Damn you, Warrens. *spoiler*
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Vampire

Author Thread
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Damn you, Warrens. *spoiler*

Well, the Warrens stopped my 'play five characters simultaneously' approach to the game, I think. I don't know how long it took me to wind my way through but it seemed like FOREVER. Very boring level designs.

And combat heavy... not a problem for even my non-combat oriented characters, who tend to have defenses of 8+ and can unarmed-kill even the multi-torso viscious spider things (seriously, my Tremere, who has never improved a 'mundane' fighting skill, just used blood armor and punched his way through.). Combat so far in Bloodlines is its weakest point for me... either the fights are too easy (most of the time) or inflict a ridiculous amount of aggrevated damage to you.

I find myself whacking things to progress the storyline and facing combats with irritation ("*sigh* more heads with arms and sharp teeth") than zeal ("Defeating this Balor is going to take every bit of tactical advantage my party can muster!"). Granted, it is a FPS interface ... but I enjoyed Dues Ex more for it... at least DX knew it was a shooter.

Beating enemies in bloodlines, regardless of character, tends to be 'get close and left click as fast as possible' with the only difference being the amount of damage your character walks away from the fight with on them based on clan, stamina, armor, and skill. I know that's the same in all computer games ever made where you don't die in one hit... but even still somehow it seems a little flat in this excellent game. Then again ... in Arcanum you could defeat the entire game by left-clicking Harm as fast as possible.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Wed Mar 09, 2005 3:29 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Yeah, the Warrens are the most annoying part of the game. Luckily, with Obfuscate 5, using cheats to give my Malk 500 blood, I just ran through the Warrens without bothering to kill everything.
I'll probably do the same with my Nosi when I get him to that point.
Post Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:23 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Second time through a game or area I'd use cheats too if the area doesn't add anything to gameplay. 500 blood would be fun (celerity 5 splatterhouse on a Brujah).

There's a lot of rats hanging about the warrens, at least. Doesn't help you at ALL if you're ventrue ... which I wish the developers had thought of. Had to rest a LOT because I ran out of blood to keep Fortitude up. Thankfully the first three levels of the warrens have exits to the surface for 'snack attacks'...

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

Post Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:58 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Yeah, my Ventrue got stalled out in the Warrens, but luckily, it was my second playthrough of the game, so I didn't feel bad about using cheats to get through the more annoying parts of the game.
Post Fri Mar 11, 2005 6:24 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Warrens kinda wore thin on me for a number of reasons. It is tedious, but it also started out on a bad note for me. I dont like consulting a FAQ as it is, but when I consult a FAQ then find out I did the right thing and it's the games fault then Im pissed. The part in the beginning where you fill the resevoirs and have to basically beat the pump, I would have finished it on like the second try, but for some reason just barely making it around the corner underwater is not enough. I made it, I was around the corner looking at the pump's propellers from the right side, and still it wouldnt let me progress any further.

This led me to believe that I needed to fill the resevoirs, then somehow short out or otherwise trash the pump. Or somthing, I dunno. Running around that stupid room in circles searching every square inch for anything, flicking switches, shocking the hell out of myself, jumping in and out of the water. Finally i consulted the FAQ and did it again and passed it on the first try. Grr!

Then, just the situation I found myself in was sort of disconcerting. You know, it's Friday night and here I am scurrying around some sewer chasing rats. Is this what my life has come to?
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Sat Mar 12, 2005 9:14 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Grr, that annoying pump. It just got to the point where when I reach that part, I turn on the noclip cheat, move over to the resevoir, then turn off the cheat. Much easier. I remember the first time I did it, I swam into the wrong resevoir. I was so irritated. Thanks heavens for noclip cheats. Lowers my blood pressure.

quote:
Originally posted by xSamhainx
Then, just the situation I found myself in was sort of disconcerting. You know, it's Friday night and here I am scurrying around some sewer chasing rats. Is this what my life has come to?

Isn't that what cats normally do?
Post Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:57 am
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

lol Val!
For your information, I dont eat rats.
Only premium, pure-bred mice without growth hormones
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Sun Mar 13, 2005 2:25 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Ah, you're one of those organic mice eaters.
Post Sun Mar 13, 2005 3:23 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

The tank part annoyed me as well because I did everything correct and ... nothing. Spent the next 20 minutes bouncing around the control room (laggiest room I've seen on my computer.), checked a walkthrough, saw I'd done everything right, and tried twice more ... irritating.

Post Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:23 pm
Nukester
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Its funny that I ran into this thread. I too dont consult walkthrough's all that much unless absolutely fed up with the situation, or just totally confused as to what to do next (Arx Fatalis.....). Well, I reached this pump/resevoir level in te sewers while looking for the Nosforatu, and became totally frustrated.

I figured that I had to fill one of the resevoirs to make it through the top opening, but just couldnt figure out how to turn that darn pump off so I could swim forwards. I came to the forum to look for a clue, and low and behold I was doing everything correctly, but still couldnt beat it. I havent tried since since reading this, but it sounds frustrating.

And your saying this is only the beginning of the Warrens ?
Post Sun May 29, 2005 6:47 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

The Warrens has about six levels. The fan is the most irritating part. Use the noclip cheat and save yourself some frustration.
Post Sun May 29, 2005 9:48 pm
Nukester
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I made it on the first try after reading this thread. I just hit the switch and ran like the dickins, jumped in the water and started swimming. I thought I would get stuck but just held the button down to swim forward, and eventually made it. Your right though, it was frustrating.
Post Mon May 30, 2005 4:36 pm
horst wessel
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Those damn sewers, the turning on pump/swimming towards the fan part was the hardest part in the entire game, in my opinion. I made it through the warrens with my Gangrel without any problems other than swimming towards the fan. It was unnecessarily complicated.
The only other really hard part in the game (well, for me) was installing three cameras in the hotel... I got cought 11 times before finally making it
Post Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:15 pm
Guybrush Threepwood
High Emperor
High Emperor

I'd say the werewolf incident was extremely difficult.
Post Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:17 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Once you know how to handle the werewolf, it's really not that bad. *SMASH!*
Post Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:13 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next