Usergroups
Ten things I love about Gothic.
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
Olgerth Heidern
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

1. The old-skool detail level. Where else can you skin, and declaw creatures and then chop them up for meat, too?

2. The voiceovers. It's refreshing to see EVERYONE talk, even though some people sound, ahem, strange.

3. The living, breathing world. Everyone does something, and that is cool.

4. The freedom. Go anywhere you can go (but no guarantees that you'll live).

5. The fact that you can make stuff. Hell, grilling meat is good; making swords is just too cool, even if the swords are crappy.

6. The fact that you can take your frustrations out on people and not ruin the game.

7. The fact that the people remember you taking your frustrations out on them and kiss your arse later.

8. The weed and the fact that you can peddle it. There's something about hearing a huge guy in plate armor say "Kom bahk anytime, brudda!" like a genuine rasta. Plus, five minutes after you sell them weed, you can watch them smoke out... hhehe.

9. The way the charged spells are handled. I could almost hear The Convict yell "SHINKUU... HADOUKEN!!" when I fired my first charged fireball.

10. The ease of editing your character. I am partial to a bit of cheatin', and if the game makes it easier for me, I'm all up for it.

We fight because we must.
Post Sat Feb 23, 2002 4:07 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

quote:

On 2002-02-23 10:07, Olgerth Heidern wrote:
1. The old-skool detail level. Where else can you skin, and declaw creatures and then chop them up for meat, too?

I agree
quote:

2. The voiceovers. It's refreshing to see EVERYONE talk, even though some people sound, ahem, strange.

I agree
quote:

3. The living, breathing world. Everyone does something, and that is cool.

I agree
quote:

4. The freedom. Go anywhere you can go (but no guarantees that you'll live).

I agree
quote:

5. The fact that you can make stuff. Hell, grilling meat is good; making swords is just too cool, even if the swords are crappy.

I agree
quote:

6. The fact that you can take your frustrations out on people and not ruin the game.

I agree
quote:

7. The fact that the people remember you taking your frustrations out on them and kiss your arse later.

I agree
quote:

8. The weed and the fact that you can peddle it. There's something about hearing a huge guy in plate armor say "Kom bahk anytime, brudda!" like a genuine rasta. Plus, five minutes after you sell them weed, you can watch them smoke out... hhehe.

I agree
quote:

9. The way the charged spells are handled. I could almost hear The Convict yell "SHINKUU... HADOUKEN!!" when I fired my first charged fireball.

I agree
quote:

10. The ease of editing your character. I am partial to a bit of cheatin', and if the game makes it easier for me, I'm all up for it.

I do not know if I agree with this :smile:

[ This Message was edited by: Danicek on 2002-02-23 10:42 ]
Post Sat Feb 23, 2002 4:42 pm

how do u grill meat?
Post Sat Feb 23, 2002 6:18 pm

Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

pan on fire + meat in inventory
use that pan and your meat will change to "grilled meat" and this grilled meat has bigger healing power than raw meat.
Post Sat Feb 23, 2002 6:21 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

quote:

how do u grill meat?

Get close to a campfire with a frying pan on it. When it is highlighted use your action button and your character will kneel before the fire. Hit the up arrow key and your char will start grilling meat. Continue hitting the up arrow key to grill all your meat.
Post Sat Feb 23, 2002 6:23 pm
WHITE x CHOCO
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

wow so many things im learning now after im already done wiht the game...the manual was seriously to vague.
Post Fri Mar 01, 2002 1:22 am
Mr. Bojangles
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:

On 2002-02-28 19:22, WHITE x CHOCO wrote:
wow so many things im learning now after im already done wiht the game...the manual was seriously to vague.

i agree, the manual needs an overhaul. there is a walkthru available tho that helps with problems but is also vague enough to leave surprises.
Post Fri Mar 01, 2002 4:32 am

I just went out and bought a new video card, and finally got this game working right. But, I cannot figure out how to talk to people or pick things up? The action button doesn't do it, and I don't see any other button on the "keyboard" screen for these thing. Somebody help.
E-mail to miahallen@yahoomail.com
Post Fri Mar 01, 2002 4:42 am

Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Action button (left mouse) plus forward key.

Post Fri Mar 01, 2002 5:51 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

I didn't touch my mouse the entire time I played Gothic.

It wasn't built for it... but my left pinky finger hurt from holding down control all the time.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Fri Mar 01, 2002 5:56 am
Darnalak
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

I didn't use the mouse at all either, I s'pose with proper time mouseplay may have been a bonus, but I did well enough without it.

BTW, when doing something that has a movement graphic (Cooking meat, Smithing a sword) You don't have to wait for the graphic to complete, to make the next one, you can just spam the action key. IE: super heat your swords, Flash cook your meat... speedsharpen your sword... etc etc.

Darnalak,
The Necromancer

PS: has anyone actually waited through the entire cooking graphic?! it takes forever!
Post Fri Mar 01, 2002 2:29 pm
Olgerth Heidern
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Is there any point to sharpening swords? I thought it was just a way to intimidate people (hehehehe)

Post Fri Mar 01, 2002 2:37 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

You don't sharpen a sword. When blacksmithing you sharpen a blade to create a crude sword.
Post Fri Mar 01, 2002 5:40 pm
Darnalak
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

Right, which jacks up the price you can sell it for

Darnalak,
The Necromancer
Post Fri Mar 01, 2002 6:34 pm
Olgerth Heidern
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Yes, but it prevents you from stacking the blades on top of one another, which could be a problem when you carry 6400 of them

Post Fri Mar 01, 2002 8:11 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next