Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
I finished Gothic(10 times). I am now ready for a mmorpg.
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
NecroDancer
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

I hated Dungeons and Dragons and all RPG's. But that all changed when I tried the Gothic Demo.
I bought the game, now I can't pry myself loose from it. After finising it in every way possible, I now feel I may be ready for that MMORPG thingy.

Can someone kindly suggest one? I tried to stay away from those online games like C&C and Warcraft because experts would tear me to shreads before I built my first hut.

Post Sun Jan 27, 2002 10:25 pm
Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

Can't really answer your question but I think I know how you feel
Gothic was so incredibly good (IMHO) that I couldn't appreciate any other RPG released last year. Only played the demos of Arcanum, Pool of Radiance 2 and Wizardry 8 but those games didn't even get close to what Gothic had to offer.
Played some Dark Age of Camelot recently and enjoyed it a lot but it was my 1st time into an MMORPG. So I can't tell you how it compares to others. However, I know that you won't be (player-)killed before you engage in Realm vs. Realm combat and that decision is up to you.

[ This Message was edited by: Moriendor on 2002-01-27 18:57 ]
Post Mon Jan 28, 2002 12:57 am
Rathpig
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Massive Mutliplayer Online Roleplaying Games (MMORPGs):

This is a very special games genre which has risen in popularity since the introduction of Ultima Online (UO) in 1997. Though UO was not the first of this new genre of games, many aspects of UO define the formula for playing the game. Be prepared for a very steep transition into this format if you are heretofore only a fan of single-player games. The time requirement is unbelievable, and the learning curve is often very steep. On top of the time/knowledge factor, be warned you will be dealing with other actual human beings in an interactive environment. This is a blessing and a curse.

Facts about this genre:

1). Very little roleplaying takes place overall. Some great roleplaying communities exist in every game, but if it is primarily roleplaying you seek then research well before dedicating alot of time to a specific game or server.

2). Be prepared to face frustration and incredible amounts of time spent to reach a high level of competition. If you are a "casual" player then the MMORPG genre should be approached cautiously. Entering alone into this strange new world may guarantee a limited stay. This is truely a different world. If you are a competitive player looking for a high degree of player to player challenge, pick a good guild/player association prior to joining the game. (And if Player versus Player combat in a known associaition is your desire be prepared to face alot of hostility for being new to the genre and the format. Alot of dues must be paid.)

3). Older games are less freindly to "newbies" than newer games. Mythic Entertainment's Dark Age of Camelot (DAoC) may be one of the better games on the market for both it's lower learning curve and it's broad base of appeal. But also note that DAoC is very tough as a solo-player for the first two dozen levels due to economic restraints, DAoC is a very linear level "threadmill", and DAoC has a somewhat vapid and rahter incomplete high level game. On the other hand, DAoC has dedicated roleplaying servers (read the rules carefully) and DAoC has player friendly PvP rules (level 40+ though realistically to compete.)

4). Technology wise you are best serve with any game in this genre by using a 750mhz+/256mb/broadband connection machine. You are going to be reliant on you internet connection for your very life.

MMORPGs are ALOT of fun. The lead to close friendships which can last a lifetime. It is really the only games genre I find myself always interested in playing no matter how burned out I become on the details. MMORPGs are also filled with people who are of a criminal bend. "Trust" with your cyber persona should be very guarded. Exploits, hacks, social engineering, and other unsavory actions are all part of the experience. Friendship, reliance, danger, and excitement are also a wonder part of a game experience not possible in a single player linear format.

Good Luck in what ever game you choose, but prior to buying and investing time or money do a little bit of research on the fan sites and official message boards of every game you are interested in trying. If you can find a group of local players to enter the game with this is an even better situation since LAN play makes the MMORPG even better.

Whatever you decide goodluck !
Post Mon Jan 28, 2002 1:59 am
bedwine
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I feel your pain. I suggest that you will enjoy Planescape Torment much better than any other type of crpg. Look on the budget Bin for around $10. The D and D rules aren't so strict. You can build your character to almost invincibe if you want to.

In March Bethesda will release "Morrowind". This game should play much like Gothic. First Person perspective and a genuine Role Playing game. If you have a system that can run DOS games and don't mind dated graphics you could try "Daggerfall" gut be sure to download patches because it was the buggiest game ever when it was released.
Post Mon Jan 28, 2002 2:00 am
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

hehe, MMORPG you say?
Go get Asherons Call bud, its not most MMO where you level to 30-40 and you are maxed out. In AC, the fun dont even start until 20-25 and some of the major quests arent allowed to players until levels 45, 55 and some wont let you in until 70...
But if you want a good head start in MMO and want to try AC, let me know, I have tons and tons and tons of stuff
Post Mon Jan 28, 2002 4:16 pm