Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Gothic 2>>> Bad Reviews and Comparisons??
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
Phil5000
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

I couldn't agree with you more. I adore the games... genuinely love them, and it's sad when a reviewer obviously didn't give them a chance. I love the combat system and totally agree... it makes it so much fun and satisfying when you score a victory. What's fun about pointing at the target and simply clicking the mouse as rapidly as possible? Saddly I think G3 is going that way because, for some reason the devs listened to twerps like those reviewers instead of us!

Personally though I did think they made some odd decisions with the interface screens. Yeah, it's not that tough to just scroll around is it? It's functional. But it's ugly and can be a pain trying to scroll through the inventory when you have a lot of stuff. They could have fixed that by having different sections like one for potions, one for scrolls or whatever. Also, I always thought they should have used those lovely book graphics (when you read a book and it appears on screen) for the log and character screens. Wouldn't that have been better?

Maybe a hotkey for potions but it never bothered me that there is none. What I WOULD NOT like to see is the ability to use potions during a fight, like in Morrowind say. I much prefer that you have to escape from a fight and physically drink the potion or eat the plant to heal. It's more realistic and more fun. Fights in Morrowind come down to who has the most health potions.

It's great to see a new fan. Spread the word!
Post Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:05 am
budweiser10
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

If you check gamerankings.com ; you see that it is right that Gothic 2 didnt get the best reviews. Here are some of the reasons:

- confusing control scheme, especially in battle
- too much inventory/junk. Much navigation here
- No hotkeys for manapotion/healthpotion, had to edit ini file to enable it.
- mage too difficult.
- difficulty of NOTR
- bugs (german version). Most of these got patched before English release
- not good optimiced. You needed a super computer to get a stable framerate, when it was released.

The important is that these issues (perhaps not the last 2) should be better in the next sequel.

Personally Gothic 2 is one of my all time favorites.
Post Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:38 am
rputran
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I am a major Gothic fan and I have played them all several times over. But lets be honest - there is absolutely no need to therefore claim that the game is flawless. The fact is that the controls are quite poor. It is possible to have much smoother controls and better use of the mouse without sacriicing the hardcore nature of the game. There is no great glory in being able to switch between many different keys to get anything done, espcially combat. Much of the fun comes from playing the game intelligently and not being a good keyboard controller!

I think Gothic is great despite this and not because of it. And if they had better controls they would be a game series without parallel - absolutely the best.

I am also amazed that people are constantly chopping off others head to become tall. What is the need to badmouth other games just to prove that Gothic is great?
Post Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:19 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Well spoken (or rather, written), rputran. I agree with your points. Personally, I tend to find game-bashing (as opposed to criticism) childish and very annoying.
Post Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:58 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3