View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - Spoilers

Author Thread
Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

You Know You're a Mudcrab When.........

Hi All

I am hoping to get some advice from those of you dedicating great chunks of your lives, to the time muncher that is Morrowind.

Please forgive in advance, that I am not very specific with some names etc. I have a poor memory sometimes... er... what was I saying?

Oh yes. I joined the fine body of men and women that is the Fighters Guild. Ah Haa, let me Buckle that Swash for you sir? and a few worthy quests in, they asked me (not for the first time) to go reclaim a debt.

When I arrive, I learned from the unfortunate mans sister, that he has gone off to a cave somewhere. So donning my Boots of Hiking +3 I yomp over to said cave, only to discover that he has been done in by some nasty types, over an argument involving his having forgotten to record StarTrek for them one evening!

Whipping out my trusty blade ( leave it!) I quickly introduced the nasty blighters to Mr pointy. But this left me short the 2k debt owed to the guild. A sum, which in a staggering display of "thatsnotfairishness" it would now seem that "I" now owe to the guild, if I want to complete the quest.

The solution would seem simple. Collect the items in the cave and sell them to raise the money.

But then I fell fowl of the old "Morrowind Merchants Don't have enough Money to buy expensive items" ploy.

Being a noble sort of Woodelf, I didn't want to resort to cheating or to Mods. So I scoured the net in search of news of Traders that have enough money to buy my Items.

After much searching I learned of a Drunken Mudcrab east of Vivec, near Mzahnch. (yes I am looking a a map) who has 10k to spend. So I adventure my way over there.

Being one sandwich short of a picnic, I didn't think to look into which magic scrolls might make this trip easier and decide instead to do it the old fashioned way.

During the trip, I suffered untold hardships, which quite apart from sore feet, included getting Clubbed by Cliff Racers, Gnawed by Wild Guar and obviously Sliced and Diced by Slaughterfish! But eventually I dragged myself up onto the shore of a small island with only one occupant.... A Drunken Mudcrab trader! Huzzah!

Choking back an emotional tear, I approach the Cunning Crustacean and after listening to his drunken ramblings, I move to close the sale.

Considering my offerings for a short moment, El Crabo Drunko pronounces....... "I don't buy these items"
WHAT????!!!!!!

There you have it dear friends, this is my sad tale, and yes I know it's the old, old Story. Boy meets guild. Guild gives quest. Boy meets Girl. Boy kills badguys. Boy becomes walking Jumblesale. Boy Meets Drunken Mudcrab. Boy Eats Drunken Mudcrab. Ahhhhhh yes. How often have we all heard that story..<sigh>.

Obviously it's Crab Pate for breakfast, but over and above that can anyone offer me any advice on where to go from here? I don't want to dip into my own pocket to close this quest and move on, but it wouldn't be the first time.

All the best

Badger.
Post Sun Sep 29, 2002 8:50 am
OhBrandi
The Pun-Slayer
The Pun-Slayer

Yes, indeed, it is an old, and well worn tale. I myself experienced a similar trial and am thankful that someone pointed me in another direction.

There is a scampy guy called the Creeper in Caldera. He only has 5K (or is it 6?), but he pays full price. And he regenerates his cash every 24 hours.

He does not buy some stuff, but scrolls, potions, armor, weapons and I believe, soul gems are all acceptable merchandise. He is in an upstairs room of a building filled with orcs? I don't recall the name of the place, but turn right out of the mages guild, then turn right again at the next street. The house is on the opposite side of the street, kinda at a corner.

As for Mr. Drunken Mudcrab, he was probably better as an entree than a vendor anyway. He never pays full price (and Creeper does), plus, he was already marinated!

=Member of The Nonflamers' Guild=
=Neverwinter Nights Co-Moderator=
Post Sun Sep 29, 2002 12:22 pm
Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

Thanks OhBrandi

I met upwith the Creeper. Travel the world, meet people... it's an Elfs life for me.

Unfortunately, he also refuses to buy my goods. (Please insert own choice of rude word at this juncture) I got these items from a Quest. does that make a difference?

I'll have to remind myself what they are, but two of them start with the word "Masters" and I think one might be a motar and pessle type thing.

Sorry this is not very well thought out, I'm doing three things at once. I should have checked what the items are before replying. I'll come back later.

Badger.
Post Sun Sep 29, 2002 2:33 pm
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

motar and pessle?

Sounds like Alchemy gear to me. You'll have got your hands on either Masters or Grandmasters Mortar & Pastle, Alembic, Retort or Calcinator.

Yep, the Creeper has no interest in such equipment. He just wants to bang on his drum.

Nalcarya, the master Alchemist in Balmora has about 1300 gold on her, and buys such equipment. If you're still in Caldera, there's a fellow downstairs in the Caldera Mage's Guild who also buys and sells it, but I don't know how much money he has. Also, Caldera's Trader and Pawnbroker should purchase it too. Basically, any Trader, Pawnbroker or Alchemist should be interested. Possibly some others, too.

If the gear is worth more gold than anyone you can find carries, sell it all to Nalcarya in Balmora and purchase a load of expensive potions at the same time - as long as the excess cash from the transaction is less than her cash on hand, she'll be happy. The Creeper likes potions, so you can quickly guild-guide over there and sell the lot for a pile of gold!

Be sure to drop Nalcarya a couple of bribes before starting to trade - she gives much better prices if she likes you!
Post Sun Sep 29, 2002 7:02 pm
Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

You were spot on cfmdobbie, it was Alchemy gear.

Unfortunately at least two of the items are worth 2500 each. So you know what? I've been staring at this quest for weeks now and I've decided to pay the money out of my pocket after all. The debt was 2k. I get to keep half of it for collecting the money, which means I owe 1k. What a bargain! At least I get to move on to the next quest.

Anyway, I stashed the stuff, so maybe I'll get the opportunity to sell it later. Now please excuse me as it seems I've an assassination to perform. Seeing as I had to pay the debt myself for the last one.. let's hope I don't end up having to kill myself for this one.

Yours with a resigned stripe.
Badger.
Post Sun Sep 29, 2002 9:38 pm
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

Trade for Potions!

As I said, try selling a piece to Nalcarya and buy a load of potions at the same time. You can get all her cash on hand (~1300gp), and probably 500-1000gps worth of potions, which the Creeper will be glad to buy. Hey, if you don't like travelling, Ra'Virr the Balmoran Trader will buy up to 800gp's worth of misc goods, including potions.
Post Mon Sep 30, 2002 12:09 pm
Invar
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

If you D/L the "Beasts of Burden - Packguar" mod from www.morrowindfiles.com, it includes a supermerchant with 100,000 gold who buys everything, right at the gate to Balmora. He doesn't pay full price like the mudcrab, though.

The mudcrab and Creeper buy all weapons, armor, booze, and potions. And nothing else.
Post Fri Nov 29, 2002 2:41 am
TDRingerud
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Nord Cap wearing Tiger man

I don't know if there's any truth to it, but, I was told that, and have read on a few pages that, there is a sole island out by the corpusarium that has a chair, and a tiger man with a nordic cap on, upon talking to him he is quiet, but bribing and admoring him to 100 unlocks hidden game secrets, and he marks TWO vendow scamps and the drunken crab on your map, He also said to have oven 5k on him if pickpocketed or killed, I haven't found him, but I have looked, It might be made up, I dunno
Post Sun Dec 15, 2002 12:26 am