[gothic1] Need help with translation to English
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
NicoDE
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

[gothic1] Need help with translation to English

This is the German version of the description which is displayed in the GothicStarter for Gothic I:
quote:
Es herrscht Krieg im Königreich der Menschen. Von Norden her fallen Scharen von Orks in das Land ein. Um die Kampfkraft der königlichen Armee zu erhalten, sind die Schmiede des Reiches unentwegt damit beschäftigt, neue Waffen anzufertigen. Diejenigen, die in dieser Zeit das Gesetz brechen, trifft ein hartes Los: Sie werden zu Zwangsarbeit in der Strafkolonie verurteilt, wo sie tief aus der Erde das ERZ fördern, das für die Herstellung der Waffen benötigt wird.

Das gesamte Gebiet ist von einer magischen Barriere umschlossen; einer Sphäre von zweitausend Meter Durchmesser, die das Gefängnis wie eine Kuppel umspannt. Von außen kann die Barriere problemlos passiert werden; aber kein lebendiges Wesen kann aus ihr entkommen.

Unschuldig wirst du in dieses Gefängnis geworfen und mußt dich dort gegenüber feindlichen Kreaturen behaupten. Für dich gibt es ab sofort nur noch ein Ziel: Zu überleben, um dann irgendwann zu entfliehen.

Weitere Informationen finden Sie unter
http://www.piranha-bytes.com/
And here the Russian description:
quote:
В королевстве людей идёт война. С севера в страну вторгаются орды орков. Для того чтобы поддерживать боевую мощь королевской армии, кузнецы работают дни и ночи напролёт, создавая новое оружие. Жестокий жребий ожидает тех, кто преступает закон в это время: они осуждаются на тяжёлый труд на каторге, где глубоко из-под земли добывается РУДА, столь необходимая для изготовления оружия.

Вся зона окружена магическим барьером - сферой, диаметром 2000 метров, которая накрывает тюрьму как купол. Снаружи барьер впускает всех, но изнутри ни одно живое существо не сможет проскользнуть через него.

Невиновный, ты попадаешь в эту тюрьму, и там ты должен будешь сражаться с её враждебно настроенными обитателями. С этой минуты для тебя есть только одна цель - выжить, чтобы потом когда-нибудь сбежать.

Дальнейшую информацию Вы сможете найти по адресу

It would be very nice if someone can translate this text to English (not 1:1, but the text should reflect the meaning).

Thanks in advance,
Nico

note: there is a cross posting at WoG
Post Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:01 pm
NicoDE
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Suggestions made at WoG:

Sowilo:
quote:
There is war in the realm of men. Orcish hordes are invading the country from the north. The smiths of the kingdom are busily producing weaponry to hold up the combat strength of the royal army. Those who violate the law get a bitter fate: They will be doomed to labour in the penal colony where they have to mine ore deep inside the earth which is needed to manufacture the arms.

The whole area is surrounded by a magic barrier which has an calibre of two thousand metres and is overdrawing the whole prison like a dome. It is no problem to enter it but nothing mortal can escape.

You were thrown innocent into the jail and have to compete with hostile creatures. But there is only one ambition left in your mind: to survive and to escape at any time.

Rashnu:
quote:
War ravages through the kingdom of man. Orc Hordes are invading from the north. To bolster the combat strength of the royal army, the blacksmiths of the empire are constantly forging new weapons. Offenders of the law, [regardless of their crime], are in dire straits. They are sentenced to forced labour in a colony of prisoners where they have to mine the magical ore that is needed for forging the weapons.

The whole area is covered by a magical barrier, a sphere of 2.000 meters in diameter spanning the prison colony like a dome. Anything from the outside easily enters the magical barrier, but no living being ever escapes.

You are thrown into this prison innocently but have to stand up against all hostile inhabitants. For you there can be only one goal: to survive and to escape eventually.

edit4gorath: done

Last edited by NicoDE on Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
Post Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:05 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Check your mail.

Translations are still welcome.
Post Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:07 pm
NicoDE
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

A new translation sent by email:
quote:
There is war in the human kingdom. Hordes of orks are invading the land from the north. To keep up the royal military's fighting strength, the blacksmiths of the realm are constantly producing new weapons. Those who break the law are out of luck: they are sentenced to heavy labor in the penal colony to dig the ORE needed to create weapons.

The area is surrounded by a magical barrier, a sphere of two thousand meters in diameter which spans the prison like a dome. Entering the barrier doesn't pose a problem, but leaving the sphere is impossible... at least for a living being.

You may be innocent, yet you are sent to prison where you have to compete with hostile creatures. From now on, your primary goal is survival... so you might escape one day.

