FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Something Different
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread

Something Different

This isn't a review, a gripe, a fanboy post, or a question. Amazing, I know.

My wife and I both play MW and what is really standing out to me, and I mean REALLY standing out, is the completely different experiences a person can have even if you're in the same town, or the same building. I'm not talking about mere "open-endedness" here, we've all beat that with a stick until it died. What I'm talking about has implications far beyond non-linear plots and open-ended games. You can't really understand until you're sitting with another person playing next to you, talking to the same NPC, in the same room, or fighting the same mob. The sheer diversity and creativity is gigantic.

I'll only give one minor example, so as not to bore the living hell out of anyone. After roughly a week playing, my wife asks me what something is on her screen. Just a regular mob, mind you, I'm like, "Kill it". I realize she has no weapon. She whips out a lockpick (I shit you not). After the initial shock and spewing beer through my nose from laughing so hard, I see her floating off, well above the mob. To the best of my knowledge, she's still never been in a battle--she just levitates or recalls herself somewhere. She collects plants and other various crap which I barely notice (I have no idea what she spends her time doing other than collecting plants and making shit). I do know she has about 4x the money I do from making potions and selling them. I also know she's higher level than me even after starting over and making a new character. One talent she has learned is that she can tell what virtually any plant is just by looking at it on the screen in the wilderness. She can also look at geography and tell what types of plants would be there. I barely even notice the plants and who knows what else, I blocked them out after the first 10 minutes--they're just obstacles I trample over en route to go kill something.

To make a short story really long and boring, it's much more than mere open-ness. It's difficult to explain, but she's playing the game in such a totally different fashion, that she's (and this is the kicker) almost in a totally different game than the one I'm playing. Her "world" is NOTHING like mine, and I mean that, trust me, I've watched her play. Her mind is just in a totally different place, and when I realized that for the first time the other day, I thought it was the coolest shit ever.

Peace.
Post Sun May 12, 2002 10:25 pm

Zaal
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Fantastic story! An excellent example of how this game is different things to different people.

Zaal
Post Sun May 12, 2002 10:31 pm
Axe_Gaijin
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Speaking as a sufferer of Multiple Character Syndrome I can grasp some of what your saying and relate it to things I've done in past games (i.e. Baldur's Gate, EverQuest and of course Daggerfall.) I've been through those games many times, but the play style for each of my characters was different... Nice story

Axe.
Post Mon May 13, 2002 10:24 am