Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Finished Gothic 2 this Morning , Wich Gothic did you like?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
Brolli999999
City Guard
City Guard

Finished Gothic 2 this Morning , Wich Gothic did you like?

I finished gothic 2 this morning , i finished every quest i could wich was alot and i was at level 42 , kinda disapointed by the last boss battle the game was fun but i gotta say i liked the first one alot better well thats all see you later
Post Tue Jul 01, 2003 4:26 am
Shmaugus
High Emperor
High Emperor

i dont think you should rate the second one until you play the expansion if it comes out i english those usually make the games alot better
Post Tue Jul 01, 2003 4:56 am
HellSap
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I was rather disappointed that the last boss was identical to all the other bosses, except it had a bit more hp... it had the same attacks and was defeated as easily as all the others.. it was a shame...
Post Tue Jul 01, 2003 10:57 am
hatchetkilla
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Just completed Gothic 2

Was it as good as Gothic it's hard 2 say it had it's good point's & it's bad but U soon 4got the bad as the story took over & made it hard 2 stop playing. It took me 2 day's 2 finish it & the end left it open 4 a 3rd part but all in all a great game still 1 of the best need i say more!!!!!!! :rpgrin:
Post Wed Jul 02, 2003 1:56 am
ghola
City Guard
City Guard

G2 is a very nice game with beautiful artwork and a rich world but it really leaves me longing for the freshness of the G1 world where good and evil were less pronounced. G2 left this track and has become more traditional, a bit like the George Bush take on Gothic.

To me, a serious problem with G2 is that there's less room for variety in character development. Diversity is strictly confined to the predefined classes and in general decisions don't seem to matter a lot. To put it extreme: train whatever you like, the result will be the same homogenous blob known as PC_HERO. Everything together, too often I feel like the game is a tease, playing me. A feeling that G1 did not inspire.

On G2's positive side, I find the first (two or three?) chapters very enjoyable. In the beginning decisions still matter so the replayability factor is high. Also, compared to G1 the scripted dialogues make a lot more sense, in G2 explanations and motivations always seem reasonable where in G1 some stuff was utterly incredible (to me, at least). Finally, the interface has improved a bit and there are less script-breaking bugs than in G1.

So which Gothic? Hmmm... eventhough I appreciate what has been done with G2... it's really hard to beat G1, isn't it?
Post Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:59 am
Iron Man
Dazed and Confused
Dazed and Confused

I enjoyed Gothic 1 much more, but I didn't explore as much as I did in Gothic 1 (don't ask me why, I just didn't )

This box secretly turns into a picture and laughs at YOU personally when you're not looking.
Post Wed Jul 02, 2003 11:19 am
Jazz
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

WOHOO!!! just completed Gothic2 But man what a crappy Boss I was rather disapointed...well I dont really know wich game I liked the most, I liked Gothic 2 because the world were so big and there were alot more quest. But there were still something missing from Gothic 1 I dont know what it was.
Post Wed Jul 02, 2003 2:12 pm
Shmaugus
High Emperor
High Emperor

from the ways all of you are describing the last boss im guessing it was a dissapointment so if you kil it just like all the other dragon... then that sounds kinda boring, it probally would have been better if it was killed like the sleeper or maybe something original like that that was fun
Post Wed Jul 02, 2003 5:53 pm
Hagen
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

Ending of G2 was a bit...I dunno, as if the developers got bored and just slammed another dragon in...

But I think in one sense the ending was good, its left me with a lot of questions! and I cant wait to buy G3/the expansion!

I think i prefer G2, but certain aspects of G1 i prefered...
Post Thu Jul 03, 2003 10:37 pm
Gaming-Module
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I'll say it right off the bat. Gothic 2 didn't exceed or even meet the standard set by Gothic 1. That doesn't mean it isn't one of the best RPG's to grace computers in awhile, because it is. But several elements that made Gothic 1 the best RPG of all time were thrown to the wayside for this sequel.

Gothic 2 contained almost no tension. No fear. There were some truly scary moments in Gothic 1. I'm sure most of you remember stalking the minecrawler queen in the old mine. Fighting her offspring in the total darkness was a harrowing experience. And then fighting the queen was difficult and unnerving. This was one of many times Gothic 1 ranked up there with System Shock 2, Undying and AvP 1/2 in terms of fright factor. Gothic 2 just wasn't scary. The monsters were repeats, the game was well lighted throughout and by the time you met anything that might scare a lesser adventurer you were strong enough to handily crush just about anything, including dragons of various flavors.

This isn't the only area that lacked polish. The world itself, while larger and full of more quests, wasn't as interesting. I think I found one secret in the water throughout the whole game. Cave designs were reused far too often and exploring rewarded with nothing, more often than something, actually discouraged exploration. Exploring in Gothic 1 often yielded rewards in the form of items or moments of awe at how special this place you just discovered is. If it weren't for the rare herbs exploring would have been absolutely pointless.

