Usergroups
Gothic or Wizardry 8?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
Maggot
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

That's bloody damn expensive. I live on a damn island in the middle of nowhere, and I can get most games for around 50$ (unless I elect to order from overseas, but there is hardly a point since most games ship here within a week from either American or European release (except perhaps with Arcanum, which got it's release date mangled up))
Post Fri Oct 19, 2001 9:40 am
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

If, you wait a month or two more for an European publisher to distribute the game, you can get it for around 50$ also in my local stores. But some good titles never get a worldwide release. I guess you can save a few bucks buying the game directly from worldwide internet dealers, but it's a matter of trust.
Maggot: Not to indicate anything, but at the time the games reach Iceland, you may already find a game in a bargain bin else where!
Post Fri Oct 19, 2001 10:50 am
Maggot
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

Well, that's only with Arcanum, I think, and only because the local supplier didn't notice when they changed the release date from November to August. Diablo II, for instance, was released here at the same time as in the U.S. People queued up outside stores before opening hours and everything.

But well, we miss out a lot on the European scene, especially german games that don't make it to an american publisher.
Post Fri Oct 19, 2001 11:03 am
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

I can mention "Demise", never reached my country. "Seadogs", only overseas imported (80$). "Myst III". Over 3 month before it reached my hometown from the US release through normal imports. "Diciples" also over 3 month.
Actually I fear I have to wait for "Wizardry 8" into year 2002 before it reach europe, if it ever get distributed outside North America! Or I can pay the price for an overseas trade, if I can't wait!
Post Fri Oct 19, 2001 11:18 am
Garrett

I have to disagree on the 100$ price for imported games. I paid 100$, but only for special editions like Ultima 9 Dragon Edition (actually it was 90$) or the PoR2 Collectors Edition (100$).
All the other imported games cost me ~ 60$ at my local shop.
Post Fri Oct 19, 2001 2:58 pm

Wizardry 8
But I am still curious who the publisher is.
Post Fri Oct 19, 2001 8:40 pm

Hawkwind
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:

On 2001-10-17 12:26, Raldor wrote:
Wizardry 8 for me, without a doubt. I haven't been this excited since I was a kid.

I had been drooling in anticipation about Wizardry 8 long before I ever heard of Gothic. Like most people here, I'll buy both.
quote:

Gothic looks great too, but Wizardry is my favorite style of game.

Mine, too. It's my understanding that Wiz 8 will use a unique style of combat - something in between turn-based & real-time combat? Regardless it sounds great. I have never played any of the previous Wizardry releases....

==Hawkwind==

Post Sat Oct 20, 2001 9:07 pm

I have just rung several of the main mail order game software suppliers in the UK and not one has even heard of Wizardy 8, let alone got a release date (not even TBA).

Looks like we are in for a long wait here, so I am about to pre-order from Amazon.com.

BTW Gothic vs wiz 8...got to be wiz 8
Post Sun Oct 21, 2001 6:35 pm

Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

I hope they release a collector's edition with Wizardry 1-8. I would buy it almost regardless the prize. I have seen no wizardry game in my local stores in many years!
Post Mon Oct 22, 2001 7:49 am
Raldor
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

That would be nice. I'd probably buy it too even though I already have the Wizardry Archives. Considering how old the rest of the games are, I wouldn't think it would be a problem to put them out with the new release.
Post Mon Oct 22, 2001 1:59 pm
Althalus
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

EASILY gothic.

But I might have to get wiz8 anyway.
Post Fri Nov 02, 2001 3:47 am
Hawkwind
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Wizardry 8 has ARRIVED! And it is superb! Been playing it like crazy all weekend, and I do like it a lot. I find the monsters gang up on you a bit, though. In one spot, I walked around a corner to find an assortment of them totalling about 15 or 16! The combat is very good, though - the interface takes some getting used to, but it's quite versatile.

I will probably play Gothic at some point, but 3rd-person isn't usually my cup of tea. I like First-Person. And I like having a party of characters versus just the one.

==Hawkwind==
Post Mon Nov 19, 2001 5:25 am

Hi fellow UK'er...

I spent all w/e trying to get Wizardry 8 for Xmas after reading the review on gamespot. It seems that Amazon (and other Games retailers) are not allowed to ship things like games internationally!! Law 'n order don'cha know?

I eventually ended up at Electronics Boutique cust service and spoke to someone who (claimed) to have heard of it.. anyway he reconed that it has a feb 2002 release date in the UK. So, I guess I have to wait unless anyone finds another source.

The previous wizardry games have passed me by because I didn't own a PC until 1995.. Have loved Dungeon Master and EotB 1&2 on the Amiga + Ultima Underworlds, Daggerfall, and more recently BG2 on the PC. This looks closer to a real RPG with a First Person perspective that anything else I have seen, so I have to play it!!

I have spent a bit of time reading interviews with the developers and reading about the publishing probs - leading to no more games from this maddly talented and enthusiastic team!! bugger...

Such a shame, but I hope that some pub house sees sales figures of this game and sorts it out, instead of just buying the 'name rights' and getting a 'hack' dev team to turn the handle and produce 'crap, but crap with the right name' like so many games these days (e.g. Wolfenstein)

Andy.

quote:

On 2001-10-21 13:35, Anonymous wrote:
I have just rung several of the main mail order game software suppliers in the UK and not one has even heard of Wizardy 8, let alone got a release date (not even TBA).
Looks like we are in for a long wait here, so I am about to pre-order from Amazon.com.

BTW Gothic vs wiz 8...got to be wiz 8

Post Tue Dec 11, 2001 4:09 pm

thanakar
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I bought Wizardry 8 two weeks ago and picked up Gothic last week after Wizardy 8 got a bit slow so now I'm playing them both!
Post Tue Dec 11, 2001 4:21 pm
txiabxyooj
Fox Spirit
Fox Spirit

gothic. wizardry 8 is awful.

"The origin of things, if things have an origin, cannot be revealed to me, if revealed at all, until I have travelled very far from it, and many revolutions of the sun must precede my first dawn. The light as it appears hides the candle." --Santayana
=member of the worshippers of the written word=
=member of the Non-flamers' guild=
Post Tue Dec 11, 2001 10:23 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next