Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Wheres the dang shields?(Or: Whats the point of 1-H weapons)
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

Wheres the dang shields?(Or: Whats the point of 1-H weapons)

Y'know, I let it slide in G1 but come on now...
Why didnt they include shields in G2
While 2H weapons pack a nasty punch, you mess up that combo and your entire torso is left wide open for a long time (combat wise) plus they are slow and cumbersome.
Isnt anyone else wondering this?
And its not like they didnt have the technology to make shields I see them hanging on walls all over
Post Fri Jun 27, 2003 7:31 pm
Hexy
High Emperor
High Emperor

Because Gothic 2 is the best game ever?

Seriously, I suppose it would be hard to incorporate that into their masterful combat system in a good way (more key-combos).
Post Fri Jun 27, 2003 7:35 pm
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

what do you mean? All they'd have to do create the shield and have it pasted to his left arm like how the range weap is pasted to his back...
instead of a block with a one hand sword, just have the shield block, thats all...not looking for a boomerang shield, or a spiked shield for combat and mountain climbing. maybe in 3

1-H weap +shield should = moderate, fast attacks and massive + to AC
and their should be a 10lp cost just to LEARN 2-h (ie- cost 15 lp just to get 5% skill) but the damage would be insane and defense would be, say, -5
Post Fri Jun 27, 2003 7:52 pm
Hexy
High Emperor
High Emperor

Well, I suppose so.
Or you could just have the shield animated on him, for looks, and extra armor. Either way, I agree.
Post Fri Jun 27, 2003 8:04 pm
DJ Yahari
Village Leader
Village Leader

Gothic isn't focused around armor... It's a roleplaying game, and therefore it's focused around roleplaying. There is no reason to add shields to the game, since the whole armor system works prefectly. Shields would make the whole thing more complicated.... What do you want shields for? Higher protection?
Post Fri Jun 27, 2003 8:23 pm
Hexy
High Emperor
High Emperor

Why have various weapons like swords, axes and bows?
Why should there be two handed weapons anyway? And why have more than one kind of magic? More than one armor? Why armor at all? Why are there chests? Etc. etc. etc.

Shield could be used for balance between weapons, ok? And the feel of reality, which enhances the RP. And for enhaned combat, which (if you haven't noticed) is quite important, since Gothic is a combat HEAVY GAME.
Post Fri Jun 27, 2003 8:38 pm
DJ Yahari
Village Leader
Village Leader

Well, having various types and still keeping the whole armor/weapon system as simple as possible is something Gothic does very well.... There is no need to add shields, since it serves no purpose and makes the system more complicated... There are so many RPG's with 1000's of weapons and armor. It's nice to see a game that doesn't depend on armor, but on a good roleplaying experience
Post Fri Jun 27, 2003 9:24 pm
Iron Man
Dazed and Confused
Dazed and Confused

Either way, I don't mind. Shields would be a nice addition to gameplay, but then again, its just one more thing you're going to have to buy . That shield idea in the monastary was crap though, your man who was guarding it might as well have said; "we nailed it to the wall because the devs couldn't have been arsed to make a shield system." Anyway, I like parrying with the sword, it seems as though pb spent a lot of time on it this time.

This box secretly turns into a picture and laughs at YOU personally when you're not looking.
Post Fri Jun 27, 2003 9:34 pm
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

quote:
Originally posted by DJ Yahari
What do you want shields for? Higher protection?

how about for realism?

And I know Gothic is about Roleplay...so when Im roleplaying a 1handed warrior, I should be roleplaying that there's a shield on my left arm
Post Fri Jun 27, 2003 9:48 pm
DJ Yahari
Village Leader
Village Leader

There is really no point in discussing this anymore....
Post Fri Jun 27, 2003 9:53 pm
Hexy
High Emperor
High Emperor

Yeah, a couple more items among the myriads of swords, axes, two handed weapons, bows, runes, armors and so forth.
Perish THE friggen thought, eh? Let's not forget about the armor amulets.
And, I personally prefer variety in the game, giving one handers an alternative towards two handers. Plus removing the wondering of why people aren't using the shields that are all over the place. Enhancing the feel of medievalness.

No, seriously, it would be better if they kept it as simple as possible. Remove armors from paladins and mercenaries, it doesn't serve any purpose aside from removing the role play from the game. Everyone walk around in the same clothes, with only clubs.

Edit: Awww, jeez. All this work for nuthin'.
Post Fri Jun 27, 2003 9:54 pm
Iron Man
Dazed and Confused
Dazed and Confused

quote:
Originally posted by Shrapnel
when Im roleplaying a 1handed warrior

That's like a legless cycilist

This box secretly turns into a picture and laughs at YOU personally when you're not looking.
Post Fri Jun 27, 2003 9:58 pm
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

Hey Hexy for that matter...why so much running around for all these quests?
Lets simplify things and just train some courier pigeons, I would welcome the extra time at the bar, right?

Ok now this topic has been overkilled.

Im even going to simplify this thread. Fine, you dont want the extra work of programming in for the AC of the shield? ok. But if they can design and furnish all the buildings with such intricacy and detail, and the landscape with varying shrubbery and types of faunas...how could they forget the shield for the main char?

PS- Iron, I meant 1-handed weapon warrior, and you knew that LOL!
Post Fri Jun 27, 2003 10:13 pm
Stiler
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Blade of darkness (called severance in europe) handeled combat PERFECTLY imo.

It had many great things and the combat was truly the best.
i've yet to find any medieval game that has came as close to how satifisying the combat was and how much strategy and actual SKILL was involved in it.

I wish gothic took that kind of combat system. Then shields/2h's would actually be different.
Post Sat Jun 28, 2003 4:23 am
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

yea that was a great game me and my friends used to multiplay it and chop each others limbs off for hours
Post Sat Jun 28, 2003 7:15 am

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next