Developer thread: "Differences between Gothic I and II&
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
Damaisius
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Three quick questions

1) In the first game, conversations with characters felt forced forced and bound to the plot. How have you tried to break with this in the sequel.
2) The first game was notorious for a rather dodgy frame rate (due to the rather cool ambitious one world) Will the second game suffer similar problems?
3) What are your favourite inovations in the game (every developer has their pet projects somewhere within each work)?
Post Sat Jul 27, 2002 2:52 pm
KaiRo
Piranha Bytes
Piranha Bytes

@damaisius:

1) there are different types of dialogues. the lion's share of conversations is still bound to the plot. not only that, we actually tell the story though the dialogues, and the npcs guide you through the plot. but nevertheless we added incredibly lots of phrases that have only one purpose: to make the world and the people come to life. you'll be able to chat with npcs about their personal problems and - if you want - help them somehow. but this won't take any effect on the main plot.

2.) to be honest: maybe yes. gothic II uses the same technology as the previous part. we improved the performance drastically by optimizing the engine, but at the same time, the extent of the world and the increased amount of detail (more polygons, high-detail-textures, tons of objects, new fx, etc.) compensate this improvement. but you'll be able to configure almost everything concerning the level of detail so as not to be bothered with a "rather dodgy frame rate".

3.) i'm mostly impressed by the way we transported the gothic's atmosphere into the new world and made it even better. gothic II still feels like gothic, but there's an XXL portion of new stuff to explore and experience. the world enthrals you in a way that i personally haven't seen in any other game before. i think we achieved that by various aspects of the game: the visuals are a feast for the eyes, the story is captivating, the npcs' behaviour reactions are plausible...

@The Hurricane:

1.) compared to gothic I, we changed and reworked some aspects that made the game an action adventure rather than a role playing game. the role you play has a bigger effect on the development of the story in gothic II. but still, you won't be confronted with unnecessary statistics and tables. you'll be told what the people think of your actions and whether they consider you to be good or bad. the intention to keep the tables and statistics to a minimum was something that we didn't want to change at all.

2.) oh yes. we reworked the entire AI system. i can't really explain it to you (maybe game designer and ai scripter mike hoge could!), but i can tell you it's greatly impressive to see how npcs and monsters react.

@ Got Na Katarn:

since the price level rose considerably in gothic II and you can't afford everything, you'll have to forge your own weapons, brew your own potions and even "create" your own runes. that's something we timidly tried in gothic I (remember the smithy?), and it's fully developed in gothic II.

sorry, no reliable info about the voice talents in gothic II right now. we haven't even started to think that through, so you'll have to wait. but of course we'll at least ask all the vocal artists to do the dubbing again.

i think i have to disappoint you concerning the player's dwelling. once again, the player has just arrived in the world when the game starts. he didn't have the time to take up a residence, so you'll feel as homeless and uprooted as in gothic I. by the way, the player will do a lot of travelling and the plot sends him from one place to another, so a home would be rather useless.

@DzD:

1.) yes. every npc has a specific attitude towards you. at first, it depends on the guild (me paladine, he paladine, must be friend), but once again we endowed the npcs with a personal memory. so if you steal something from someone, hurt him/her, offend him/her or whatever, you shouldn't expect to be offered a mission.

2./3./4.) hehe... all right, 4 questions, 2 questions, what's the difference? before you continue reading this, i'd suggest you read my first answer to hurricane (see above). you can do a sneak attack, but that's not a specific feature. it depends on how you carry out your attack. by the way, i haven't played neverwinter nights yet.

thank you for your "happy birthday".

Last edited by KaiRo on Sat Jul 27, 2002 5:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Sat Jul 27, 2002 4:55 pm
sauron38
Rara Avis
Rara Avis

"Create your own runes"?

Will there be quests tied to making them?
Will the runes be customizable?
If so, is the customization based on items that you give/collect to/for the rune-maker?

Thanks!
Post Sat Jul 27, 2002 5:13 pm
Gothic7
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

we get to forge our own weapons, awsome! no more crude swordsi hope...
Post Sat Jul 27, 2002 5:20 pm
KaiRo
Piranha Bytes
Piranha Bytes

quote:
Originally posted by Val
How much more music will there be in Gothic 2 as compared to Gothic 1?
Will the soundtrack for the game be available on CD (in a collectors edition or seperately) or for mp3 download like the sample of the title theme was?

the music system in gothic II is a renewed version of the one we used in gothic I. once again, the music is "interactive", which means that it's dramaturgy depends on the player's actions. when you take a stroll and explore the world, the music is discreet and quiet (yet melodious), when your situation gets menacing, you'll hear that in the music, and when you fight, the music rises up to a climax. to achieve that, we don't use mp3s or something. we rather assemble the music in real time. the directmusic(tm) system mixes all the single notes together during the playing. when you hear a very bombastic arrangement, consider that directmusic is just mixing around 70 single wave-files together.

