Usergroups
Jedi Knight II
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Incindium
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Ok I know JKII isn't a CRPG game by any stretch of the genre but it does do a damn fine job making the player feel like they are playing the role of Kyle Katarn. I've purchaced JK2 last Friday to hold me over until Morrowind is released. I got it instead of MM9 or DS because of negative things I've heard about both of those games(although I'm pretty sure I'll pick up MM9 at some point and probably DS as well). Anyway I've not been disappointed. I've been taking my time so I'm only a couple levels into this game, but sofar it totally rocks and I've heard it keeps getting better. It's alot like the first JK game but with better looking graphics and enhanced gameplay. Anyone else here playing JK2? What do you guys think about it.

Edit: Thanks Jaz... I knew I didn't have it quite right..

[ This Message was edited by: Incindium on 2002-04-10 17:18 ]
Post Wed Apr 10, 2002 10:08 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Oooooh dear me, I need that! I played Dark Forces and Jedi Knight and Mystery of the Sith all those years ago!

...and his name is Kyle Katarn, with 'r' .

Post Wed Apr 10, 2002 10:12 pm
Lysander
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

I've finished JKII (and JKI and MotS, for that matter). It's good, but it could have been a lot better (like so many other things). A partial Geo-Mod engine would have been incredible (eg you can use your lightsaber to cut through walls). And the final fight is ridiculously easy, much easier than Jerec.

Make sure you get the dismemberment add-on at this site. It lets you cut off heads, legs, arms, and to cut people in half.

[ This Message was edited by: Lysander on 2002-04-10 17:49 ]
Post Wed Apr 10, 2002 10:48 pm
Gig
Southern Spirit
Southern Spirit

I loved Dungeon Siege! I can't think of enough negative things about it to amount to more that a little grumbling. It's like Arcanum, except you don't have as many stupid stats to figure out how to increase!

You actually don't have to increase any of your stats, that's determined by your playing style.

[ This Message was edited by: Gig on 2002-04-11 06:57 ]
Post Thu Apr 11, 2002 11:53 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Dungeon Siege like Arcanum? Well, that's a 180 from anything I've heard. You mean DS isn't a constant running battle across a series of pregenerated maps with a strict story linearity to follow?

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Thu Apr 11, 2002 12:27 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

quote:

On 2002-04-11 07:27, EverythingXen wrote:
Dungeon Siege like Arcanum? Well, that's a 180 from anything I've heard. You mean DS isn't a constant running battle across a series of pregenerated maps with a strict story linearity to follow?

Yes, good description of DS .
Post Thu Apr 11, 2002 12:31 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

That's what I thought. I don't see how that can compare to Arcanum.... but Gig can, and that's cool.

Post Thu Apr 11, 2002 12:54 pm
Gig
Southern Spirit
Southern Spirit

It Was! It looked the same and had the same feel to the interface!

So yeah, ok, DS had way different gameplay and you didn't have to run back and forth all across the map. It still put my mind to Arcanum and also Evil Islands for that matter.

Don't pick on me! I've only finished four CRPGs, so I don't have that many games to compare to each other. I'm doing the best I can with what I have!

You always make feel guilty or stupid, Xen.

''Perhaps I'm old and tired but I always think that the chances of finding out what really is going on are so absurdly remote that the only thing to do is to say hang the sense of it and just keep yourself occupied. Look at me: I design coastlines. I got an award for Norway.''--Slartibartfast
Post Thu Apr 11, 2002 3:01 pm
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

DS is just a damned fine game. Not much of an RPG, really, just a fantasy setting and stats that go up (but how it is done is extremely innovative!), but it is fun all he way through (even soloing the MP game is fun!).

Post Thu Apr 11, 2002 3:05 pm
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

Dungeon Siege like Arcanum? Thats an insult to all Arcanum fans!

Anyway, JKII is a great game! You realy gets the feel of being a Jedi.
Post Thu Apr 11, 2002 9:41 pm
Gig
Southern Spirit
Southern Spirit

quote:

On 2002-04-11 16:41, Rawis wrote:
Dungeon Siege like Arcanum? Thats an insult to all Arcanum fans!

Yeah, Arcanum was ok... I managed to finish it which is kind of an achievement for me. I liked Dungeon Siege much more, even if the pace took a little getting used to. You have to admit that Arcanum became just a teensy bit tedious and dull after a while. Especially true after you reach level fifty and realize that you can't improve anymore.

Dungeon Siege never gets dull at all.

Besides, I know you don't like DS, I saw all your threads on the Dungeon Siege forum.

''Perhaps I'm old and tired but I always think that the chances of finding out what really is going on are so absurdly remote that the only thing to do is to say hang the sense of it and just keep yourself occupied. Look at me: I design coastlines. I got an award for Norway.''--Slartibartfast
Post Fri Apr 12, 2002 2:00 am
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

Well, there is a big difference between Arcanum and Dungeon Siege, Arcanum is a deeper RPG game while DS is more a hack n' slash, but i like Dungeon Siege...
Post Fri Apr 12, 2002 3:05 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

I never hit level 50 in Arcanum. Not once in the three times I've completed it... so I never ran into the 'no more advancing' thing.

Don't feel guilty and certainly don't feel stupid.

As for dungeon siege... if I can find a demo, I'll consider it... I liked the single play Diablo and D2 for the quick hack-fest lineal romp that it was. It was multiplay with all the exploiters, spammers, cheaters, and 'nerfs' that wrecked them for me...

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Sat Apr 13, 2002 3:31 pm
Gig
Southern Spirit
Southern Spirit

quote:
Originally posted by EverythingXen

Don't feel guilty and certainly don't feel stupid.

'Kay.

quote:
Originally posted by EverythingXen

It was multiplay with all the exploiters, spammers, cheaters, and 'nerfs' that wrecked them for me...

What's a "nerf"?
Post Sun Apr 14, 2002 12:07 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

quote:
Originally posted by Gig
What's a "nerf"?

A nerf is when a game company changes something in the game that a lot of players were using. The game company claims that the feature was being exploited and unbalancing the game.
Example: Diablo 2. People were using the barabarian's whirlwind attack to great effect and gaining experience more quickly than intended, so Blizzard nerfed that ability with a patch.
Post Sun Apr 14, 2002 1:52 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next