It's Horrible, Don't buy it
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 30

Author Thread
Drake14
Brigadier General

What is Wizardry 8???

What's is it? what is is based on, is it a good game?
Post Thu Mar 04, 2004 11:37 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

You didn't have an option for "one of the best games ever"...

If you like complex character development, this is THE game for you. If you want pretty graphics and "twitch-action", this ain't your cup of tea. I believe you've played the Might and Magic series? If so, I'd say this is as close to that magical gameplay as you can get.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:33 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

It will really depend on what you like.

Not really fast, complex and strategic gameplay with huge character developement system. If this is what you want, you will get one of best. If you want mainly action or (and) graphics, you should not buy this title.
Post Fri Mar 05, 2004 9:43 am
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

I agree with the other posters here, but have a little to add.

It have a very complex character development system, not so hard to understand, but forces you to really think about your decisions regarding development, the D&D rules are to Wizardry 8 like water is compared to branded whiskey.

It has a huge gameworld with almost limitless freedom to explore anytime!

First person party view, for immersive gameworld feeling and "like been there self" atmosphere.

Easily +100 game hours the first time through.

Interesting NPC societies.

Huge item/equipment list.

Highly tactical turn/phase based combat.

Fair story.

Many real different enviroments. (Swamps, towns,mountains, dungeons underwater caves etc.)

Spawning random encounters between places.

Many "bosses" to meet/fight.

Very different enemies, both to look at, but also to fight.
Post Fri Mar 05, 2004 11:14 am
Sir Markus
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

To my tastes Wizardry 8 is an excellent game, one of the best RPG's I've ever played in fact. I agree with everything everyone has said here about the game. I think the graphics are a little behind the times, but the game engine makes great use of color, IMO, and as was stated previously the regions are nicely varied. One final comment, if you decide you want to try this game, make sure to track down a copy that has a printed manual. I'm not sure if the versions they are selling now have manuals in the boxes or if it's in printable format on disk. I used the manual constantly while playing Wizardry 8. Just a suggestion, but if you liked Might and Magic or Wizards and Warriors I'd say you'll like this one as well.
Post Fri Mar 05, 2004 11:32 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Wizardry 8 is definately a well made game.
Post Sat Mar 06, 2004 1:14 am
Shadeling
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I found leveling to be very disappointing in Wizardry 8. Not so much leveling my characters but how monsters would level right along with me. It made leveling virtually pointless. It was a chore just moving down along the path of the beginning city because the monsters that were once level 1 were now level 10, two levels above me and in large groups. That became such a headache I gave up on the game completely. I'm sure some folks love that kind of challenge in a constant stream but I prefer doses, a way to pace myself without having to fight overwhelming odds in every single random fight.

Blech. Not my cup of tea. Which was unfortunate because I liked everything else about the game.

"Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night." - Edgar Allen Poe
Post Mon Apr 12, 2004 4:06 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

The trick to success in Wizardry 8 is not leveling, but training your skills. More specifically, training your casters' skills. If you have a group of casters with caster/fighter type hybrids, then the game is a breeze when you train them up. My fighters never had the highest number of kills. My mage did. Fireball! Fireball! Fireball!
Post Tue Apr 13, 2004 5:48 pm
Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

I agree with Shadeling. The endless combat wore me down. In wiz 7 combat was 8 million times quicker. But Wiz 8 is a great game. WIz 7 was a lot better in my opinion. There is something wrong with hobbits being the best Samaria. Wiz 8 lost a lot of personality in its attempt to streamline and open up to a wider auidence. I hate that. Sequals should add to, not take away.

I think wiz 8 has great graphics personaly, but I am easily impressed. The more you beat on an enemy, the more beat-up they look. I hardly ever had to check enemy hp numbers because of this graphical feedback.

Another plus was typing dialogue. I have always favored typing over selecting. It helps with make my fanatstic spelling ability even better.

This game also has some really personable npcs (party and non-party), sirtech is great at that. But I hate loosing party members and every npc has an area they won't enter which drove me nuts.
Post Wed Apr 14, 2004 6:11 am
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

quote:
Originally posted by Roqua
I agree with Shadeling. The endless combat wore me down. In wiz 7 combat was 8 million times quicker. But Wiz 8 is a great game. WIz 7 was a lot better in my opinion. There is something wrong with hobbits being the best Samaria. Wiz 8 lost a lot of personality in its attempt to streamline and open up to a wider auidence. I hate that. Sequals should add to, not take away.

I think wiz 8 has great graphics personaly, but I am easily impressed. The more you beat on an enemy, the more beat-up they look. I hardly ever had to check enemy hp numbers because of this graphical feedback.

Another plus was typing dialogue. I have always favored typing over selecting. It helps with make my fanatstic spelling ability even better.

This game also has some really personable npcs (party and non-party), sirtech is great at that. But I hate loosing party members and every npc has an area they won't enter which drove me nuts.

In Wizardry 7 you couldn't see the enemy before he attacked you, in Wiz8 you can, and you can thertefore with a little agility avoid many battles in Wiz8. Battles are in general longer in Wiz8, but also a lot more detailed in strategy, as positioning of enemies / party have a bigger influence in Wiz8.

Yes, You could actually get a lot of more story informations in Wiz8, by typing in the right dialogues yourself.

You just setup some teleporters in the areas where the NPC's wouldn't enter, and teleport them inside the areas. They maybe suffer a little for what ever reason, but they will stay in your party.
Post Mon Apr 19, 2004 7:58 am
DBear
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

All of you complaining about Wiz8's long combat...

..two words: continuous mode

"My best friend's a spider; my girlfriend's a cardboard cutout I stole from Circuity City." Spock's Beard--"Devil's Got My Throat"
Post Thu Apr 29, 2004 6:49 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Yes, continuous mode, however good tacticals fights was one of most important good things in this game.
Post Fri Apr 30, 2004 1:17 pm
Dan_Grr
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Ill say

Ill say, i would like to play W8, but if its somewhat related to MMIX, then forget it. I bought the game in a promotion thinking i had done a great deal: well i havent!

I talked to some ppl and they told me MM8 was better, even 7 or 6.

Anyway, maybe ill give it a shot at W8
Post Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:35 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

MM9 was a crime against humanity. It should not be mentioned in the same post as Wiz8 or even MM6, MM7 and MM8 without a prayer of apology to the Gaming Gods. *dte offers prayer of apology to the Gaming Gods*

Wiz8 is my favorite game of all-time, a position it took from MM7, so I'm pretty familiar with comparisons between those games. I highly recommend you get a copy of the Wizfast utility, since I'm going to take a completely baseless guess and say you're the type of gamer that will find Wiz8 combat to be a bit tedious.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Tue Aug 24, 2004 2:31 am
Knarnak
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

n hey! if ya dont like this game, i suggest you try one of the older versions of wizardry..........such as wiz 5, heart of the mealstrom....thas my fav

im sure if ya look around the forums enough youl hear me talk about wiz5 alot........i have many a fond memories with that scenerio.......

almost makes me cry....

long live The Mad Stomper and Ruby the Warlock!

thanks fer lendin an ear...

-porter

"You are not crazy if you talk to yourself. You are only crazy if you talk back..." -?

"Your mouth is full...full of disease. And yet, I still want to pull your teeth." -Knarnak
Post Fri Jun 03, 2005 6:40 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next