And that's another thing - herbs. This game is one big Pac-Man session of me running around the wilderness gobbling up the herbs in search of that next dragon root/goblin berry/kings sorril. I would like to see herbs de-emphasized in the sequel and perhaps potions nerfed a bit. There is no reason why potions couldn't be dropped down to +1 from +5 perm stat bonus. The game is already far too easy in the end. Providing the means to allow the player to go 2 times the stat limit with perm stat boosting potions is unbalancing. My next playthrough I will be avoiding min/maxing of stats in order to hopefully provide a richer game experience. It's obvious that potions were placed in the game in case you built your character into a corner, but cmon. These sorts of weaknesses in the character building system should be worked out within the system and not solved with artificial solutions such as perm stat boosters. I much rather would have been finding tons of gold and equipment, which was sorely lacking.

While there was a robust armory of rings and armor, the arsenal of weapons on a class-by-class basis was pitiful. I started with a dagger, moved up to a long sword, onto a self made sword, found an orc slayer which I used until learning how to forge dragon slayers. A total of five weapons throughout the entire game, which would have been only three if I had trecked to where the orc slayer is and grabbed it early like some did. Gothic 1 had a wide array of weapons in various classes. I went through twice as many weapons in G1.

Gothic 1 also felt much more fresh. The medieval penal colony theme was fresh and the armor types were new and intriguing and the enemies were renewed takes on the old fantasy roster of baddies. With most monsters recycled and even armor and weapons looking utterly unchanged, Gothic 2 stales quite a bit quicker with the bag opened.

These are my major gripes, bugginess aside. The beginning was good and resembled the old greatness of Gothic 1 well, but the middle faultered and the final third fell flat on its face as the game quickly degenerated into pure hack n slash, laundry list check-off dungeon romping for the sake of "finishing that damn quest."

Gothic 2 is still above and beyond Morrowind in terms of ambience and geographic detail, but Gothic 2 let alot of things go that just should not have been thrown to the wayside. I just hope Gothic 3 picks up where Gothic 1 left off and brings us some more revitalization of the fantasy genre.
Post Fri Jul 04, 2003 6:55 am
elkston
High Emperor
High Emperor

gaming-module,

That was a nice assesment. Thanks for the comments.
Post Fri Jul 04, 2003 4:53 pm
Gaming-Module
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

No problem. I was meaning to start one of these threads myself, when I found this one.

I'm still kind of dissapointed that I don't have that feeling of satisfaction from beating Gothic 2. I think it's because the devs didn't really do that great of a job tying things up because they wanted to leave room for a quick expansion. For example, those three long hallways in Irdorath in the UD dragons lair. Each has an orc and then this long hallway into nothingness (part of the side hallways are also glitched and have this weird mirrored texture bug.

It's obvious that more was intended, but either time or money ran out. I'll bet there were plans for a totally different ending or boss, but the deadline closed in and the end was hastily slapped together.

Pity.
Post Fri Jul 04, 2003 5:54 pm
hatchetkilla
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

2 bizzy looking for the bad 2 see the good

I've been reading your reply's and all i can see is people missing the point of the game which is Gothic.
Your all talking like it's a hole new game which it's not it's the next part of the story.
You all go on about it being the same but if it was different it wouldn't be Gothic you all see the game for what it could be and not what it is!!!!
So the armor has chanced well your not in the colony no more your in a city so you didn't use many weapons your loss i had lot's of weapons and i used then all because i felt like a change of weapon just because the sword and armor you got is the most powerful don't mean you have to use it.
It's an RPG (role playing Game) so play the role if i'm in town i wear citizen's clothing with a one-handed sword if i'm in the wild i wear heavy armor with a two-handed sword.

I loved Gothic for it's story and it's game play and that's what i got with Gothic 2 more of the great story and lot's more of the great game play so it had it's faults but they was soon forgotten as i played on yeah the last boss was crap but so what! we was all worried that Gothic 2 wouldn't be like the first but it was and now you all mone about it STOP BEING SO PICKY and love the game for what it is !GREAT!
Post Fri Jul 04, 2003 6:15 pm
Gaming-Module
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

You're a fanboy. I'm a fan.

Our replies to this thread are textbook examples of the difference between the two.

I love Gothic, but I will also critically analyze it freely. Gothic 2 was great, as I said. But it is missing many components which made the first one of my top five greatest games ever.

Tension, fright, variety, originality, difficulty scale were pieces of the Gothic franchise (based on the first game) which never showed their face in Gothic 2.
Post Fri Jul 04, 2003 7:44 pm
hix
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Deleted by Gorath ==>spoilers.
Post Fri Jul 04, 2003 9:05 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next