Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
RPG Rants -- my shots at a few recent RPG's ...
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Kabduhl
City Guard
City Guard

quote:
Originally posted by Hexy
quote:

Morrowind ---> No challenge for high level characters let alone mid level characters. Unexcuseable. Really boring melee system.

Gothic ---> Only one available PC look. How lame.

NWN ---> Single player campaign so absolutely convoluted and boring. Zero player freedom, invulnerable unhittable NPC's.

Bioware games in general ---> EVERYONE WEARS TIGHTS.

Arcanum ---> Graphics suck. Animations are severely childlike. Big time lack of customizing PC look. These things kill immersion factor for me so they go beyond just looks in my opinion.

You seem quite obsessed with graphics, and I guess that's kind of sad. You know, disregarding story and circumstances. Why does Gothic have only one character look? Hello, story?

Zero player freedom in NWN single-player? What kind of hacked version did you get, man? Because, as FAR as I REMEMBER, there were PLENTY of side quests and such. Story MAY have been boring, but there were lots of stuff to do, and skills to use.

Graphics suck because you can't customize your character in Arcanum? I found the graphics pretty nice, but whatever. And, furthermore, how is Arcanum a RECENT game?

Exchange opinions and ideas? On what? Your opinions? Which we aren't allowed to discuss? Okaaaaaaaay...

Hmmm I can see I will have alot of fun dismantling your arguments. I hate he said she said crap so that is why I started my post with caveat that my statements were charged by OPINION. It's a disclaimer.

Arcanum --> Graphics suck because the animations are stiff and silly, colors were bland and seemed like photoshop defaults.

In Gothic there is no reason the story couldn't adapt to use any player 'look'. The charcter would be the same man thrown into the prison colony only the character would look differently. I'm pretty insulted they didn't give you an option to be a brown man in that game. The story never once gets into detail about who this prisoner is, where he's from, what he did to land in jail etc. etc. etc. there is no reason to FORCE one single player look other than lazy development. I'll provide one example for you that should clarify this idea ---> Star Wars KoTOR : in this game you (the main character) actually have a very seriously fleshed out background that unfolds as the story plays out. However Bioware was able to allow for PLAYER FREEDOM IN HOW THEY WANTED TO LOOK (even going so far as to make it possible to be male or female).

THERE IS NOT ONE SINGLE ELEMENT OF THE GOTHIC STORYLINE, NOT A SINGLE DAMN ONE, THAT REQUIRES THE CHARACTER TO LOOK THE WAY HE DOES. THE PLAYER SHOULD HAVE A CHOICE OF HOW THEY WANT TO LOOK. THIS IS FAR MORE IMPORTANT THAN ANY DUMB ASS CUTSCENE (and by the way I imagine the reason the charcter model is static is because the devs at Pirhana didn't use dynamic in engine sequences as their cutscenes and their loading screens. There is an instance in Gothic where it shows your character in Ore armor even if you aren't wearing it !!!

NWN and player freedom ---> Explain to me how PLOT marked NPC's allows for player freedom???? BTW marking an npc as PLOT in the toolset makes them invulnerable. ---> Why can't you ayttack Desther right when you suspect him of being the bad guy??? Why do you have to help Neverwinter??? ---> Side quests do not equal player freedom. Allowing the player to play their way is player freedom. KoTOR struck a decent balance between player freedom and tight nit storytelling (although was still quite linear). NWN was a ONE WAY OR THE HIGHWAY kind of game in absolute stark contrast to Morrowind.

Morrowind = player freedom, NWN = adventure on rails.

I never disregard story for graphics, but graphics (especially concerning your alter ego) are an important part of video games, regardless of genre. Developers that continue to shirk graphics will lose money.

I've been playing computer games since the original Zork (and role playing games on pen and paper even before that). I'm fully capable of using my imagination, so no graphics are not the entire game to me. However, today games are so expensive that they damn well better deliver something special if they intend to get my dollars or my praise.

Most stories = become the hero, save the land and numerous variations on this theme. Story anymore really doesn't outweigh gameplay features. Most stories have already been done and it seems like developers are not too willing to try new ideas so in this kind of environment gameplay mechanics, graphics, and character building become EQUALLY as important.

As for discussion, I'm all up for it I don't know why you got the idea I didn't want to dscuss my ideas. I just want people to be aware that we are talking opinion here ... we all have different taste right? I was trying to avoid the kind of finger pointing and confrontationalism you seem to want Hexy.
Post Sun Aug 24, 2003 10:33 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2