View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
How786
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Auto-Advance bug?? please help

I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong.
I've got the setup menu set to auto-advance in combat, but, it simply isn't happening. After issuing orders to whomever, I must manually advance to the next party member to give him orders.
Pretty annoying.....
Any thoughts as to how I can get auto to work?
Thanks
How786
Post Fri Sep 24, 2004 4:38 am
_gator
High Emperor
High Emperor

The auto advancing works by going to the next character without a default action (i.e. sword). This is usually most relevant to spell casters as it will not automatically select another spell for the next round if a spell was already cast. You can also use the number keys ( 1-8 ) to go to a particular character.

Last edited by _gator on Fri Sep 24, 2004 4:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Fri Sep 24, 2004 3:29 pm
How786
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. What am I missing?
One more interesting finding: I reinstalled the game. I CAN get auto-advance to work until the party member in the middle slot on right comes up. After entering his orders, auto-advance stops. I tried it with a couple of different parties and the advance always stops with that party member. So, whether he is 2nd in initiative or fourth....stops after him.
Bizarre........
BTW, patches do NOT affect the issue.
How
Post Fri Sep 24, 2004 3:38 pm
_gator
High Emperor
High Emperor

Let me first clarify what I mean by default action. When the action icon is white (not brown if I'm remembering correctly), then the character already has a default action. This usually is the case if they are using a weapon that is in range (sword if up close to an enemy, or bow if you have arrows). If a character already has an action selected, then the program will not auto-advance to that character.

Now in your case, which characters already have white icons for their actions when the round starts? Which are brown? Is the character in question the last one with a brown icon?

Please let me know if I'm not being clear enough on this.
Post Fri Sep 24, 2004 4:21 pm
How786
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Gator,

I tried again and went into combat. The icons that I see are either WHITE or RED. So, if the party mamber has attack as default and the target is out of range, the chosen action appears RED. An available action, like DEFEND, is white. I've chosen DEFEND for each member and my auto-advance stops at the 4th party member. After I choose DEFEND for him, I no longer advance to party member 5.
I looked but cannot see any BROWN icon. The border around all choices seems brownish.
Am I missing something? Can you check, please?
Can you think of a workaround for the stoppage?
Or, am I wasting time? What happens when you play?
Thanks
How
Post Fri Sep 24, 2004 6:35 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

I've never tried that option. Are you playing continuous mode? I thought the auto-advance was designed to help in continuous mode. Since I play in standard turn-based, I guess I don't see much benefit to the option.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Fri Sep 24, 2004 6:44 pm
How786
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I'm playing in turn-based mode.
Auto-advance saves a lot of clicks in prolonged combat.

How786
Post Fri Sep 24, 2004 6:51 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Fair enough. Not trying to hassle you or anything. I'll check it out when I play tonight.
Post Fri Sep 24, 2004 7:23 pm
_gator
High Emperor
High Emperor

Sorry on the confusing with the colors. Should have been RED in my post, not BROWN....just been a while since I played.

If all of the party member's actions were RED before you started choosing and it does not go to the 5th character after you choose the action for the 4th character, then yes to me it sounds like a bug. I've always played with that option on and have never run into the situation where it would not advance to a "RED" character.

@Dte - I do not have it installed at the moment, so I cannot check it out right now. Thanks for looking into it.
Post Fri Sep 24, 2004 7:54 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

It appears to be just as _gator says-- the autoadvance will only be useful if several characters have a red default action. It makes the first char with a red action the selected char so that you can give him better orders. Then, if there's another char with a red action, it will advance to that char. If all chars have a white default action (even if it's not really a wise choice), the autoadvance does nothing. Now, it might be more useful if you don't use the "autoswap weapons" option. Since I do, I actually had to manufacture situations to test the autoadvance.

At least, that's how it seems to be working for me. If it's not doing that for you, you might have a buggie in your install. Perhaps a fresh installation would help.
Post Sat Sep 25, 2004 4:50 am