Console vs PC return on investment
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Absolutely Off Topic

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land

Console vs PC return on investment

First off, this thread isn't intended as a generic console-bash (though they can be fun ).

Feargus Urquhart (ex Black Isle president, now Obsidian - probably working on KotOR2) has posted some interesting comments in the RPG Codex forums about console/PC sales vs costs of development.

quote:
2) All console games require about a $10 licensing fee, which includes your packaging and DVDs. This can be two to five times the cost of packaging for a PC. When the Whole Sale Price is around $36 (most people will say $40, but I've never found that to be true with all the special dealing that happens). The PC game can start out 20% ahead on the actual net cash you get.

Interesting, no?
Post Sat Jan 03, 2004 1:42 am
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

Interesting post by Feargus. But it still didn't provides complete picture of current rise of console games/gaming. If the PC game can gets more profit than developing a console game, why Interplay and Ion Storm also jumped on the console bandwagon?.

It's just another "pendulum swing" between console and PC game markets?

Another possible reason, i think, is when developer making a game, they always prefer bigger market for their products. E.g, if you can sell a same title/game in more than one type of market - it's certainly better (PC & console[s]; like GTA: Vice City and DXIW, 2/3/4 markets in one title/project development). The cost is smaller, you share contents (thus console-like quality in texture, cut-scene, user-interface/control, etc can be found in PC version) and manpower developing one title for multiple markets.

But that didn't explain company like Interplay now (almost/temporary?) only developing console games.
Post Sat Jan 03, 2004 2:51 am
Dhruin

You're right, it didn't.

Feargus has commented on this topic (briefly) before. My interpretation is that there's several financial hurdles to overcome with console development whereas a small studio can potentially start a PC project with minimal expense (and perhaps at least get a tech-demo up and go shopping for a publisher.

With the consolidation of the industry, console entry costs aren't an issue for the big publishers who want to chase the biggest numbers possible. I guess Blizzard, id, Valve and so on are doing big enough numbers without the costs of console licensing to worry about it.
Post Sat Jan 03, 2004 7:45 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Not only finacial hurdles. Sony, MS and Nintendo do not sell dev kits to small developers. Without a proven track record you can only go through one of the bigger publishers. Of course those have a strong negotiation position because devs are replaceable.
The console manufacturers are only interested in mass market products.
Post Sat Jan 03, 2004 6:45 pm
TheMadGamer
High Emperor
High Emperor

bleh

licensing fees are a cost hurdle for the console market.

But over the years, I've heard a lot of b!tching by developers regarding Q.A. costs for PCs given the huge amounts of different PC peripherals out there.
Post Mon Jan 05, 2004 8:25 pm
Joeman
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Exactly. Console games didn't require hardware support, but PC sure hell does. That adds to the cost for those extra engineers, programmers, technicians, ....

If you make a game for xbox and afterwards try to port it to PC in a half-assed fashion without much testing, like Deus Ex 2 for example, you get loads of hardware errors. According to an online poll I saw, the game so far is totally unplayable for 20% of PC users. They don't even support gforce4 MX cards. I was in shock when I saw that considering how common it is. That game has been a huge disappointment. Not only that, the game is super short. People finish the game between 7-10 hours.
Post Mon Jan 05, 2004 10:49 pm
Dhruin

DX:IW was disappointing but don't blame it for not supporting GF4 MX cards - they don't have a Texture & Lighting engine (T&L) and are essentially a reworked GF2 card. They're completely below par for today's games and lots of games don't support them.
Post Tue Jan 06, 2004 8:38 am
goshuto
Wanderer
Wanderer

quote:
Originally posted by Dhruin
DX:IW was disappointing but don't blame it for not supporting GF4 MX cards - they don't have a Texture & Lighting engine (T&L) and are essentially a reworked GF2 card. They're completely below par for today's games and lots of games don't support them.

[whisper] pssst, Dhruin, they do have hardware transform & lighting. What they lack are the pixel shaders.
Post Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:38 am
Dhruin

Just like I said - they don't have pixel shaders...bugger, long day etc etc. What the hell was I thinking? Thanks, goshuto.

Despite my ridiculous slip the point remains - the MX440 etc doesn't really cut it for latest generation games.
Post Tue Jan 06, 2004 12:34 pm