MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

That wasn't blood, it was berry juice.

Mediocreties, I absolve you!
Post Fri Dec 19, 2003 3:08 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

I just saw the Return of the King movie tonight, and i must say, it certainly does the books of Tolkien justice. I loved the movies. They are the BEST movies i have EVER SEEN, period. They make Star Wars look like a soap opera.

First off, i am 29 years old, i hope. I am a DnD PnP RPG FREAK !!! uh, anyway

The very first work of serious fiction i ever read was The Hobbit. It must have been fate. I remember to this day, i was 10 years old, looking at books in the public library. Nothing looking very interesting. I had read all the monster books in the library (vampire & werewolf movie picture book, ghost stories, ect). Yes, i was a sick kid. I liked monsters, i looked forward to catching the monster in my closet ever night and frightening the ---- out of him. Anyway back to what i was saying, i was looking in the childrens section of the public library in little-town montana, and suddenly my eyes came upon a strange book called "The Hobbit." I remember opening it up, and lo and behold, i saw for the very first time the Great Map of the Misty Mountains and the Mirkwood, ect, and i was like "FREAKING WOAH DUDE," well i didnt say that like that, i was 10 years old, i didnt know what freaking was; anyway, so i checked out the book, and behold, i read it and was INSPIRED and THE BEGINNING OF PERMANENT GEEKINESS HAD BEGUN! NOOOOOOOooooo !!!

Ahem! anyway, after that i discovered Dungeons and Dragons, and forever more i was totally irreparably converted to geekiness. There is no hope for me anymore, heh.

so the point to this "geeky" story is that it is a GREAT movie and you have GOT to see it. If you refuse i will personally FORCE you to see it, i swear. I will hold you down to see it! And glue your eyeballs OPEN !!!

ahem. go watch the movie. get off your duffs. you've played too many pc games today.

happy christmas and merry new year! [/spoiler]
Post Sat Dec 20, 2003 7:34 am
Lord_Brownie
High Emperor
High Emperor

I thought it odd they cut out the Shire's demise and redemption when the first movie so vividly portrated it when Frodo looks into the magic pool. Other than that, good movie. I enjoyed seeing a large scale battle on film that was more than close up shots.
LB
Post Sat Dec 20, 2003 2:07 pm
Secret Agent Lawanda
The last thing you see...
The last thing you see...

That was a work of art! Beautiful! If it doesn't win Best Film, then I'll burn down the Academy!
Post Sat Dec 20, 2003 6:04 pm
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

I don't give 1/4 of a flipping crap about the Oscars anyway.

Post Sat Dec 20, 2003 8:39 pm
Seth
Last Man Standing
Last Man Standing

No question about it. Classic in the making.
One important reason why this saga was so good, because it was shot simultaneously, so Peter wasn't influenced by critics and fans screaming theirs heads off.

My favorite moment was at the end when four of these hobbitses are sitting in some pub in the Shire, life is going on like nothing happen, nobody is paying any attention to them, after all even kings were bowing to them. And there is this realization that there is whole world beyond The Shire and their little lives will never be the same.
Post Sat Dec 20, 2003 10:50 pm
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

And then Sam gets up and proposes to Rosie.

Post Sun Dec 21, 2003 12:40 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Definitely fantastic. A friend of mine is screaming bloody murder about the lack of a scouring... but honestly, that's one of the least favorite parts of the story to me. Everything is winding down adn then 'oh yeah, you have to kick some bandit butt'.

Cinematically, there was no way they could have made a bunch of hobbits retaking the shire compare to the rest of the movie. Or even fit well, considering how seeing the shire again was what kept everyone going (much more emphasis on this in the movie than the book, I believe).

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Sun Dec 21, 2003 6:10 am
Madigan
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Incomplete

Overall i liked the movie but some changes and omitions were just heart breaking. 1. what happened to the healing hands of Aragon, the hospital and faramir/eyowyn falling in love?
2.what happened to Gandalf confronting Saramon and breaking his staff.. I'll bet you didnt know how the pilantir got in the water. grima throwing it at the ents.
3 The crowning of Eyomer as king of Rohan
4 Halabrid and the rest of the Dunedain that brave the paths of the dead with Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli
5 Merry staying behind in the houses of the healing with Eyowyn and Faramir
6 Merry and Pippin being taller at the end from drinking Ent draughts
7 The scouring of the Shire where the hobbits go back to find the Shire almost in ruins and overtaken by Sauraman.
8 Sam putting on the ring to hide from orcs after taking it off of frodo
9. The mouth or sauron
10.Gollum never tried to turn Sam and Frodo against each other as he did in the movie.
11.The undead only helped Aragorn CAPTURE the ships-after that their oath was fulfilled and they left. THEN some of the Dunedain and the Dol Amroth took over the ships with Aragorn and sailed to Minas Tirith to victory.
12.I'm sure people were sitting there wondering why Denethor was crazy(pilantir). Also, he didn't jump off the top of the city when he was on fire.

Jackson was doing so well with the 1st 2 movies with acceptable omitions, I don't understand why he did this?

