Combat is wayyyy improved now
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

Combat is wayyyy improved now

I dont know about you guys but Im having more fun in G2 with the fights than with the quests. Example, the castle perimeter (for those who know what Im talking about), and its not even about tanking them...with these new controls I can actually block in time now, strafe successfully now, dip and dip and dive like a real warrior. Some of my heavier fights remind me of choreographed fight scenes with 5 running at me, I drop the first one on first contact, then strafe and all I see are the wind-trails of orc blades whishing passed my ears, block, jump back attack another...
anyway kudos to PB for the revamp on combat! It used to be a chore, now its actually fun
Post Wed Jun 25, 2003 2:38 pm
Iron Man
Dazed and Confused
Dazed and Confused

I have always said "if it isn't broke, then don't fix it". But pb managed to pull it off, I love the blocking animations for each different direction you swing it. You're right about you feeling more immersed. And its nice not having to start out holding everything two handed.

This box secretly turns into a picture and laughs at YOU personally when you're not looking.
Post Wed Jun 25, 2003 4:47 pm
Hagen
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

yup, combat is one of the top features in Gothic! well done devs!
Post Wed Jun 25, 2003 6:11 pm
FetishFool
High Emperor
High Emperor

I actually don't like the new combat controls. Even setting them to Gothic 1 controls doesn't remedy everything.
Like, strafing when I mean to attack left or right.

I don't like the automatic lock onto a target. When I want to strafe away, my character ends up circling the target. I strafe so I can keep an eye on the enemy as I run. Rather than hope to out-speed them, which is impossible anyways since everything is inherently faster than our character.
Post Wed Jun 25, 2003 9:38 pm
Ariel
Harmonious Angel
Harmonious Angel

quote:
Originally posted by FetishFool
I don't like the automatic lock onto a target. When I want to strafe away, my character ends up circling the target. I strafe so I can keep an eye on the enemy as I run. Rather than hope to out-speed them, which is impossible anyways since everything is inherently faster than our character.

Not so! I played as an archer like in the prequel and being able to outrun all enemies is not only possible but a necessity! And do you really expect to be able to outrun anything sideways with both eyes on the pursuers? Just run decently , eyes ahead, and keep on running, around bushes and rocks, cut corners, and if you do it right they will eventually lose sight of you, or if you manage to climb up somewhere they won't reach you. Unless they are experienced Orcs of course, those fierce warriors are a tad smarter than the average beast . . .
Anyway, relying on only my bow I could beat all monsters easily, except for trolls, since their skin is too thick, so I simply lured them to nearby swordfighters.

Skeletons were nasty too... oh dear, the skeletons.

My favorite fight in Gothic 2 was in the beginning of Chapter 5 I believe, where you have to get a particular item that is guarded by two particularly evil skeleton buddies. My melee skills were still underdeveloped, so I had to fight them.. carefully. If one of the skellies got too close, two swings and I was chopped meat. If they were both hunting me at the same time, I could let but one arrow fly and then I had to RUN, or else they would have chopped my head off as well.
So I cautiously lured one out, ran several feet, and nailed him with a few arrows. Thing is, one perfectly aimed shot right between their eyes inflicted a massive amount of about 1/75 damage (!) to their overall health. And after two or three shots I always had to run for my very life, because by then the skeleton had already come dangerously close. A few times it was too close and I barely escaped in one piece, but fortunately there were lots of nice hiding places nearby. To make a long story short, I spent an entire day (Gothic time), from dawn till dusk, fighting against the two undead nightmares, and boy was it fun.
Post Wed Jun 25, 2003 11:07 pm
olaf73
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Over all the combat controls are much improved, if you ask me. My remaining beef is with switching targets accurately, or not being able to move with a locked target. An example, say 3 things attack you. Well, you want to do some damage and then move away from the pack because the other 2 things you are not fighting will chew you up if you just go toe to toe with your target. The problem is, you cant move away, quickly, with a target locked, and if you unlock the target, its a holy pain in the ass to get the one you want targeted again.

olaf
Post Wed Jun 25, 2003 11:38 pm
Gothdick
Village Leader
Village Leader

i think caps lock should toggle target, so you can flick it off quickly and start dodging steel....

the biggest problem i had with combat was because i was playing the game with too high settings, as a result the game was jumpy and the controlls slugish.... so i uhhh, turned them down
Post Sat Jun 28, 2003 3:03 am
Dez
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

Combat feels much more improved now.I can actually win better opponent if i have enough skill .
Post Sat Jun 28, 2003 9:41 am