Usergroups
top 10 rpgs of all time
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
ShadowWolfe
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Location: In the northern mountains of the western continent.

1.Gothic
2.Baldurs Gate
3.Neverwinter Nights
4.Thief 2
5.Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain (for PC)
6.Ice Wind Dale
7.Daggerfall
8.Ultima Underworld
9.Deus EX
10.System Shock 2

.: Amd XP 2700+
.: Geforce FX 5900 Ultra
.: 1024mb DDr pc2700
.: 120GB UDMA 7200 RPM 2MB WD
.: 2 LG LCD Screens @ 19" Viewing
Post Fri Apr 04, 2003 7:26 pm
KIA
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Top ten...

Here's my $0.02 - of course since it's been compounding with interest over twenty years or so, that should be... er... math was never my strong suit. Just tell me how many GP I get from the corpse!

Party-Based CRPG:

1. Darklands - world class character generation system, background, etc. Truly old-school but waaay ahead of its time. Really love to see this remade with modern tech.

2. Icewind Dale I - If you played it, you know. Otherwise a fun party romp against bad guys.

3. Thunderscape: World of Aden - More arcane game which was not a top seller, but interesting skill and combat system which provided truly useful tactics rather than just hack-and-slash.

4. Jagged Alliance 2 - Wait! I know. Purists will protest that this isn't a "true" rpg. Pick it up and play it. There's a "Gold" pack out now, should cost $15.00 to $20.00. You will grow to love the characters in it, the tech toys are cool and who can resist launching a Light Antitank Weapon into a crowd of enemies, then raking them with a HK21E machine gun, throwing stun grenades, then closing to cap them off with small arms while your characters provide quips andcommentary about the enemy, each other and the ways in which your foes die? Hmm?

5. Planescape: Torment. While I was a very tiny bit disappointed by the linearity of the game, it is still the pinnacle of Black Isle craftsmanship.

6. Fallout I and II. Unbelievably huge games with more quests than you can shake a stick at, dark humor and cool destructive toys, these games define the post-apocalyptic genre.

7. Final Fantasy VII. While I'm not a fan of console-based games (primarily because they tend to be totally linear, have limited save points, etc.) this game was a work of art which has the ability to make you THINK. Not so much for in-game decisions, but outside of the game which is a true accomplishment. Also, some of the in-game events are so beautiful, so sad and so awe-inspiring that I classify the game as a work of art.

Single-Character Games

1. System Shock I. The all-time winner of everything good and right with RPGs, this game was creepy, funny, scary, adrenaline-producing and generally AWESOME. Find a dos-box, boot it up and go toe-to-toe with SHODAN!!!

2. Deus Ex. Immersive world with multiple problem-solving paths. Play as a sneaker, a destroyer, a pacifist, hand-to-hand, sniper, techie, whatever. Can't wait for DX2.

3. Diablo I. There may never be such a revolutionary game with (at the time) beautiful graphics, fun gameplay and that lurking sense of dread as you went lower and lower into the catacombs that this time, you might not make it back...

4. Morrowind. My sole complaint here is one which is similar to my beef with Ultima IX, System Shock 2 and others: the characters all tend to become similar as the game progresses. This means that whatever racial differences (or class differences or astrological differences) you have at the beginning of the game become less pronounced as the game progresses until there are only minimal differences near the finale of the game. So why bother with any differences in the first place if they are temporary or largely illusory?

5. Anvil of Dawn - Again, not a best-seller, but an interesting approach to a single-character RPG. Neat game.

6. Master of Magic. Okay, this is really stretching things a bit, but this game was so spectacularly awesome that it has to be included. You play a wizard overseeing different heroes and armies, etc. Really a 4x game with RPG elements, but it holds an eternal place in the list of Things A Game Should Be.
Post Thu Apr 10, 2003 5:57 pm
ArcturusXIV
City Guard
City Guard

Right on with the mention of Thunderscape! I love that game!

