Fallout 3: Interview @ IGN
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Halsy
Village Leader
Village Leader

quote:
Bethesda is a great company that has made great RPG's. Morrowind was a great and beautiful game unlike junk like Gothic.

Oh my god, pal. Hit the crackpipe much? Gothic was 100 times a better game than Morrowind, and Gothic 2 1000 times better. Bethesda makes crappy CRPG's.

Daggerfall - huge, repetitive, shallow and boring
Morrowind - huge, repetitive, shallow and boring

The only thing I'll give Morrowind is that the game world was visually impressive. If had a real organic, living feel. The gameplay itself sucked ass though.
Post Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:26 pm
LightningTree

Fallout III

I expect the game to be very good. I'm not sure I share people's overriding catastrophic thinking.
Post Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:33 pm

jamey333
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Well... You know what they say about opinions.

Hell I think that pretty much all of the companies mentioned has had games that have not appealed to me for one reason or another. They have all also had ones that did appeal to me. What does that have to do with anything though?

To say that changing the view of the game will make it not a sequel is kind of silly to me. Don't you play RPGs for the story and atmosphere? If the story has the same feel as the others I will most likely enjoy it regardless of game mechanics.

I could care less what the game mechanics were. I would play it in any view. I wouldn't even care if they converted it D20, which we know won't happen anyway.

I am just very happy to get a good story set in the Fallout universe. I am sure that Bethesda can do that. Hell anyone could it is such a cool setting.

For an example outside of video games... Is the only good Star Wars story the ones written by George Lucas? I would say quite a few authors wrote books that blow the original stories away. It is a good thing I didn't blow off those books just because they weren't done the same way as the original. I certainly would have missed out on some very good stories of Rouge Squadron.

Saying it is going to suck just because who is doing it or the way they do it is pretty childish.

Hell you should just be happy that someone is resurrecting it at all and wait until you see what they do with it before you jump to judgment.

~Jamey
Post Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:48 pm

quote:
Does any of this sound familiar to anyone ? I remember some of the original material for what would have been a great ultima 9. Then they lost a bunch of people,changed the design, and we ended up with Ascension.

Man i had an immediate flashback when i read the first interviews yesterday, i really know what you mean...

B.
Post Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:07 pm

hoyp
High Emperor
High Emperor

Man... I think I'll go to a place where people are a bit more openminded.....
Post Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:41 pm
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land

quote:
Originally posted by jamey333
I could care less what the game mechanics were. I would play it in any view. I wouldn't even care if they converted it D20, which we know won't happen anyway.

I am just very happy to get a good story set in the Fallout universe. I am sure that Bethesda can do that. Hell anyone could it is such a cool setting.~Jamey

If it were this simple, then Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel wouldn't have bombed so badly. You may not think about game mechanics but they are critical. I'll bet there's more games you don't like because of the mechanics than because of a weak story.
Post Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:56 pm
Greyslayer
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Well, so much for giving Bethesda a chance. Man, I didn't think they could suck worse than after bordomwind but this takes the cake. You guys are wondering why they bothered to get this franchise if they are making a First Person AKA Morrowind with guns game? Same reason Spincterplay released BOS. They thought the name alone would sell their turd of a game. Bethesda, this is a disgrace!

Morrowind better than Gothic? LOL, Gothic is actually compelling enough to Play several times. Enjoyable from start to finish. Morrowind? I'd rather shovel cow sh** for a living @ $0.50 an hour than play that game ever again, or any other TES game. Incompetence is historically evident. It's like a prerequisite for Bethesda employees.
Post Wed Jul 14, 2004 4:03 am
guenthar
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Do you people really want Fallout 3 to be like every other rpg that comes out (which are all pretty much clones of fallout) or do you want something that is very much like Fallout but is unlike all the clones out there presently. The only real way to make Fallout 3 something other than another clone is to change how it looks and not just clone the previous games. I think it should be First Person because that is the best way of immersing yourself into the world and it really has never been done for a sci-fi single player rpg before. If the developers at Bethesda really like the Fallout games as much as they do don't you think that they would try to be as faithful to the previous games as possible.

Morrowind may not have been the perfect game (It was there first real modern rpg and also they did make a really good construction set) but along with mods it has been one of my most favorite games of all time. Morrowind is alot more realistic then those isometric third person games and they also have to put alot more work into making a good first person rpg then to make an isometric rpg since they can't just put less work into the visual portion of the game and also the player interaction has to have more work put into it.

PS. Unlike isometric rpgs at least you can get into the story and there is an atmosphere of a first person rpg. Game mechanics don't really depend at all on the perspective but on the people that decide to make them the way they do.

PPS. Most of you are very narrow minded people which like with all narrow minded people you are all essentially dead. (since things that don't change die out)
Post Wed Jul 14, 2004 8:31 am
Hindukönig
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

Morrowind was fun. Gothic was fun. Gothic 2 was, not so much like Gothic, but nevertheless: fun. So what? There is no "Gothic vs. Morrowind", because they're different genres. Gothic is more like an Action-Adventure-RPG-Mix in third-person-perspective with a small but lifelike world. Morrowind is a "true" RPG ("real" inventory, more skills, more character-costumizing), in first-person-perspective (with a optional 3rd-person-mode that kinda sucks when fighting) and a big, big world, which you can easily modificate with the TES-Construction-Kit.

