things you can do with the Aurora toolkit, and I think it’ll appeal more to fans of the toolkit than to fans of the game. </em></blockquote>
<br>
<br>Steven gave PotSC an overall rating of 7.1 out of 10!!
Post Sat Aug 06, 2005 2:06 pm
Lucky Day

Jay Wataniuk was nice enough to give me a copy of PotSC.

As a major user of the toolset I couldn't agree more that it gave me a lot of ideas and I can't wait for the patches that bring this content to the game.

The module itself is slow to start but it has some funny stuff. Its quite quirky at times. Yes, its full of pirate cliches but it does them well, especially with the bigtwist near the end.

I ddin't care for the combat, I thought it could do without it for the most part.

--

I ahven't bought any other Premium Modules to compare. But what the biggest disappointment is is that HeX coda never made it as a Premium Module and therefore won't get the attention it deserves outside the NWN community.

In fact, I wished I hadn't played HeX coda before I played PotSC. Its a hard act to follow.
Post Sat Aug 06, 2005 2:11 pm