Go see the movie, it is good, but lets just hope he writes alot of these things into the extended version. These characters deserve alot better. So do fans!! and especially Tolkien himself!!
Post Sun Dec 21, 2003 7:28 am
Iron Man
Dazed and Confused
Dazed and Confused

quote:
Originally posted by EverythingXen
Cinematically, there was no way they could have made a bunch of hobbits retaking the shire compare to the rest of the movie. Or even fit well, considering how seeing the shire again was what kept everyone going (much more emphasis on this in the movie than the book, I believe).

I agree. Although I liked that part of the book, it would have been far too anti climatic for cinema. Still sad it wasn't in it though.

This box secretly turns into a picture and laughs at YOU personally when you're not looking.
Post Sun Dec 21, 2003 11:05 am
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

Re: Incomplete

quote:
Originally posted by Madigan
Overall i liked the movie but some changes and omitions were just heart breaking.

I'll mention a few of these specifically:

4. Well, the movie decided to give the impression that Aragorn may have been the last of that race, so any others had to be cut.

6. A bit tricky to film properly! More expense for little extra effect.

8. Well, as they decided not to mention the fact that the ringbearers had to leave Middle Earth at the end of the Third Age, the consequences of Sam using the ring weren't relevant, so the action would have been of lesser impact.

10. Artistic licence. But it was a good scene, no?

12. I think the "crazy because he sent his favourite son to his death" theme was a good alternative. They didn't make a big deal of the Palantirs, so including another one would probably just cause confusion.

quote:
Jackson was doing so well with the 1st 2 movies with acceptable omitions, I don't understand why he did this?

Define "acceptable". He didn't bother with the Barrow-Downs, Goldberry and Tom Bombadil, Gollum being captured by Gandalf, Aragorn et al meeting the Ents, the Voice of Saruman, casting out of Saruman, Ghan-buri-ghan, Prince Imrahil...

In the end they have to cut things down, as filming the whole book would have been excessive. As it is, the extended editions are going to run to a total of over ten hours! Most of the omissions were to save time or budget, or to take things in a direction that Jackson preferred - and as director, that's his prerogative!
Post Sun Dec 21, 2003 12:11 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Definitely no way to throw all that extra into it. And with the sheer size of the army they decided to have siege Minas Tirith the army of the undead fulfilling their oath and sweeping all before them is much more impressive looking than a mortal army being raised.... especially when there was so much emphasis on 'not enough time' to raise larger armies in the movie. It had to be instant and unstoppable.

Jackson has already said that most of the forty minutes of extended footage for ROTK will have to do with Saruman. But definitely no scouring.

Much of what happened happened offscreen. Faramir and Eowyn were clearly together when you saw them together during the final shot in Minas Tirath. Eomer was clearly king of the Rohan.

Sam didn't put the ring on because of th greatest artistic license Jackson has taken: The whole wraith-world Sauron sees you thing. The entire time people have been screaming not to put the ring on... to have Sam go 'Well, just this once.' and walk away unscathed would have negated the effect. Hiding in the shadows worked just as well.

Besides, Sam was played up as a true Hero. He didn't need no stinking ring... he went sword to mandible with Shelob! (Hands down the BEST giant spider fight I've ever seen).

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Sun Dec 21, 2003 2:28 pm
sauron38
Rara Avis
Rara Avis

Re: Incomplete

quote:
Originally posted by Madigan
2.what happened to Gandalf confronting Saramon and breaking his staff.. I'll bet you didnt know how the pilantir got in the water. grima throwing it at the ents.

8 minutes of Saruman in the EE.
Post Sun Dec 21, 2003 6:36 pm
Madigan
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I understand the needed cuts and changes, when reading the books there are a few things that stood out for me, that made an impact, and the things that were cut out of the first 2 films i understood. and i can understand these as well. the parts i mentioned, at least some of them had a major impact and were part of what made ROTK a story in whole.

No, they couldn't have fit it all in that wasn't expected, but they could of done alot less melodramatic scenes, especially at the end to bring alot of this into the movie, im glad they will be adding saruman, thats a must, Faramir and eyomer is a must!! the mouth of Sauron would be nice, and i do hope they extend the scene where aragorn must convince the undead to join him
"uninspiring".
These are my only real complaints to an otherwise excellent movie!! I'm just a little partial to Tolkien's work and hated to see things changed when it wasn't nessecary. My biggest purpose in writing these posts is to hopefully inspire more people to actually read the books it's obvious many of you have but i'm betting that we only make up approximatly 5-10% of those who watched the movie....Kudos
Post Sun Dec 21, 2003 6:44 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

I dont have the books anymore, but could someone answer me this one question.

In the end, when Frodo was standing over the fire in mount doom, deciding to keep the ring after all, wasnt Sauron alarmed and started racing his ole Eye self towards the mountain? instead of sitting there doing diddly about it. If i remember correctly, Sauron raced towards the volcano bcuz he knew the ring was about to be destroyed. I was actually looking forward to seeing that, but it didnt happen Maybe i remember wrongly, since last time i read the books was years ago. I swear thats how it happened though.

hey, even if im wrong about that, still it would have been wicked to see the eye of sauron racing over the ashlands toward mount doom...
Post Mon Dec 22, 2003 12:44 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next