Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Why has no other mmorpg came close to what UO had?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > MMORPGs General

Author Thread
Stiler
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Why has no other mmorpg came close to what UO had?

UO was my second mmorpg(EQ was first).
I have YET to find any mmorpg since it that was as social and had so muchhhhh to do. I mean it seems every new mmorpg is the same treadmill gameplay, go out and lv, kill rinse and repeat over and over.

In uo they had open pk'ing, which added a lot of spice to the game, having anti pk'ers guarding places, and having pk'ers ambush people.
Aswell as the LITTLE things that really added to it, like housing , with a TON of stuff to put in it, mounts, sailing, fishing, treasure hunting, tons of clothing, dying, hair coloring, etc.

Will there ever be a mmorpg that was as good as uo was?
Post Sat Jun 28, 2003 1:58 pm
Hexy
High Emperor
High Emperor

Heh...

First of, ultima was 2d, the new MMORPGs are 3d. This can complicate stuff like housing. Besides, some of the new ones do have housing (shadowbane). And, sure, housing is a nice addition, but nothing really important. It doesn't add anything.

Most other RPGs have those other "LITTLE things" you've mentioned. EQ has mounts, fishing, sailing, treasure hunting, tons of clothing, dying etc. Plus WAY better dungeons and bigger overall areas than UO. It also had more races and more classes (which give way more diversity than UO gave).

PK'ing, well, I for one am glad that other games have CHOICE PK. Why do you think EQ was (and is) FAR more popular than UO ever was?
Post Sat Jun 28, 2003 4:49 pm
Stiler
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

umm..
housing DOES add a lot to a game.
EQ did not have nearly as much clothing as UO.
Sure it had some cool armor. I'm talking about clothing, everything from bandanna's to cloaks, etc.

And dying as in dying the clothing/armor a different color.
EQ didn't have mounts until shadows of luclin

and sailing in EQ consist of getting on a static boat (unless they've changed it) and simply going to another island.

In uo you BUY your own boat and sail wherever you want.

I'll always prefer open pk'ing. It adds to the game imo. I find those who DIDN'T play uo are against it, because they think it'll be like a free for all and bunch of grifers, but it's NOT.

You had anti pk'ers that protected people, etc and most people would even fight the pk'ers which were labeled with red names so you would know they were pk'ers.
Post Sat Jun 28, 2003 8:43 pm
Hexy
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Stiler
umm..
housing DOES add a lot to a game.
EQ did not have nearly as much clothing as UO.
Sure it had some cool armor. I'm talking about clothing, everything from bandanna's to cloaks, etc.

And dying as in dying the clothing/armor a different color.
EQ didn't have mounts until shadows of luclin

Well, about housing, I really don't think it's much more than a status symbol and a place to store stuff. It doesn't help fighting monsters or tradeskilling, playing the actual game.

I didn't think about clothes though...

Yes, I know what dying is, and EQ has it now. Perhaps a bit late, but still.

quote:

I'll always prefer open pk'ing. It adds to the game imo. I find those who DIDN'T play uo are against it, because they think it'll be like a free for all and bunch of grifers, but it's NOT.

You had anti pk'ers that protected people, etc and most people would even fight the pk'ers which were labeled with red names so you would know they were pk'ers.

I don't think people who dislike pvp care if there is a veritable ARMY of anti-pkers that MIGHT save them, once or twice. Point is, that a whole night can go to waste by being griefed by someone, making you loose a lot of time and making you mad.
That constantly being on your guard, nervous of interferance while fighting a monster or something might be unenjoyable to some. This is what makes the game newbie UNfriendly.

I didn't know about that sailing though, you can probably tell I'm no UO expert.

Although pvp can add to a game, it also is just as big of a treadmill as anything else. Just look at Shadowbane or DAoC.
Post Sat Jun 28, 2003 9:15 pm
Stiler
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

well you see, in UO the houses DID add to the actual game.
the game was not about going out and getting phat lewt and all that, but more of a simple fun game to play around with friends.

The houses actually could be shops, where a crafter could be making armor/weapons for you and you could buy from his vendors.

Guild people would hold meetings in castles, etc. It served as rune spots for people to travel to other places, etc.
Unlike houses in AO and stuff where you're right, it adds nothing to the gameplay, because most of those houses are static, etc.

Whereas in UO it was all about customizing your house, you could have differen't ones, with everything to make in it from chairs, to rugs, to lights, etc.

as far as pk'ing in UO. Well you could more than likely usually run away from a pker if you have a mount or something. The only thing you really lost is maybe a good weapon or armor, which you could prolly afford to buy back anyway because of how good the economy was.

There wasn't really like super secret armor that was really hard to come by.
Post Sun Jun 29, 2003 1:13 am
Hagen
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

I think there are a lot of upcoming RPGs that have realised what made UO so succesful and have decided to travel a similar route... Star Wars Galaxies for example, I think will be a massive hit, I was in beta and it was the first MMORPG Ive played that actually gave a purpose to socilising...
Post Sun Jun 29, 2003 12:37 pm
MMOGman
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

PvP is a favorite subject of alot of people's in the area of MMOGs. I enjoy PvP, IF IT IS DONE CORRECTLY.

