X-Box Bloodrayne 2 Demo Available
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Vampire

Author Thread
Davo
City Guard
City Guard

X-Box Bloodrayne 2 Demo Available

I just got my new issue of the Official X-Box Magazine and the included disc has a playable demo of Bloodrayne 2. I played some of the first game, but not all of it. Bloodrayne 2 plays a lot like the first game (wrist knives, slow motion attacks, feeding on enemies, etc.) The graphics are better than the first game (on the X-Box). I played for about an hour. The demo level I played takes place in a large city with some guy communicating with Bloodrayne and issuing missions. The game apparently takes place in the present. The enemies consisted of mostly generic "thugs" wielding crowbars; there were no Nazis to be found anywhere. The gameplay was primarily run and gun; kill thugs and explore the environment.

New Stuff--First, the game definitely seems influenced by Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time. Bloodrayne swings from flagpole to flagpole just like the good prince. Second, the game also seems rather oddly influenced by Tony Hawk; Bloodrayne jumps onto "rails" that appear in every level and "grinds" along these "rails" from high positions to low positions. I think I remember something similar in the first game with Bloodrayne running along high-tension wires, but the "grinding" felt suspiciously like an effort to import "Xtreme Games" into the game

In the end, I thought the game was mindlessly fun. I liked the first game, and I liked this demo too.
Post Sun Sep 26, 2004 2:32 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Sounds like what we've seen in all the trailers and sneak-peek movies for the game so far.
Post Mon Sep 27, 2004 7:41 pm
Davo
City Guard
City Guard

An update on the demo. I played it again last night and finished the demo stage. I will add that the game is a little less mindless than I initially thought. Later in the stage, I got very stuck on a part of the level that required a very clever--and gory-- use of the grappling hook. I won't spoil the surprise--well, unless you reallly want to know--but it did elevate the game from mindless to mildly creative. Also, the game is quite gory. Body parts fly everywhere, from heads and torsos slashed in half to arms and legs sailing through the air.

On a side-note, I misspoke in my initial post. I only played the one demo level, so I don't know if the "grinding" rails appear in every level. They appeared in every section of the level that I played. Unfortunately, you have no control over Rayne when she's on the rail. She just slides down and dismounts. You can, however, switch into slow-motion while she is on a rail. It's great fun to slice and dice baddies as you slowly glide past them.

One criticism is that it is very hard to dismount from a pole when Rayne is swinging from pole to pole. Hopefully that's a design quirk that will get fixed before launch.
Post Tue Sep 28, 2004 1:04 am