To read more about Gothic, visit the official website:

I think it is time for the native speakers now, to decide which version/combination should be used for the final translation.

Best regards,
Nico
Post Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:34 am
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

Another shot...

i've tried to alter a couple of repetitives (sphere) there is none, "globe" as a ball but halved = semi, also labour (english)
There is war in the human kingdom. Hordes of orcs are invading the land from the north. To maintain the royal military's fighting strength, the blacksmiths of the realm are constantly working to produce new weapons. Those who break the law will find no mercy for they will be sentenced to heavy labour in the penal colony to dig the ore needed to create weapons.

The area is surrounded by a magical barrier, a two thousand metre wide hemisphere which spans the prison like a gaint dome. Entering the barrier doesn't pose a problem, but leaving is impossible... at least for a mortal being.

You may be innocent, yet you are sent to prison where you have to compete with hostile creatures. From now on, your primary goal is survival... and maybe one day...escape.

Post Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:00 pm
NicoDE
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by Wulf
i've tried to alter a couple of repetitives (sphere) there is none, "globe" as a ball but halved = semi, also labour (english)
Many thanks for the hints.
I will start to rebuild the beta release
Post Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:17 pm
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

Here's my version. I've changed some minor things, like "royal military's fighting strength" (sounds awful.). Furthermore IMO "sphere" is better than "hemisphere" in this context. "hemisphere" is also used in the context of "northern hemisphere" etc. and sounds more geography-like.

quote:
There is war in the human kingdom. Hordes of orcs are invading the land from the north. To keep up the strength of the king's troops, the blacksmiths of the realm are constantly producing new weapons. Those who break the law await a terrible fate: they are sentenced to heavy labor in the penal colony to dig the ORE needed to create weapons.

The area is surrounded by a magical barrier, a sphere of two thousand meters in diameter which spans the prison like a dome. Entering the barrier doesn't pose a problem, but leaving the sphere is impossible... at least for a living being.

You may be innocent, yet you are sent to prison where you have to compete with hostile creatures. From now on, your only goal is survival... and eventually finding a way to escape.

Post Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:39 pm
NicoDE
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

OK, back to 'labor' (the default language is English-US, sorry ).

Current version, open to discussion:
quote:
There is war in the human kingdom. Hordes of orcs are invading the land from the north. To keep up the strength of the king's troops, the blacksmiths of the realm are constantly producing new weapons. Those who break the law await a terrible fate: they are sentenced to heavy labor in the penal colony to dig the ORE needed to create weapons.

The area is surrounded by a magical barrier, a sphere of two thousand meters in diameter which spans the prison like a dome. Entering the barrier doesn't pose a problem, but leaving the sphere is impossible... at least for a living creature.

You may be innocent, yet you are sent to prison where you have to compete with hostile creatures. From now on, your only goal is survival... and eventually finding a way to escape.

Post Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:49 pm
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

Sounds very good now, hard to improve upon.

Meter = an instrument for measurement.
Metre = a unit of measured length.
Post Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:09 pm
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

quote:
Originally posted by Wulf
Meter = an instrument for measurement.
Metre = a unit of measured length.

As far as I know both is possible for the length unit.
Post Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:05 pm
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

well, not quite, here's a quick dictionary reference,

Meter - "one who or that which measures"

Metre - "a rhythmical arrangement of syllables into verses"
Metre - "the french standard measure of length"

hope this helps.
Post Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:49 pm
Uriziel
Grand Mage
Grand Mage

Hi Nico Are you back with PB? My condolences to you and PB. Sascha will be missed.

Here is my version, such as it is.........

War rages in the human kingdom. Countless hordes of orcs are invading the land from the north to exterminate or enslave mankind. To arm the king's ever dwindling troops, the blacksmiths of the realm are constantly seeking ways to produce stronger weapons. The magic ore of the penal colony seems to be man's last hope, and anyone committing the slightest crime is condemned to digging it.

Knowing the orcs would see the value of the magic ore, the king ordered the most powerful mages to find a way to protect it. A magical barrier two thousand meters in diameter was created and now spans the prison like a dome. Entering the barrier doesn't pose a problem, but escape is impossible....at least for any living being.

Your innocence or guilt is not important since your goal now is survival in a land of hostile creatures. The barrier above seals the judgement and your fate....or does it?

Peter: I'll tell you what it's not for, son. And when I do, you'll understand why I can never go back to Sea World.
Post Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:58 pm
NicoDE
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by Uriziel
Are you back with PB?
Nope. I'm still a Gothic fan - not more, not less
Post Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:15 pm