PvPing in..
UO dread lord days(beginning UO) = PvPing done wrong
Shadowbane = flawed, yet the best of any MMOG PvP right now

As for what makes a MMOG successful, I believe it has alot to do with the depth and/or replayability of the game. I am currently playing Planetside and have already maxed out a character within just a few weeks. All there is to do is the same thing I did before with a new character and try new skills. Although the game is still alot of fun for me, I think they could have added alot more to the game for replayability/depth sake.

When an expansion comes out, I have almost no interest at all in content, content is the most overrated thing in my opinion. I am interested in features. How will the game really improve itself? Will they add housing(with the ability to customize)? Are they adding PvP? Will there be new forms of combat/magic? Vehicles/mounts being added? PC shops? etc. etc.

As far as SWG, I'm sure I'll eventually give it a try. I just remember EQ and think it will resemble that game too much. My idea of a typical SWG session..
I log on. Go get a quest at the cantina. He tells me to go out into Timbuktu(a far away zone) and kill some mob. I go out to the location precisely to where the quest giver told me, the mob is no longer there. I look around for a while nearby and to no avail. I return to the cantina and make sure I did everything right, and yes I did. I log off, 1 and a half hours wasted. I log on to some SWG messageboard only to find out that the mob I was after was either killed by some other PC or the quest has always been broken.
I dunno, maybe SWG is really a cool game, I'm gonna wait a little while at any rate.
Post Sun Jun 29, 2003 7:13 pm
heavensblade
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

UO was the first MMOG I played and since then it has been the measuring stick with which i compare other MMOGs. I started UO the first month it came out and man it was hectic. I remember the great fun i had in PvP and the good old PKs v Anti days...of course i had a "red" and an "anti" toon. Housing was great especially having our guild keep and having pet dragons with my tamer and a rideable mount that you tame yourself was awesome.

Didnt feel like fighting? Cool go do some smithing then make some armor or weapons. This was the only game where equipment meant nothing...it was always the player sitting behind the character that determine how well you did. A new player could become "l33t" with a bit of PvP practise and people tended to not be as rude as in other games (EQ) because if they started talking crap or acting like an asshole, you would be the target of numerous PKs immediately.

Sadly, Origin customer support was sh!t and i moved on the EQ when it was released. Even tho i didnt like the level system i actually played EQ for a while since my old UO guild all moved to EQ together (Rathe server). Made it to level 50 with my SK then quit as there was nothing left to do (b4 the flood of EQ expansions began).

Anyway i still havent found a MMOG that comes anywhere replicating the magic of UO but i think the new incarnation of Horizons might come close.
Post Sat Aug 09, 2003 4:44 am
Lord_Brownie
High Emperor
High Emperor

Housing was a major part of UO fun for me. No other game has come close to the rp'ing around house like UO did. The ease of decorating houses gave endless possiblities to role play around and provided hours of fun for decorators. Far from just a storage bin, houses in UO, along with all the items you can use to decorate it, is the greatest role-playing tool so far in a mmrpg. Haveing the items needed to trade skill in you house was great, no more huddling around crowded forges. UO was made with a vision that has never been tried again, it was unque and fun. Other MMRPGs are a different type of game that UO.
LB
Post Sat Aug 09, 2003 11:02 am
Kiff
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

I too started in UO when it first came out. Housing was/is a big and very important aspect of the game. UO did have so many things to do, and never became boring, there was no leveling treadmill. If the UO of old were to come out with todays graphic's it would do great. Some people like to have the level system as to where they can judge their character to someone elses. UO got it right by making it so the person at the computer was the real factor that made his character great or not. EQ was supposed to be the game where there is more socializing (because no fear of PK) well it has some socializing but in general people are much more rude than the non-greifers of UO. Why is it that ppl in UO are nicer, for fear of a PK retalliation. EQ is great no dening that, I play it on and off just like UO, and DAoC. They all have unique points to the game but the most exciting is UO. I think Darkfall Online is a clone of the UO of old. At least I hope so.
Post Wed Aug 13, 2003 5:23 pm
vaticide
Put food in here
Put food in here

I know Lineage plays pretty close to UO, at least I've been told. I'm hoping that Lineage II will take up the torch and give us something as good/better than UO was. Not that my wife would let me play but if it is at least I can be happy for you all!

-vaticide
Post Wed Aug 13, 2003 9:49 pm
Kiff
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Lineage looked alot like UO, and to just look at it you would think it played alot like UO. But once inside the game, it really didn't have much to do other than clan wars, or castle seiges. It was also very limiting in some of the (imo) more enjoyable things to do. Like character creation, and adding stats, and all that good stuff at the beginning. AC2 took all that way, what a disappointment. Assiging all those stats is in the top 5 of a good RPG. In Lineage II I hope they add alot more options other than fighting. It just makes RPGing in an RPG easier to do.
Post Thu Aug 14, 2003 3:19 pm
RedTiger
Village Leader
Village Leader

Hopefully we'll find out soon if the new Ultima endeavour is going to be the new improved UO.
Post Tue Aug 19, 2003 2:21 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

One word: DARKFALL ONLINE !!!

oh ok, thats two words, my bad.
Post Thu Aug 21, 2003 11:56 pm