Usergroups
combos
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
txiabxyooj
Fox Spirit
Fox Spirit

how do you get the combos to work. i currently have the level one upgrade for one-handed weapons, but haven't been able to get any combos to work. what are the controls? when my character does a combo is it obvious?

"The origin of things, if things have an origin, cannot be revealed to me, if revealed at all, until I have travelled very far from it, and many revolutions of the sun must precede my first dawn. The light as it appears hides the candle." --Santayana
=member of the worshippers of the written word=
=member of the Non-flamers' guild=
Post Mon Dec 10, 2001 4:42 pm
Ragnar
High Emperor
High Emperor

The combos are a timing thing, if you up arrow to fast you will only do forward strikes.

Sylvio
Post Mon Dec 10, 2001 4:47 pm
PaulDenton
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Hold you ACTION button.

Level 1
-------
Forward => makes an upward slash

(when the blade is above your shoulder)
Forward => makes a downward slash

(when the blade is below your waist)
Forward => makes a right-to-left slash and a left-to-right slash

Level 2
-------
Forward => makes an upward slash

(when the blade is above your shoulder)
Forward => makes a downward slash

Forward => spin and makes a left-to-right slash

Forward => makes a right-to-left slash and a left-to-right slash

You have to wait until the blade is in place, otherwise the combo won't be performed.

[ This Message was edited by: PaulDenton on 2001-12-10 11:00 ]
Post Mon Dec 10, 2001 4:56 pm
JemyM
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

First rule:
Dont be to quick. Take it slower. Learn how to plan your next movement.

Lesson One: the left-right-left technique.

If you quickly press left than right you will miss the right swing. If you wait until your sword is on the characters right side, then press right, you will make a fluid right-swing, thus making two attacks pretty quickly.

You can continue to practice left - right - left - right for awhile.

Lesson Two: Advancing forward

Now try to do an advance forward. Instead of pressing left after a left-right swing, press forward. The character will take one step forward with a upper swing, resting his weapon on his shoulder. When you see the weapon resting on his shoulder, press forward again and he will take another step forward and his sword goes back down to his left.

When his sword is to the left, press right again, and you will note that the character swings his sword to the left again in a fluid motion, just like lesson one. Press right and you will return to the basic position again (your weapon to the right). Continue following the Lesson One technique by pressing left again...

left, right, left, right, forward, forward, right, left, right, left... Feel the blade going a fluid motion while you advance forward. Practice to always keep the sword in motion so it doesnt stop, even if you advance.

Without breaks you are not allowing your foe to get near you. With advancing forward you make sure to push the enemy backwards and this gives you control over him, and he doesnt have control over you.

You may also use this technique to push larger beasts into a wall, and when they cannot flee anymore you can start to whipe them left - right -left - right (since they cannot escaoe backwards they are trapped) until they are dead. I killed the Troll at level 5-8 by using this technique. Only critical hits hurted the Troll, but the important thing was that the Troll couldnt hurt me. I also tried the same technique against Swampsharks and it proved to work very well. I defeated all the swampsharks on shapter 2 by pushing them up against walls.

Lesson Three: Movement

While the first two lessons is enough to take out most enemies in the game, you have one problem, multiple enemies. A novice will take a few hits, but a master can learn the skill of evasion. To evade is a technique that can cannot be teached, but have to be practiced until it comes as a reflex.
You must learn how to be able to make a minor break in your attacks, while strafing to the right, or the left. After strafing you must learn how to be able to continue your fluid motion as teached in lesson one and two.
When fighting multiple enemies, try to take one step backward after your left/right strafe, and then make a forward attack. If it hits, good, if it doesnt, dont worry. Retreat backwards, strafe around, and as soon as you feel a wall coming up behind you JUMP forward... With acrobatics this is even easier. Jump forward, trying to jump between the enemies, ending up behind them. Run or jump once more forward before spinning around. Then continue, strafe left - retreat - forward attack - retreat - strafe right - retreat - forward attack - retreat...