You can download it for free from the Underdogs, but I recommend watching the cutscene. The echoing voices are k00l.
"Madness is the first step towards unselfishness. Be mad and tell us what is behind the veil of 'sanity'. The purpose of life is to bring us closer to those secrets, and madness is the only means." --Kahlil Gibran
Post Thu Apr 10, 2003 11:02 pm
sharp
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

1. Final Fantasy VI
2. Xenogears
3. Wizardry 8
4. Gothic
5. Morrowind
6. Divine Divinity
7. Baldur's Gate
8. Baldur's Gate 2
9. Deus Ex
10. Xenosaga
Post Tue Apr 15, 2003 2:23 am
Delo
City Guard
City Guard

1. Ultima VIII

2. Gothic

I post no others because they are dwarved under the immense greatness of these two games. You all can understand....
Post Mon Apr 21, 2003 2:22 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Erm... Don't you mean Ultima VII? Pagan was a glorified jumping puzzle.
Post Mon Apr 21, 2003 5:18 am
Delo
City Guard
City Guard

Nope. I most certainly mean Ultima VIII: Pagan. Where the Guardian drops you into the lake and Devon rescues you from drowning. I would not mistake my favorite RPG of all time. I wish more people could appreciate more than they do. I never played the game to play through it. I collected things and decorated myself a mansion. The most glorious piece of architecture in all Tenebrae. But enough of that, I don't want anyone to think im spammin' here.
Post Mon Apr 21, 2003 7:43 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Sorry, but I found the jumping puzzles in the game very annoying. Perhaps it was because my computer was slower than molasses at the time. I just couldn't get into it. It didn't suck me into the gameworld the way previous Ultimas had.
Post Mon Apr 21, 2003 8:09 am
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

I agree with Val, Ultima 8 was probably a bigger disappointment than Ultima 9. I actually enjoyed most of 9 since it worked well on my machine. Ultima vii was the greatest creation prior to PS-T. With UU2 mixed in there somewhere. I HATE jumping puzzles. All I remember of U8, was jump, jump, miss, die, re-load, repeat ad nauseum!!

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Mon Apr 21, 2003 8:41 am
Dios
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Naah..

Even if I haven't played all ten million Ultima games, so who cares?

1 Baldurs Gate, the original and best.

2 Baldurs Gate 2, better than the original but, you get to powerful in the end.

3 Might & Magic 6 What can I say? Huge...

For the rest you might wonder, well they'll come...
Post Tue Apr 22, 2003 10:17 pm
Hexy
High Emperor
High Emperor

Hmmm... lemme see...

1. Baldur's Gate - Everything right about an CRPG. With multiplayer!

2. Baldur's Gate 2 - Lacked the ammount of wilderness areas and dungeons it's predecessor had. Although, the story was great!

3. Arcanum - Great concept, although poorly executed. But great mod-building, and multiplayer!

4. Deathknights of Krynn - Like Champions of Krynn but better, more levels etc. I haven't tried Queen of Krynn yet, though. Not a very good game by today's standards (as with most old rpgs), but it gives me teh nostalgia.

5. Deus Ex - Good FPS RPG, at least compared to the System Shock series.

6. IceWind Dale - Good Hack'n'Slash, with a so-so story.

7. Diablo 2 - Not very fun in SP, but it was really fun playing on Bnet until it was destroyed due to duping and imbalances. But good diversity etc. especially with the expansion.

8. IceWind Dale 2 - Good Hack'n'Slash, good story, but a bit too much of the same 'ol.

9. Daggerfall - This with Morrowind graphics would have been = ownage.

10. FF 2 - The only FF game with ANY resemblance to Role Playing.
Post Thu Apr 24, 2003 6:23 am
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

quote:
Originally posted by Dios

3 Might & Magic 6 What can I say? Huge...

Hurray! Some one with some sense! Welcome to the, very small, M&M fan club!
Post Thu Apr 24, 2003 1:07 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

quote:
Originally posted by Hexy
FF 2 - The only FF game with ANY resemblance to Role Playing.
I should check it out then... it would be the first CRPG* ever with a resemblance to role playing.
Post Thu Apr 24, 2003 7:14 pm
vini_lessa
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

1 - Phantasy Star 1, 4 (Master System, Genesis)
2 - Fallout 1, 2
3 - Ultima 4
4 - Darklands
5 - Daggerfall
6 - System Shock 1, 2
7 - Final Fantasy 3
8 - Ultima 7
9 - Might & Magic 7
10-Arcanum
Post Fri Apr 25, 2003 6:23 pm
TrUmaNshO
Keeper of the Gates