questions about character/classes
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Neverwinter Nights - General

Author Thread
Taxen0
Higher Emperor
Higher Emperor

questions about character/classes

hi, i have a few questions about characters.
1 how many different classes can you choose? and wath is the higest lvl?
2 wath is the class/classes ?

Try this great game now!
http://www.warriors2.com/default.asp?referedby=163834
http://www.regno.se/default.asp?bonusfrom=3111
Post Mon Apr 26, 2004 7:38 am
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

1. The highest level is 40 if you have HotU, otherwise it is 20, and you can only have 3 classes - DANG IT ALL - I found out the hard way.

2. I am not sure what you are asking in #2. Please try that one again
Post Mon Apr 26, 2004 1:16 pm
Taxen0
Higher Emperor
Higher Emperor

1. is it lvl 40 (yes i have HotU) in every class or the classes all together?
2. i meant to say, wath is the best class/classes? (i only forgot one little word )

Try this great game now!
Post Mon Apr 26, 2004 3:54 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

1. The level cap applies to all classes together. It is the 'new' D&D approach. You do not have a L 10 Fighter/L 8 thief instead you have an 18th level character with 10 levels in figher and 8 in thief.

2. As to the best class ... that is a matter of opinion. But here is what I have gleaned: At the start fighter types rule ... they slowly get displaced until the spell casters dominate (around L14 or so). But then a funny thing happens on the way to the Epic levels, and the fighters types begin to rule again.

But as to 'best' class - it is all a matter of personal style and taste. I tend towards the head bashers myself - but handsome is as handsome does, or something like that. I can see the appeal of playing a Sorc 'specially with the Dragon Disciple option, but have never had the patience to complete one. Too much resting to regen spell capacity *grin*
Post Mon Apr 26, 2004 4:04 pm
konny666
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Role-playing is about playing the class you could see yourself being, if you were a gifted, exceptional individual in a fantasy world. So if you've dreamed of yourself being an Aragorn of Gondor, then you would pick Fighter (/Ranger/Paladin). If you've always wanted to be a Gimli, then Fighter or Dwarven Defender. If Gandalf's your man, then Wizard it is, unless you're one of those who thinks Gando's actually a *cleric*.

In the official campaigns, you will do fine with any character class except for Bard (or Harper Scout).

Also, stay away from multi-classes which don't complement each other - such as Fighter/Wizard. Either a Fighter10 or Wizard10 could EAT FOR BREAKFAST a Fighter-5/Wizard-5 in any of the OC's.

(Multi-classing is choosing several classes for your character instead of just one. One reliable multi-class is Fighter X/Rogue 3. The first 3 levels of Rogue provide some of the best abilities of that class).

---

Right now, I'm trying a class combo which is particularly weak starting out. Druid/Shifter. The first 4 levels were a bit on the painful side; useless spells and a badly chosen animal companion (regular Wolf) didn't help. At level 5 I gave in to my powergamer instinct and switched to the Panther (4d6 sneak attack!) and I also got Call Lightning and Wild Shape. Battles which needed several reloads just 50XP points ago are now a piece of cake:

- Before battle buff using Bull's Strength, Barkskin, and Magic Fang on yourself and the Panther.
- Then, 2 x Call Lightning before the enemy reaches you.
- Once the enemy reaches you, shapeshift to Brown Bear.
- SPLAT, BANG, THUD. The boss and his cronies are all dead.

(Xen: Shifter opinions?)
Post Mon Apr 26, 2004 7:04 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

@Konny666 - Druid is one I've been sorely tempted to try ... sounds like fun, is it? The only reason I've never gone through with it is I really like the Cleric ability to blow off a spell for a healing spell. The druids can not do this (though don't they have an spontaneous cast for summoning spells from one of the expansions?).
Post Mon Apr 26, 2004 7:17 pm
Taxen0
Higher Emperor
Higher Emperor

ok, thanks guys.
now i desided to play the HotU with a chaotic evil elf, who is a ranger/AA.
but i cant choose the AA when i lvl up.
i have the weapon focus on longbow, i am an elf, i have point blank shot.
but how do i get that 6+ base attack thing?

Try this great game now!
Post Mon Apr 26, 2004 8:12 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

You need to have 6 levels of fighter or 8 levels (or something like that) of bard, or 12 levels or so of Wizard. Or some combination there of. Look at the tables in the back of the NWN manual for more details.
Post Mon Apr 26, 2004 8:15 pm
konny666
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

quote:
Originally posted by Taxen0
ok, thanks guys.
now i desided to play the HotU with a chaotic evil elf, who is a ranger/AA.
but i cant choose the AA when i lvl up.
i have the weapon focus on longbow, i am an elf, i have point blank shot.
but how do i get that 6+ base attack thing?