Lesson Four: The spinattack and the double swing

Now, there is one more thing to learn. This can be done in the same fluid movements as above, it only uses a different combination.

Think of this, you wave the sword right - left - right - left - forward - forward - left - right - left - forward - forward. Just like lesson one and two.

You can go on that way forever, forwarding against the enemy. Its enough to take out most enemies in the game.

But try this one out, when you have pressed forwards twice, press forward again! Your character will spin around in a spinning attack! Do it ONCE more for a final left-right doubleswing.

Thus - Forward - Forward - Forward - Forward...

In the end of this sequence your sword will be to the right again, so you can just continue in the same fluid motion by pressing left - right - left right again... Always keep waving, never stop...

Get it?

This last technique might only be available to "master" skilled people. If this is true you are stuck with the first lessons, for now.

Now, who said that the Gothic fight-system are ridicilous? I think its genious. =)

Best Regards
JemyM

[ This Message was edited by: JemyM on 2001-12-10 11:26 ]
Post Mon Dec 10, 2001 5:10 pm
Ragnar
High Emperor
High Emperor

You have studied hard Grasshopper and have learned your lessons well. You are now ready to defend yourself against the forces of evil. Remember that victory is only an illusion and that you must remain forever vigilant, for evil lurks around every corner and will strike when you least expect it…

I just wanted to say something philosophical…

[ This Message was edited by: Ragnar on 2001-12-10 12:41 ]
Post Mon Dec 10, 2001 6:39 pm
txiabxyooj
Fox Spirit
Fox Spirit

thanks, those were the tips & answers i was looking for. i wish the manual was a little more helpful.

"The origin of things, if things have an origin, cannot be revealed to me, if revealed at all, until I have travelled very far from it, and many revolutions of the sun must precede my first dawn. The light as it appears hides the candle." --Santayana
Post Mon Dec 10, 2001 6:43 pm
Saint_Proverbius
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:
Now, who said that the Gothic fight-system are ridicilous? I think its genious. =)

I think it's a tad ridiculous. My character has a dexterity score, why the hell is he relying on my manual dexterity to fight with?
Post Mon Dec 10, 2001 8:19 pm
JemyM
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Ragnar
------
Thanks mate.
Guess you also found the "New Game" option after you beated the game the first time.

I guess I will finish this game three times... Hehe.

Saint_Proverbius
----------------
Dont question the words of the ancient masters. Do, or not do.

Just kidding... I kinda like the action part of this RPG... It IS a action RPG... But with far more substance, story and character interaction than for example Diablo.

Best Regards
JemyM
Post Tue Dec 11, 2001 12:21 am
Saint_Proverbius
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Yeah, but I'd kill for an "RPG combat mode", where my character did that stuff according to his own abilities and not mine. After all, a character should be an avatar for the player in the world, and how he handles the world is based on his own abilities.

It's the world of the game that sucked me in, the combat annoys me.

Post Tue Dec 11, 2001 3:20 am
JemyM
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Then wouldnt Gothic be the same. Dont think I would like it as much as I do now.
Lacks interactivity.

Best Regards
JemyM
Post Tue Dec 11, 2001 4:11 am
Saint_Proverbius
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Fallout managed this just fine.
Post Tue Dec 11, 2001 10:18 pm
JemyM
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Its unfair to compare games to Fallout.

Best Regards
JemyM
Post Tue Dec 11, 2001 10:46 pm
txiabxyooj
Fox Spirit
Fox Spirit

i think the saying is: "different strokes for different folks." i hated fallout...i didn't care for the style of gameplay at all--i love gothic. the interface was a little tough at first, but i think the 3rd person style game play is great.

Post Thu Dec 13, 2001 8:24 pm
JemyM
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

txiabxyooj
----------
Most RPG fans declare "Fallout 2" to be the best RPG ever made.

Some goes so far to say that its the ONLY roleplaying game ever made on a computer, while all the others are computer rpgs with the only goal to save xp and gain levels.

Best Regards
JemyM
Post Fri Dec 14, 2001 12:13 am