i don't think that we'll publish the music on a seperate soundtrack cd, but maybe some of the tracks will be avaliable for download. i'll upload a preview of the ingame music in some weeks, you'll find it on our official website.
Post Sat Jul 27, 2002 5:25 pm
DzD
Unknown
Unknown

You havenīt played NWN? Ok, I suggest you do that when you have the time. I allways thought that game developers tried other games just to see how they did it. Anyway, they have a lot of spells, that makes it funny to play as a mage, and they have a lot of weapons and so on. But after all, Gothic wasnīt that kind of game and I expect that Gothic II wont be a game like that either.

And one other thing I am worried about and I know that some people want more of this. One reason that I liked Gothic so mouch was that it wasnīt a dark enviroment. Just look at allmost any RPG. It is allmost allways a sad, dark story in it. I hope that it wont be a dark enviroment, I just hate all dark, sad games. So will it be a darker atmosphere?
His latest, a hit
Cuz the Little One's a mystery to me

Written by - dteowner
Post Sat Jul 27, 2002 5:26 pm
KaiRo
Piranha Bytes
Piranha Bytes

@sauron38:

i don't want to give too much away, but here's some more info:
first of all you have to be initiated into the secrets of creating runes. maybe you'll meet someone who is willing to teach you that. after that, you need the raw material. a special magic device will allow you to let your magic flow into the runestone.

@DzD:

well, i'd love to play the game, but i simply don't have the time. sure, usually we try other games to snitch their ideas , but right now i'd feel bad about playing another game. there's just to much work to do for gothic II.
Post Sat Jul 27, 2002 5:37 pm
DzD
Unknown
Unknown

quote:
Originally posted by KaiRo

@DzD:

well, i'd love to play the game, but i simply don't have the time. sure, usually we try other games to snitch their ideas , but right now i'd feel bad about playing another game. there's just to much work to do for gothic II.
I know you get the time, maybe not tomorrow or untill october, but anyway.

Hmm...snitch ideas. Maybe I can sue you for that. =)

I agree with you, work on Gothic instead of playing another game. Then Gothic gets better.
His latest, a hit
Cuz the Little One's a mystery to me

Written by - dteowner
Post Sat Jul 27, 2002 5:49 pm
goshuto
Wanderer
Wanderer

1) You mentioned problems with the GF2MX. Does that mean I won't be able to play Gothic 2 with my GF2MX400?

2) Do you know if Jowood has already decided in which countries will Gothic be sold?
Post Sat Jul 27, 2002 7:18 pm
[PB]Nico
Keeper of the Bugs
Keeper of the Bugs

One of the programmers is developing on a machine with an GeForce2 MX400 - so it has to work =)
The mentioned 'problem' isn't one. The MX card has less fillrate what makes the game a bit slower - that's all about it.

- nico
Post Sat Jul 27, 2002 9:41 pm
Rainstorm
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

I wouldn't do this normally...but since I saw you only had some days of being here I'll repeat my question.(not surprised if it was missed...thread grew fast...)

Will the atmosphere in G2 be similar to Gothic...?
I mean,are they supressed by a fascist regime or civilisation under a major threat so it's dark and sort of hopeless....or will it be a happier more "normal" world...?
Post Sat Jul 27, 2002 10:10 pm
[PB]Nico
Keeper of the Bugs
Keeper of the Bugs

Hi Rainstorm, that's an question which could been answered by yourself only ( while playing it ).
Personally I like the look and feel of Gothic II ( and/but I am addicted to Gothic ).

- nico
Post Sat Jul 27, 2002 10:49 pm
Ostsol
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Unlike with Gothic 1, will there be an English version of the SDK?
Post Sun Jul 28, 2002 12:28 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Guys,

Thanks for the outstanding opportunity.

1. I realise Dev's don't control this but please ask the distro side to work harder on Australian distribution. Gothic was just released here last month.

2. The control system was often criticised but players who got used to it soon learnt to appreciate it, although I still found inventory management a bit cumbersome. Do you think you can improve the interface without alienating veteran players who appreciated it?
Post Sun Jul 28, 2002 12:36 am
[PB]Nico
Keeper of the Bugs
Keeper of the Bugs

Ostsol:
There is an inofficial english version of the GothicMOD-Kit.
But currently there are only two english MODs in progress...
We don't know if there will be an MOD-Kit for Gothic II.

Dhruin:
You'll like it =) It makes some things easier (includes inventory/trading).

- nico
Post Sun Jul 28, 2002 12:42 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next