Usergroups
What was wrong in Gothic?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
Lanael
City Guard
City Guard

the question is "what was wrong with gothic ?" ???

OK ! let's go :

err...

err...

*) It was never sold in france ! ( there are only a really few french guys knowing it exists... even some game industry people don't know it !! )
*) It has no first-person view mode ( but the controls are perfect for this 3rd person view : what is strange because there were console controls (gamepad-friendly ) for a C-RPG game !!! )
*) Winch bug ( I cannot open the gate of the old camp )

nothing more to say.
Post Wed Aug 14, 2002 6:54 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Things I'd like to change in Gothic in a perfect world -

- Didn't make it to Australia until last month
- Trade screens/controls
- There was mouselook in some versions!?
- Customisation of main character
- Shields and cloaks
- Some balance issues; I think fighters became a little easy while mage development was a little hard in the beginning

The Gothic developers have been excellent in discussing some of these issues in forums etc and some of them have been addressed for GII, so I have no complaints. It's my No.2 game of all time.
Post Thu Aug 15, 2002 3:45 am
Razorwings18
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Besides all the things you said, which I think are all true, I'd add a couple of things...

- Some hardcore RPG aspects are missing. For example, you can play all through Gothic without ever sleeping. After a while of not sleeping, you'd expect your strength and dexerty to start going down until you eventually just fall asleep where you stand. Making camps instead of needing a bed to sleep would've been a good idea (especially when you're far from a camp).

- You're hardly ever attacked unless you get close enough to a generally stationary creature. It would've been a nice touch to make rogues or creatures eventually stalk you to add to the fear factor (Quest for Glory anyone?). Which takes me to the next point...

- There should be more people and creatures travelling around, both from camp to camp and just wandering throughout the land. AFAIK only you and Gor na Drak (Swamp camp to Old Camp to Old mine) travel around. (As a sidenote, I once got myself jumped by 3 snappers at around lvl 4, and while running like hell Gor Na Drak and his Templar friend appeared out of nowhere, killed the snappers, and continued their way to the Old Mine. This happened south of Cavalorn's hut. A pretty rewarding experience.)
Post Mon Aug 19, 2002 3:57 am
Velion
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

hmmmm

there are lots of things wrong with gothic i really think morrowind is better ut i juyst got the game so i will give it a try
Post Mon Aug 19, 2002 4:20 am
Xelis
High Emperor
High Emperor

But Morrowind is Soooo much more complicated then Gothic....

That's why I like Gothic better...
Post Mon Aug 19, 2002 5:08 am
Vilgefortz the mage
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Complication isn't alwais a good thing. Gothic is great because it's simple.

=Member of the RPGDot Warriors=
=Member of the Worshipers of the Written World=
=Member of the RPGDot Shadows=
=Loyal mage of the Alliance of Middle-Earth=
=Member of the Sixth House=
=Member of the Gothic Novel Writers=
=Member of the Nonflamers' Guild=
Post Mon Aug 19, 2002 6:11 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Guys, we donīt really need another Morrowind vs. Gothic discussion.
Post Mon Aug 19, 2002 4:03 pm
Max Killen
Exalted Potentate
Exalted Potentate

The only thing wrong with Gothic was the fact that it took me so long to find the infamous Nellik's Sword
Post Mon Aug 19, 2002 4:58 pm
uncle_sticky
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

There is one more thing that I must admit - and it is not until I decided to have another go at the game - it is sooo poorly balanced!

During my first attempt, I joined the Old Camp. Nothing was wrong with that. But then when I started a new game, I decided I should try the New Camp, and here the troubles began: first, I could not learn how to use crossbow until the OC closed; second, to my utmost dismay I noticed that the goods the traders had on offer were so very much inferrior to the stuff that I was able to purchase during my previous attempt!!! I remember daring into the Orc Cemetary equipped with the Custodian Blade that I bought off Darion in the Sect Camp, while now I had to suffice with the Hammer of Gods, as no two-handed weapons were on sale although I had learned the skill. What' more, even when the OC closed and I was able to buy the "good" stuff from Scorpio, now I realised that it was not nearly as good as before! During my first attempt as an old-camper, Scorpio had sold me a fine Revenge Steel sword (he was sporting the same one, I remember), while now the best piece on his stock was the Mercenary Blade, and the sword he was carrying was also either the Merc's Blade or the Custodian Blade, nor that it matters.

And another thing - I was not able to loot Gomez's chests until I got the Teleport to the Magicians of Fire rune in the last chapter of the game, when it actually did not really matter as opposed to the beginning of the game, when you REALLY need the ore and the stuff.

I do not know the experience you guys had with joining different camps, but what I want to say is that from my point of view, it's either you join the Old Camp and grab all the good stuff, or join any other camp and suck until the time is right for you to stop, which is about the very end of the game. And that's very bad

PS. What's Nellik's sword?
Post Tue Aug 20, 2002 9:42 am
Roach
SBR Belfry Bat
SBR Belfry Bat

quote:
Originally posted by uncle_sticky
PS. What's Nellik's sword?

Here we go again!
*takes a big breath*
Nellik's sword is like Innoses(sp?) Rage, and Urizial(sp?) put together, it is held by the almighty Max Killen, and was given to him by The Swamp Witch after she shaved his head, and it was given to him too fight off Mud who was following Max while wearing his pink teady (Mud not Max, though I'm sure Max would look quite stunning in it)...
*Gasps for air*
Post Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:04 am
Max Killen
Exalted Potentate
Exalted Potentate

Well said
Post Tue Aug 20, 2002 1:51 pm
uncle_sticky
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

And where on earth are you supposed to find this sword? (Provided you're not sh*ttin' me that is )
Post Tue Aug 20, 2002 1:57 pm
Max Killen
Exalted Potentate
Exalted Potentate

quote:
Originally posted by uncle_sticky
And where on earth are you supposed to find this sword? (Provided you're not sh*ttin' me that is )

spoiler (maybe)
To successfully create the infamous Nellik's Sword you must forge Uriziel and Innos' Rage into Nellik's Sword. You will of course need the "Forge Sword" scroll. I found it in Chapter 4 (or 5) on that cliff edge. You will probably have to save the game prior to casting the spell, it is a very difficult spell to cast. IF and when you successfully cast the spell, then and only then will you have the most powerful weapon in the game, namely: the infamous Nellik's Sword. I wouldn't sh*t you about this sword. The story is true, and if it isn't, it should be.
Post Tue Aug 20, 2002 3:21 pm
Vilgefortz the mage
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Well, nice joke I was close to belive in that and go to the cliff edge, but I realized that this scroll doesn't exist. Nice story, very nice

=Member of the RPGDot Warriors=
=Member of the Worshipers of the Written World=
=Member of the RPGDot Shadows=
=Loyal mage of the Alliance of Middle-Earth=
=Member of the Sixth House=
=Member of the Gothic Novel Writers=
=Member of the Nonflamers' Guild=
Post Tue Aug 20, 2002 4:06 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3