Morrowind and Gothic both are atmospherical. Both need(ed) enormous hardware. Both are worth their price.

So what?
Post Wed Jul 14, 2004 8:45 am
Kendrik
Thin Blue Line
Thin Blue Line

Oh my god - how has this tread turned in to a Morrowinf v's Gothic thread (yet again). Same old argument

Poster 1: Morrowind Rocks, Gothic Sucks!
Poster 2: No you newb Morrowind suck Gothic Rocks u r not a real RPGer if u like morrowind

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I know which I prefer but I'm willing to accept that other people may not like the other game but what has this got to do with Fallout 3.

So Bethesda seem to be suggesting that F3 will not be isometic and may be first person to be honest I suspect it will be more likely to be "Morrowind-like" where it can be first/third person but obviously it can't be a good game with a good stroy line if it differs from the 10 year old graphics engine that was use for 1/2. Sheesh both Gothic and Morrowind use 3rd person and most people on these boards worship at one of those game alters. So please give them a break - would you rather we had no Fallout 3 - it is going to be different from 1/2 graphics wise but it can still have the feeling of the classic games. Hell it may even be better because it may be more immersive (mutters from the back row bah mumble mumble NEVER better than the first two bah.) I loved the first two games and I for one am happy that we will be getting a third outing and I think we should be happy that a company like Bethesda are at least going to give us the hope of a brand spanking new adventure. I'm sure Troika could have done it too but er..... people it wouldn't be a isometic game with them either - Arcanum was but Vampire won't be so does this mean Vampire will be a rubbish RPG?

Lets just stop the hysteria and see what happens you know sometimes I wonder is people want this game to fail or suceed - do you want the chance for anthoer grand adventure or you you want to sit there smuggly in a years time saying "I told you so this game will suck like morrowind, and we all know that morrowinid sucks big time not like uber Gothic"

Er....... phew /rant off. That's better - lets just give peace a chance (for "peace" read Bethesda's take on the fallout genre)
~~Champion of the (Unofficial) RPGdot Text Signature Contest 2002~~
Post Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:25 am
jski

Hey Guenthor, not to go off on a totally pointless tangent,but the mosquito has seen the dinosaurs come and go and has not changed a whole lot. Your hippie,sunshine,bs where everybody should win is very cute,but if you knew anything about life (or history for that matter),you would know that more often than not, change destroys,not saves. Open-mindedness has never been a factor.
That being said, we have every right to be concerned about the developer of a game that many of us have been waiting years for. Honestly,I thought Morrowind was ok (good looking/open ended,but crappy game play). Other than that,they have never really put out a compelling product. Why even start over when `van buren` was reportedly close to being finished ? Everytime I see this kind of situation, I see a ton of people say"come on guys,just keep an open mind and give them a chance". How many times have we ended up with a good product from these poor abused multi million dollar software developers?
And I know there are alot of grammer and punctuation errors in this.whatever.
Post Wed Jul 14, 2004 1:57 pm

Pinky's Brain
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by jamey333
For an example outside of video games... Is the only good Star Wars story the ones written by George Lucas? I would say quite a few authors wrote books that blow the original stories away. It is a good thing I didn't blow off those books just because they weren't done the same way as the original. I certainly would have missed out on some very good stories of Rouge Squadron.

And did they change the way the force works?

Vampire is a new game, ask Tim if he would make Arcanum2 or Fallout3 in first person given the choice.
Post Wed Jul 14, 2004 5:45 pm
DarkPhantom
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I liked FO not only because of the great storyline but also because it was turn-based and had an isometric view. Forgive me if I'm not as open-minded as everyone else who thinks that it will not be bad if it's 1st-person. Hey, I had my share of good time with 1st person RPGs, but for this one, I expect to have the same style. That doesn't mean I'm narrow minded, it only means I have a taste of my own and I know what I like.

When I saw that Interplay was shutting down BI studios, I was eager to see who would grab the FO franchise. Time passed and I thought that it would die with Interplay. Now, Bethesda buys it. I always expected to see Bioware buying it and developing it internally or giving it to Obsidian. So, this came as a double shock. The first because of the previously stated reason. The second because Bethesda has no experience creating RPGs like FO (in a matter of style). I'm not willing to see them fail, but I'm worried because I just feel I'll never have the FO 3 I would like to see and play.
Post Thu Jul 15, 2004 12:49 am
guenthar
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
When I saw that Interplay was shutting down BI studios, I was eager to see who would grab the FO franchise.

At least Fallout 3 is going to be released unlike another (would have been great if there was a sequal) game called Planescape Torment, which was one of my all time favorite games.

quote:
Vampire is a new game

Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines is actually a sequal to Vampire the Masquerade: Redemption and is using a fp view rather then the 3rd person view that the first one uses and is also not the same as the previous game.
Post Thu Jul 15, 2004 5:14 am
Dhruin

Vampire: Bloodlines a sequel? It's no more a sequel than ToEE is to Baldur's Gate because it uses a D&D license.
Post Thu Jul 15, 2004 6:52 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next