Emotional Gaming
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Larinson
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Emotional Gaming

I've just read the very well written article about emotion in games, and wanted to start a topic on it. Has anybody been moved by something in a game? If so what. I can tell you that I have been. It was in Planescape: Torment, the first time I played it through. The whole thing about Ecco (the voiceless prostitute) for some reason made me feel pretty sad, and when I finally managed to get her her voice back it made me particularly happy! This is obviously down to the way that the character was written by the programmers, and brings me back in a way to the previous thread I started on NPCs in games. The characters in P:T are very well written, they all seem different, and Morte is brilliant. I'm currently playing it through again and it is amazing how good it really is.

So, any more emotional gamers?

Oh, and BTW I don't cry at films
Post Fri Aug 08, 2003 1:45 pm
Bach & Baroque
Village Leader
Village Leader

One word: Anachronox.

By leaps and bounds the most emotionally involving game I've ever experienced. The character development, humor, and storyline are all utterly brilliant. Anachronox is one of the rare instances in which I forgot I was playing a game, where that filter of "analyzation" (i.e.: judging graphics, sound, dialogue, etc.) was lifted, and I was wholly enveloped in the proceedings.

I try not to cry at movies too (gotta maintain some degree of a masculine facade). But, like that rare movie that moves me enough, Anachronox had me choked up in some places.
Post Fri Aug 08, 2003 2:23 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

Final Fantasy Games always do it for me. Especially IX & X. I felt a tear at the end of IX, but it didnt quite pop out
Post Fri Aug 08, 2003 2:33 pm
Larinson
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Anachronox - thanks for reminding me! I got a bit of a way through that, but then had to delete it to accomodate a new game (I still labour with an 8GB HD!!). Think I'll reinstall that and have a play through it!
Post Fri Aug 08, 2003 3:19 pm
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

I strongly feel for many CRPG characters, but I'm going to bring the most stupid example Somewhere in Icewind Dale's expansion Heart of Winter there was a little girl - the only kid in the lonely village in the middle of the arctic nowhere. Her mom was constantly drinking in a local inn, and her dad was busy working. She was having fun pretending her brother (she never had one) fell in a well and asking strangers to help him out. Another great game was throwing potatoes in a gravedigger She spent days sitting on a tree near inn and spying on a barkeep... Her story was really sad and moving. I wanted to help her, and I somewhat succeeded... Almost spent a night with her mother, though

P:T had plenty of moving moments, as had many other games. But I suddenly recalled this one, and... what the heck!

R.A.Salvatore The Cleric Quintet. Canticle
Post Fri Aug 08, 2003 3:43 pm
ThouShaltNot
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by Larinson
I've just read the very well written article about emotion in games

Uh, what article is this?

I treat games as another storytelling medium, just like movies and books (although I do consider gameplay important, otherwise I would stick to console style "RPGs"). Emotional hooks are a good thing IMO, and those games whose characters lack emotional reactions to extreme events seem a little flat. Of course, emotional for one person may mean overly melodramatic for another (for example, in Baldur's Gate 2, Jaheirra's reaction to Khalid's death seemed totally bogus to me, but others probably liked it), so it's a fine line for games to walk. One thing I've noticed is that bad voice acting can ruin even the most well written emotional moments (eg Aribeth in Neverwinter Nights).

The moment that stuck with me is in Planescape: Torment (of course!), when the Nameless One looks into that memory stone thingy and witnesses how his previous incarnation manipulated Deionarra.
Post Sat Aug 09, 2003 2:10 am
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

Hey! What are you trying to say?

Console RPG's have just as much gameplay as PC RPG's.
Post Sat Aug 09, 2003 2:21 am
heavensblade
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Ok, im gonna share but please dont laugh....

FF7 when Sephiroth killed Aeris. He was my favourite character until that point and i spend countless hours trying to bring her back to life when a mate of mine told me she could be brought back some how.

Oh, BTW, I dont cry at movies either....well except for the Jay and Silent Bob movies

Post Sat Aug 09, 2003 4:24 am
ShadowWolfe
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Location: In the northern mountains of the western continent.

the only emotion i show in games tends to be frustration!!!!
I HATE dying ... literally hate it ... sometimes when I die I throw "little girlish" hissy fits ... I know its stupid but, it really gets to me dying in a game

.: Amd XP 2700+
.: Geforce FX 5900 Ultra
.: 1024mb DDr pc2700
.: 120GB UDMA 7200 RPM 2MB WD
.: 2 LG LCD Screens @ 19" Viewing
Post Sat Aug 09, 2003 7:07 am