Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Freelancer (PC, Single- & Multi-Player RPG)
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Games Comments

Author Thread
dserk
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Freelancer - After the Honeymoon

I was way too forgiving when I gave this game an 9 out of 10 score or whatever. This game was SERIOUSLY addictive for about a week, but now the honeymoon is over.

Freelancer is a very thin game. The spaceflight simulator is superb, but space combat is often repetitive. Most factions use the same tactics and strategy over and over. The RPG aspects are no more than choosing and outfitting your ship, choosing missions, and choosing which information and bribes you buy.

Freelancer is still fun despite it's scarcity. I haven't played in multi-player mode yet. The game is full of eye-candy and soundeffects at every turn, but, unfortunately, all the graphics and sound in the world won't make up for gameplay and flat, generic characters and missions.

"I always said there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe." -Arthur Dent
Post Fri Apr 18, 2003 4:03 pm
Barzenak

Freelancer

I have to agree although I still enjoy the game after finishing though the story portion of the game. I was hoping for more and maybe an expansion later will add more story and content. Too bad there is not more to do exploring and trading is very secondary to just simply blasting away.

Still looking for a deep space sim someday. Freelancer doesn't dethrone Freespace 2 although it is a good title.
Post Tue Apr 22, 2003 2:09 am

Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Keep an eye on X2 (www.egosoft.com) .
Post Tue Apr 22, 2003 9:28 am
dserk
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Freelancer is better on-line

I'm hoping for an expansion pack with another story, too, Myrthos. There are already a few mods out there, check www.lancersreactor.com, so I imagine it would be pretty easy for MS to give us a good mod with full cinematics and voice acting. And why not some new ships, factions, systems, and weapons while they're at it?

I just got cable internet at home over the weekend so immediately I dove right in to Freelancer multiplayer. As long as you have a good ping it's ALMOST as smooth as single player, sometimes the spaceships "jump" around from server lag... and the people are generally friendly even in the player v. player (PVP) servers. It truly does have MMOG potential since your character persists between sessions but most servers don't have more than 30 players, a few have more and I saw a couple that could accommodate 100 players!

Perhaps Freelancer and I could renew our vows. hehehe.

Anyway, does that EVE MMORPG look good to any of you guys?

"I always said there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe." -Arthur Dent
Post Tue Apr 22, 2003 3:48 pm
Scoundrel
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Hmpf! The first time I started playing Freelancer, I found it superb and highly addictive. But then I played and beat it in 2 days straight ( nearly non-stop ) After that I managed to get a Titan with Class10 weapons and Nomad Blasters/Cannons, I felt that was the end...
Some mods I downloaded from www.lancersreactor.com couldn't keep me for far too long.
Ok, the game lacks:
Speech Variety
Mission Variety
Ship Variety
Weapon Variety
So on and so forth........

My point is this game is INCOMPLETE!
Perhaps Microsoft was in a rush....

I say Wing Commander series were a LOT better...
Post Mon May 05, 2003 6:19 pm
booster777

Leveling up!!

Is is possible to level up without going thru the missions first? I would really like to take on the Nomads with a Titan or a Sabre.
Post Sun May 18, 2003 6:16 am

Scoundrel
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

No way! d:(

Whenever you hit F8 and see this:
Next Level: Mission

You MUST complete the next mission to gain next level.
However after you complete some missons you CAN level up without doing a misson, actually you MUST gain a few level ups to get the next mission.....
Post Tue May 20, 2003 12:07 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Trading isn't secondary for money making. Yesterday I went from level 1 to 20 something in 5 hours and only ran 4 missions (enough to get a rhino and get a little bit of a nest egg).

It's risky, but there is one five minute run that can net you thousands... and thousands.... and thousands. Eventually you'll end up making 20 or 30 thousand in 5 minutes. I don't know about anyone else, but it takes me more than 5 minutes to defeat the missions that pay that much.

But it's boring. I did it long enough to buy a Valkyrie (not because they're the greatest, but because I wanted a Valkyrie) and then I realized I had nothing to do with it. I'd explored the game in single player, so at best I could fly around and shoot things.

It's an awesome space simulator... it's a blast to explore and I played a good 60 hours single player exploring every region of space. 60 hours on a space simulator = good simulator in my books. 60 hours over 7 days with multiple 8 to 12 hour sessions because I was that into it = great simulator.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Wed May 21, 2003 6:43 pm
Toaster
Bread Alert
Bread Alert

Re: Freelancer - After the Honeymoon

quote:
Originally posted by dserk
I was way too forgiving when I gave this game an 9 out of 10 score or whatever. This game was SERIOUSLY addictive for about a week, but now the honeymoon is over.

Freelancer is a very thin game. The spaceflight simulator is superb, but space combat is often repetitive. Most factions use the same tactics and strategy over and over. The RPG aspects are no more than choosing and outfitting your ship, choosing missions, and choosing which information and bribes you buy.

Freelancer is still fun despite it's scarcity. I haven't played in multi-player mode yet. The game is full of eye-candy and soundeffects at every turn, but, unfortunately, all the graphics and sound in the world won't make up for gameplay and flat, generic characters and missions.

Exactly, EXACTLY my opinion.

Tabbrowser Extensions
DictionarySearch
Post Thu May 22, 2003 5:12 pm
sealight4
City Guard
City Guard

still pretty

I just finished SP twice, the second time with some mods. The graphics are outstanding.The story is sterile and lacks spirit but fun at times. I did spend several hundred hours playing slowly thru and enjoyed it, having a glitch free game was a delight and no dungeons or elves. I also think it was released too early.It's almost a classic.
Post Sat Jul 26, 2003 3:12 pm