The easiest and most common way to become an Arcane Archer is:

- Take 6 levels of Ranger, then
- Take 1 level of Wizard

Then, the "Arcane Archer" option will become available to you. Have fun!

Also note that you need an Intelligence of at least 11 to take a level of Wizard.
Post Mon Apr 26, 2004 8:41 pm
Taxen0
Higher Emperor
Higher Emperor

do you mean table 13 (p179) "base saves and base attacks for all classes"?

there it stands that fighters and rangers will have a base attack at lvl 6. my character (ranger) was at lvl15

Try this great game now!
Post Mon Apr 26, 2004 8:45 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

@Konny - Why a level of wizard? Why not Soc or Bard (Bard would be more useful I would think).

@Taxen0 - Yes that is the table. Dunno why you didn't make it as a L15 ranger ... did you have any arcane spell caster classes, like wiz or soc or bard?

Edit: Okay I just checked. The requirements are:

1. Elf or 1/2 Elf
2. Base attack bonus of +6
3. Point blank shot and weapon focus Long or Short Bow.
4. Ability to cast arcane spells .. dunno if bard counts ... wiz and soc do, but ranger does not.
Post Mon Apr 26, 2004 8:56 pm
konny666
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

quote:
Originally posted by Lintra
@Konny666 - Druid is one I've been sorely tempted to try ... sounds like fun, is it? The only reason I've never gone through with it is I really like the Cleric ability to blow off a spell for a healing spell. The druids can not do this

Well, if you're playing a single player campaign or mod, see if you can take a cleric henchman. Solves your healing problem. You are correct, however, Druids cannot "spontaneously Heal". With multiplayer this shouldn't even be an issue...

Druids in the InfinityEngine games (both 2E and 3E) were a bit more powerful than NWN Druids(*), I think. Still, NWN Druids get access to the "old faithfuls" like Call Lightning (superior to 3rd level Wizard Fireball), Flame Strike (get that 1 level before clerics), Sleep (great vs. low-level mobs of Orcs, Goblins). Anyways, my view is that Druids are less of a "pure support character" and more of a hybrid support/frontliner/artillery. The Shifter prestige class makes them even better at this. Thing is, you have to play them smart, i.e. knowing when to tackle a situation as a spell-thrower, when to be a fighter (and possibly shapechange), etc.

It's more fun than always running at your enemies and clobbering them to death, which gets boring in NWN after the first 15 minutes. I never play straight Fighters anymore - or if I do, it'll be as an Archer. Hit n' Run tactics are also fun.

I've always gotten intense satisfaction in NWN from using a spell to "blow up" an enemy rather than just kill them using a mundane tool. Dunno, maybe thats just me.

quote:
(though don't they have an spontaneous cast for summoning spells from one of the expansions?)

Hmm, don't know anything about this. I don't use Summons with my current Druid, though. My animal companion and henchman are enough, and having too many allies can lower your XP awards.

(*) SMASHING WAVE from IWD2 is the best spell ever! It's insane! *(&(*&*(!!
Post Mon Apr 26, 2004 9:02 pm
konny666
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

quote:
@Konny - Why a level of wizard? Why not Soc or Bard (Bard would be more useful I would think)

Err, because Wizard is the favored class for Elves? Dunno, thats the only reason I could come up with. The build I posted was a sort of "rule of thumb" for Arcane Archers, I've never actually questioned it.

Hmm, Xen needs to see this thread and say something.
Post Mon Apr 26, 2004 9:05 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

quote:
Originally posted by konny666
... My animal companion and henchman are enough, and having too many allies can lower your XP awards.

Even summoned allies? You sure? If so, then my wizard strategty just took a good blow (I've never used it) but it seems pretty smart to summon a beastie, carry a big familiar and call yourself an army with fire support and henchies be damned!

Edit: Oh. Yeah. Favored classes. That could be a BIG difference!!!

♪ Oh Xen ♪
Post Mon Apr 26, 2004 9:07 pm
konny666
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by konny666
... My animal companion and henchman are enough, and having too many allies can lower your XP awards.

Even summoned allies? You sure? If so, then my wizard strategty just took a good blow (I've never used it) but it seems pretty smart to summon a beastie, carry a big familiar and call yourself an army with fire support and henchies be damned!

No, I'm not sure. I'll test it out when I start up NWN in 10 minutes and let you know.

quote:
Edit: Oh. Yeah. Favored classes. That could be a BIG difference!!!

Yup, 'tis important to keep track of your race and favored class for this very reason.
Post Mon Apr 26, 2004 9:12 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next